Microsoft launches new all-digital Xbox One S edition next month

While we look to the future of what both Microsoft and Sony have up their sleeves for their next console, that doesn't mean that this generation doesn't have anything left to give. Microsoft has announced the Xbox One S All-Digital Edition, which as the name implies, is a version of the system that includes everything except the disc drive. Targeted as a budget model for those that prefer forgoing physical media, the All Digital will retail for $250, a full $50 less than a standard console. It'll also come with three first party games; Sea of Thieves, Minecraft, and Forza Horizon 3. If you're interested, you'll be able to pick up an Xbox One S All-Digital Edition when it releases next month, on May 7th.

D

Deleted User

Not a bad idea for those that prefer all digital anyway, they can save some space with a slightly smaller console.
It's not worth it for the price difference alone, but the (likely) size difference might make it worth it to some.

It's not smaller. It's the same. . If you count the removed plastic for the disc slot it s even bigger than the original one s . .

And you can go all digital with the one s too plus it's cheaper. No reason at all to buy that one tbh

There s an unboxing and disassemble video on YouTube that shows its exact the same size and after disassembly there s a big empty space in it....

Last edited by ,

contezero

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Maybe there is something interesting under the hood. Removing the ODD frees a lot of space. They could put a 3,5'' HDD, usually faster than the average 2,5'' HDD. And, if they don't redesigned the mainboard, there could be an extra sata connector for a dual disk setup (possibily one SDD and one HDD) but doing that would have been too smart :wink:.

The price tag is disappointing: RRP in Europe is 229 euro but you can buy a new 1TB ODD unit for 199 on Amazon so what's the point? It should cost no more than 149 euro or come with a 2 tb HDD inside for that price.

I love my Xbox one but the marketing department @ M$ did one of the worst job in videogame history: mandatory kinect, high price tag, no reselling/sharing games, no support for peripherals (remote, ir sensor on controllers, kinect itself, TV tuner, keypad), no easy upgrade for internal HDD (when many games requires more than 150 gb for install...), useless features like pass thru hdmi, horrible and slow interface (my ps4 1.76 was much faster navigating the menus).

They continue that way. Nintendo did something similar with the Wii Mini. It didn't ended well...

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
seems weird that they didn't even attempt to reduce the form factor, if they made some super super slim version I could kinda see that maybe some people want something really discreet

but to just keep it all the same but blank out the disk drive frees really lazy

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
In what will doubtless be a surprising move to nobody that has discussed the matter in the past with me. No second hand games, no me getting this.

That said it does mean I will have to memorise what this looks like to avoid it in the future like I have to avoid the GC port less Wiis.

Reactions: CallmeBerto

kevin corms

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
In what will doubtless be a surprising move to nobody that has discussed the matter in the past with me. No second hand games, no me getting this.

That said it does mean I will have to memorise what this looks like to avoid it in the future like I have to avoid the GC port less Wiis.
I feel bad for those that prefer a disk, you only have a few years left. I cant see anyone selling disks by the next decade. Next gen consoles will probably still have disk drives, at least the first versions of them but I think thats the end. Its already happened with pc games, and Im noticing less and less stores selling console games as well.

Last edited by kevin corms,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I feel bad for those that prefer a disk, you only have a few years left. I cant see anyone selling disks by the next decade. Next gen consoles will probably still have disk drives, at least the first versions of them but I think thats the end. Its already happened with pc games, and Im noticing less and less stores selling console games as well.

I have no particular attachment to physical media. It has a few uses and upsides, and has downsides as well, such is the case with most things.
It is the ability to resell (or in my case buy that which others are reselling) that I am primarily concerned with, related to that also being the ability to play/acquire games after the services running them become defunct or devs/pubs making stupid deals and losing the ability to sell a game.

Dimensional

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do they say how much storage space is on the drive? Because it's been calculated that it would take about 4 TBs to fit every XBox One game, and 6 to include the 4K graphics. And none of that is including Xbox 360 and OG Xbox games. So unless they give you a lot of storage space... Hell no. I'll stick with my February bought Xbox One X.

contezero

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Do they say how much storage space is on the drive? Because it's been calculated that it would take about 4 TBs to fit every XBox One game

It will have a 1TB HDD.

But, seriously? 4TB for all games? I have 20 games and I almost filled 1,5 TB. You can always add an external HDD. All games released for the Xbox 360 I think are more than 16tb and they where released on DVDs not 50gigs blu-ray

kevin corms

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Do they say how much storage space is on the drive? Because it's been calculated that it would take about 4 TBs to fit every XBox One game, and 6 to include the 4K graphics. And none of that is including Xbox 360 and OG Xbox games. So unless they give you a lot of storage space... Hell no. I'll stick with my February bought Xbox One X.
Hold on, you do realize that every game you play on xbox one installs to the hard drive right? You cant just play games from disk anymore. Im not sure how anybody would not have noticed, since it takes quite a while to start playing many retail games on the one. 4k graphics dont take up more space either, its just a render resolution... however enhanced games MIGHT (usually they dont) have better textures and higher quality pre rendered videos as well which do take up more space. If you dont believe me check the install sizes yourself, outside of a few exceptions (mostly first party stuff) xbox one s and x games installs are the same size.

Last edited by kevin corms,
Reactions: tai1976

tai1976

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Shameless plug but a disc-less system solves what I perceive to be the Xbox One's biggest Achilles heal.
The Blu-Ray dies the system dies. Granted this is solving an issue Microsoft created by it's own design but it's definitely something to consider.

Personally I own 120+ Xbox One discs (this isn't a brag, I just like them on my shelf) but I hardly use any of them. Why? Because weekly and season sales, game pass, and convenience.

My 7 year old has a Switch and I'll never buy anything but digital games. Why? Not having to transport physical games with a hand held or worrying about games being lost is a great feature.

Game preservation is a consideration but an unrealistic one in today's market. Tell me the last time you put a PS4 or Xbox One game disc in your system then didn't require an online update to even play the game.

Game resale is a consideration but we all rail on GameStop's and others garbage buy back values.

There is value in DVD and Blu-Ray playback but this value is only dwindling and the last thing I need is another DVD or Blu-ray player.

It would have been nice if they made this system smaller and cheaper. $199 is the better price point.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Game resale is a consideration but we all rail on GameStop's and others garbage buy back values.
tbf while people rag on gamestop for their buy-in and resale prices, thats a separate issue, just because car showrooms have shitty buy-in and resale prices doesn't mean we shouldn't care if manufacturers lock cars down to a single user EVER, people are more than welcome to buy and sell games/cars etc amongst themselves without a middle man or go to a middle man that gives better rates, eBay is probably one of the main reasons for places like gamestop struggling because you can just sell directly to the person who wants to buy the item with a 10-15% going to eBay (if you like you can even wait for reduced fee offers to pop up and pay even less) or sell them on places like FB locally, hell i can even say "oh im bored of this game, here you go" and give it to a friend

Last edited by gamesquest1,

kevin corms

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
tbf while people rag on gamestop for their buy-in and resale prices, thats a separate issue, just because car showrooms have shitty buy-in and resale prices doesn't mean we shouldn't care if manufacturers lock cars down to a single user EVER, people are more than welcome to buy and sell games/cars etc amongst themselves without a middle man or go to a middle man that gives better rates, eBay is probably one of the main reasons for places like gamestop struggling because you can just sell directly to the person who wants to buy the item with a 10-15% going to eBay (if you like you can even wait for reduced fee offers to pop up and pay even less) or sell them on places like FB locally, hell i can even say "oh im bored of this game, here you go" and give it to a friend
KIJIJ and craigslist made it so most people only trade and buy from them when they dont want to deal with people.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
people have been saying this for years, we still have dvds and cds being sold by tones of stores, heck and mp3 players have been around for more than a decade and people still sell cds, and now they went even more retro and many songs get vinyl.

Nowadays 4k bd discs get alot of attention and people like to buy them, not to mention people downloading 100gb games would take forever on every internet connections that aren't major city's.

I remember people saying books would die because people will just read on their tablets and phones and books are here to stay still.

A physical media only dies when its replaced by another, the free advertisement companys get from having their products displayed on shelfs around the world is massive, thats why they do those releases with a download code inside because advertisement on stores, the common gamer doesn't go to the e shop or psn or whatever every day or sees game websites to know what has been released, they see it on a store advert or even tv and then buys it physical or digital its free advertisement for devs.

TheRealNGB

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have no particular attachment to physical media. It has a few uses and upsides, and has downsides as well, such is the case with most things.
It is the ability to resell (or in my case buy that which others are reselling) that I am primarily concerned with, related to that also being the ability to play/acquire games after the services running them become defunct or devs/pubs making stupid deals and losing the ability to sell a game.

I think this is the major concern for many as well, if digital markets could work out some sort of license/profile transfer system for people to resell there digital content without violating some TOS that will have it banned, etc. the public opinion regarding all digital content would heavily swing in favor of it instantly relatively speaking.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/ykuU8hnotr0?si=HzEN_fL2UyOn35HQ +1