Tutorial  Updated

Modchip Dock Modification with SAMD21...

Right, didn`t really want to start a new thread with this. But all my photo attachments are used up in the modchip thread which is HERE.

This modifies the dock with a Trinket / rebug SwitchME or whatever, so no need to open the switch.

I`m keeping this basic and to the point.

This is assuming you know how to unscrew the back of the dock, and solder.

All warnings etc etc from the other thread apply.

Decent soldering iron needed...

Look at the FPC connector, with ribbon at the bottom.
The pins we need are pins 14 & 15 counting from the left.

These do not appear to go anywhere apart from this connector. So as a result we have to solder to the connector mounting pins directly.

Method 1 - Zoom in.
DOCK MOD METH1.jpg

Method 2 - Use your own ingenuity to work out where to mount it. Maybe have a micro USB pigtail sticking out so you can disconnect and update the modchip?
DOCK MOD METH2.jpg
To update the trinket after fitting, if you have fitted it permanently, you will probably need a USB-C socket adapter that you can attach inside the dock where the switch goes. Or desolder the wires. Or use one of the chainloaders that forward to the SD card, avoiding the need to update in the future...

Only done this thread very quick as I`m in a hurry today. Got to feed the rabbit.

Let me know how it goes...

More pics so you get the idea... Click on them to zoom.
20181018_135821.jpg 20181018_135832.jpg 20181018_135834.jpg 20181018_135857.jpg

Attachments

• 20181018_135836.jpg
    20181018_135836.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 987
Last edited by mattytrog,

Techjunky90

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The dock is the roadblock here.

The dock runs its own firmware. I`ve dumped the dock code as others have done I`m sure. The dock (as far as I can tell) doesn`t even use the USB 1/2 lines we use to connect dongles etc to the switch. Though this was from only a brief poke round with the meter.

The only way of doing it is by modifying the docks firmware (think its ESP8266 type device - can`t remember) or hardmodding the dock.

The best way of doing it is modding the dock with a DPDT switch on one of the USB ports, allowing USB1/2 passthrough when switched one way, and stock USB the other.
I did some testing it & it's not possible just for the simple fact that the dock & switch do a digital handshake. Manually power off a docked switch, dock will become inactive. Put a switch in rcm mode, dock becomes inactive.

mattytrog

You don`t want to listen to anything I say.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I did some testing it & it's not possible just for the simple fact that the dock & switch do a digital handshake. Manually power off a docked switch, dock will become inactive. Put a switch in rcm mode, dock becomes inactive.
The 3.3v line in the dock is live whenever there is a usb plug plugged in. A buck reg drops it down to 3v. Therefore permitting a payload push if this theoretical switch is in usb2 passthrough mode

Tommy084

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I got method 2 workin :)
Just wondering if that’s the best method because this switch is always in the dock and the rebug is turning is self on even if the switch is loaded and on…

Attachments

• IMG_0842.jpeg
    IMG_0842.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 8

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: never had one before that, and never had one since