Modder engineers world's smallest N64 handheld

n64 handheld.JPG

Only slightly larger than an N64 cartridge: that's how big (or small) modder Gunnar Turnquist engineered his handheld N64 that plays actual game cartridges. He managed to fit his portable console into a 8.4 cm x 11.8 cm x 4.50 cm (3.3 in x 4.64 in x 1.77 in) package complete with a 3.5" LCD screen, a headphone jack, speakers and a built-in battery that lasts for around 1.5 hours. In comparison, the original N64 console measures around a height of 2.87” (72.9 mm), width of 10.23” (259.8 mm) and depth of 7.48” (190 mm).

1.jpg

2.jpg 3.jpg

Even if Gunnar Turnquist completed his project last December, his work officially earned the title of "the world's smallest Nintendo 64 console" by Guinness World Records a couple of days ago. Below you can see Turnquist's video putting the device in action while explaining his design process:

Do you think Nintendo should release an official version of such an "N64 Mini" that also plays cartridges?

:arrow: SOURCE

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Man that is so awesome

I feel like people always got these crazy ideas for if they got rich - like they would travel the world or buy an expensive car. But I would be sitting in a room filled with these hacked together portable consoles.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Do you think Nintendo should release an official version of such an "N64 Mini" that also plays cartridges?
Nope. It doesn't sound like something profitable. It will rely on the used games market / collected cartridges mostly, no income for Nintendo.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
just wait until Nintendo rips both of them (GBORR and the modder) a new one, they never let us have our fun
...for what? The guy bought an N64, cut the PCB down, and shoved it in an enclosure. Literally nothing about that is illegal in any way whatsoever. :rolleyes:

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It looks cool, but IDK about how comfortable it'd be to hold and play. I feel like it needs something to grip onto.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

...for what? The guy bought an N64, cut the PCB down, and shoved it in an enclosure. Literally nothing about that is illegal in any way whatsoever. :rolleyes:

...but if he did it in Japan...he'd have to do this to avoid legal action from the Nintendo clan:

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Did you even watch the video??? And how does the iQue compare whatsoever? It's not even a portable device by any means.

Is portable in the same way the Nes Mini and the Snes Mini are, only without emulation.

It is in Japan since 2019.

Last edited by raxadian,

Prans

Geek, gamer, human
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
No, it isn't. In JP, it's illegal to distribute tools/programs for modifying saves and selling save/console modification services. It's not illegal to go around and cut your PCB and shove it in an enclosure.

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Is portable in the same way the Nes Mini and the Snes Mini are.
Personally I don't class them as portable either. They're no more portable than an original SNES which you could take to a friends house in the same way you could a mini but either way you still need a tv and electricity.

This falls directly into the handheld genre and that's the point i failed to make earlier lol!

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
...but if he did it in Japan...he'd have to do this to avoid legal action from the Nintendo clan:
Wrong, you just can't sell it ...I think a couple of you peeps need to start fully reading up on something before commenting on it, saves embarrassment in the long run! ;)

Looks great anyway - add me to the 'wish I could have a go at doing myself!' list too! Especially when it comes to the N64...

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
It is ilegal to modify devices to make it run custom code that was no intended by the manufacturer, so the law covers modchips and CFWs. Aesthetic modifications are authorized (and huge in japan btw), transplanting chips, custom pcbs, adding screens and custom/third party controllers are all allowed, so this afimation is wrong.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZbUuSmFgMo