Hardware Modding the vita analogue sticks

lpoolm

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Is anyone aware of anyone modding the ps vita analogue sticks to change them for clicking maybe switch sticks to be able to use L3/R3?

I have seen a few mods of people adding copper tape to the rear with buttons to use the L2/R2 so would it be possible to have wires running from the sticks connected to the rear again to activate the L3/R3?

Any input would be great.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Is there some kind of hidden L3/R3 feature, or one added by an external controller? Does any software use it if so (if you are looking at a computer keyboard then chances are several buttons are no longer used and you can press them all you like with no program/OS caring).

Adding some kind of switch setup to it to act as an alternative input for an existing button is one thing, indeed so basic you can probably do it with tape*, making it respond to a thing is does not know and might well be baked into the hardware and operating system** at very low levels is quite another.

*I don't know that I would over the usual find some kind of test point, or if you have to then adapt the existing traces/button pins/whatever, and run wires to whatever kind of switch, turbo input/oscillator, macro input or output from microcontroller that you like but the principle is the same really. That or the layers of tape are being used as a crude type of switch.

**most old hardware has a section of memory the games ultimately use, newer stuff, which would include the vita, tends to have the always running in the background operating system take data from the hardware and give it to the game. Also why you might be able to do control redirection at the OS level rather than needing to hack the specific game (or rewire controllers) like you might have for older systems.

Leeto

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
if you seek to re implement the duel shock controllers analog stick click and replicate it towards the vita, it would have to include a software and hardware mod that would connect to the motherboard of the vita , knowledge in sawtering and software engeneering for this device would be id say more software than hardware. the difficult part would be how to attribute the hardware and link it to the circuitry of the device which would then run as a standard gaming button function. finding out that realm of button functions in games, software speaking; including the circuitry, would prove to probably be the difficult part, for me anyways. as you have mentioned, adding copper tape or other means of generating a physical action within the device is most certainly possible than plausible.

id recommend searching and seeking the knowledge surrounding the software implements part, and finding out what part of the circuitry is involved.

definitely a great idea!

8[)

Anderxale

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm working on this.

Since you can touch the outside of the case with aluminum and a wire, I decided to see if I could instead touch the inside of the touch panel.
Touching in the inside of a 1000 vita rear touch:

I'll be wiring then up to ground so they touch the back with a button press and putting the R3L3 button either under the joystick or through the speaker grill.

R2L2 will have just a tiny switch behind the R1L1 and use extenders to play with or pack away. I haven't worked how to do R2L2 quite... but I have good switches.

Also since the switches are cheap, they will break. They need to remain easily replaceable.

Last edited by Anderxale,
Reactions: Bu2d85

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    I tried to get a slim on a black friday once, but they ran out of stock for the $100 one
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    many ages ago
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You can find them $50-75 nowdays if catch a deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Still remember grabbing this ps4 slim on black Friday for $200 when the msrp was still around 300
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I went to auction at a mom/pops video game store few months ago that was closing, and bought 11 slims for $200, 1 was DOA but 10 work fine. so hella deal. Already rgh3'ed 8 of them. But most younger kids don't even want anymore, unless it plays stupid "fortnight", or newer shit.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Think I'm gonna use my giftcard balance on a nice pair of headphones but $100 is still limited
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Soundcore q30s are nice but they leak so much sound it sounds like speakers
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Ken spend the 100 on a gun and skii mask, wait for a jogger at the park jewelry money and headphones!
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If only Amazon sold guns
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Fucking dick heads think it's a bad idea to get a gun 2 days later
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wait, I thought you were the dickhe...nvm
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got balls on my chin and two dicks on my forehead sir
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sorry, no offense there double dickhead chinballs.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Chicks still love it
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    "Mommy, look, what is that?". "That's your soon to be daddy."
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That you'll only see once
    +2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Double dickhead chinballs is still better than double dickhead eyeballs.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    As in, the balls will grow in your eye sockets.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I paid 5 grand to get them moved to my chin
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    This you?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My hair can't be that cool
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: JOE! :P