Moonlight Wii U

Moonlight Wii U is a port of Moonlight Embedded, which is an open source client for Sunshine and NVIDIA GameStream. Moonlight allows you to stream your full collection of games and applications from your PC to other devices to play them remotely.

It's using the hardware-accelerated h264 library of the Wii U which results in pretty fast decoding.
Using my LAN Adapter 720p@60fps runs almost flawlessly.

Here's a little demo (and april fools) video:

Quick Start

ℹ️ A Wii U LAN Adapter is recommended!
  • Grab the latest version from the releases page and extract it to the root of your SD Card.
  • Enter the IP of your Sunshine/GFE server in the moonlight.conf file located at sd:/wiiu/apps/moonlight.
  • Ensure your Sunshine/GFE server and Wii U are on the same network.
  • If using GFE, turn on Shield Streaming in the GFE settings.
  • Pair Moonlight Wii U with the server.
  • Accept the pairing confirmation on your PC.
  • Connect to the server with Moonlight Wii U.
  • Play games!
Configuration
You can configure all of the documented settings in the moonlight.conf file located at sd:/wiiu/apps/moonlight.
Note that a lot of option are commented out by default, to edit them you need to remove the # in front of them.

Supported controllers
  • Gamepad (can be disabled with the disable_gamepad option).
  • Up to 4 Wii U Pro Controllers and Wii Classic Controllers (Pro).
    The Gamepad needs to be disabled to use the 4th controller.

Troubleshooting

Input doesn't work when using Sunshine

Verify that you've installed Nefarius Virtual Gamepad and restarted your PC after the installation.

The stream disconnects frequently/immediately

Depending on your network connection you need to adjust the configuration to find a stable bitrate and resolution.Try something like this to get started:
Code:
width = 854
height = 480
fps = 30
Code:
bitrate = 1500
Then slowly increase the bitrate until the stream is no longer stable.

Can't find app Steam

Moonlight Wii U tries to start the app "Steam" by default, but sunshine does not have a default Application called "Steam".
You can either rename the app in the moonlight.conf to
Code:
app = Steam Big Picture
which is a default option in sunshine or add a new application called "Steam" in the sunshine configuration.

Releases: https://github.com/GaryOderNichts/moonlight-wiiu/releases
Source code: https://github.com/GaryOderNichts/moonlight-wiiu

Special thanks to agilly1989, rw and QuarkTheAwesome.

Last edited by GaryOderNichts,

Pikaemon

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Help me. (T.T) Pleassss.

Attachments

• IMG_20220929_064536_015.jpg
    IMG_20220929_064536_015.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 91

RoboMarchello

Trophies
XP
Country
Ukraine
Help me. (T.T) Pleassss.
Hello! I'm having the same problem - gbatemp.net/threads/moonlight-wii-u.585995/post-9847515
Here is what I tried:
  • Using different networks
  • Opening ports on my router
  • Opening ports on windows firewall
  • Using open stream
  • Connecting via internal/external ip
  • Connecting the computer to the router via LAN/wifi
  • Changing moonlight wii u version to v1.1 (with GeForce experience version 3.21.0.36)
Could you possibly share some information about your router, Windows version, and maybe about your video card? Also, does streaming work on your other devices(like smartphone, tablet)? Would you also mind sharing your configuration file? What cfw do you use? I use Mocha Cfw, Maybe this is the problem? Your answer would be very helpful because everything I tried above doesn't work🥲 Maybe we could figure out the problem? Thanks!

Last edited by RoboMarchello,

Pikaemon

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Hello! I'm having the same problem - gbatemp.net/threads/moonlight-wii-u.585995/post-9847515
Here is what I tried:
  • Using different networks
  • Opening ports on my router
  • Opening ports on windows firewall
  • Using open stream
  • Connecting via internal/external ip
  • Connecting the computer to the router via LAN/wifi
  • Changing moonlight wii u version to v1.1 (with GeForce experience version 3.21.0.36)
Could you possibly share some information about your router, Windows version, and maybe about your video card? Also, does streaming work on your other devices(like smartphone, tablet)? Would you also mind sharing your configuration file? What cfw do you use? I use Mocha Cfw, Maybe this is the problem? Your answer would be very helpful because everything I tried above doesn't work🥲 Maybe we could figure out the problem? Thanks!
I did it. I use Ethernet Adapter Lan to Usb (Ugreen 20253- Chipset AX88772A) to connect Lan for my Wii U. Are you using a wireless or wired connection?

Sorry for my poor English, I'm from Vietnam

blackarcanis

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi!
I already use this method on my PSVITA; but the wifi card inside the VITA is pretty bad for remote play.
How about the WII U? Does the experience feel really good? (considering the correct network I got).
Thank you!

Rugg

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
i need some help. yesterday i was using moonlight without problems. like 2 hours maybe. today i tried to use it but only i get this screen. i use wifiView attachment 324356
It hangs like this all the time. What could be the reason?
Post automatically merged:

After several attempts, the broadcast started, but immediately hung up. The sound went on for a while, but also disappeared.
WiFi attempts

Last edited by Rugg,

MysticFlipFlop

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Peru
It hangs like this all the time. What could be the reason?
Post automatically merged:

After several attempts, the broadcast started, but immediately hung up. The sound went on for a while, but also disappeared.
WiFi attempts
i uninstalled nvidia drivers and reinstalled them from 0

Rugg

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
After numerous attempts, I found the reason why it does not work.
The windows 11 firewall is to blame for everything. When it is turned off, everything starts working well.
Does anyone know what to add to the exceptions to make it work? I tried to add steam and nvidia, but it did not help.

CrisMod

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Again, can someone tell me if sunshine works with AMD?
I have tested with Sunshine, but the problem from my side - for now - seems Moonlight (and i don't know why), was long time that I don't touch the key folder configuration from Moonlight . And the latest version of Moonlight it jump the Pair B button when you erase the key folder or the entire Moonlight folder. So, when the Moonlight app it starts, it start without let you choose to Pair to the host or connect, but it pass directly to the connection without press anything (and yes, the automatic connection it's disabled from the config file) and it creates the key folder into the SD without configuration of the pair..... maybe you experiencing this? If yes, for this reason you cannot connect (even with IP correct into your Moonlight settings).

Louis Miles

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Is it possible to switch between trackpad and touchscreen mode? For example, where you tap, the mouse also clicks at that location, instead of having to swipe to move the mouse there first. So you could use the gamepad like a graphics tablet for drawing or other things like sculpting (ZBrush, Blender) :)

According to the Moonlight Docs, you have to press a certain button combination on your gamepad to switch between these modes, but they don't seem to work on the Wii U gamepad or a completely different key combination is needed.

EDIT:
Ok, nevermind, you can set this in the config file.

But I have the problem that the mouse pointer is always pressed when I tap. Is there a way to set it so that it only makes a click when you tap, or doesn't make a mouse click but just moves the mouse to the spot?
With JoyToKey I could then use keys for mouse clicks instead.

Last edited by Louis Miles,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I would like a Predator game "Kill Team" it takes place in the Jungle of the first movie, your team is sent to hunt the predator, using current tech drones and a trained team. Set traps use strategy to hunt and trap or kill the predator.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ill stick with my Battlefield. Yea a predator hunting game like that would be cool. Esp if you can be Arnold and say "Get to da choppa"
    +1
    Maybe Arnold could do a cameo voice acting, he is the one briefing you on the mission
    +1
    Honestly surprised they didn't make a tie in game for Predators that movie was awesome
    I was kinda sad the Yakuza guy died sword fighting a predator lol
    The Russian guy went out like a boss
    Double claymores to the face definitely kill a predator lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I went today and looked at a motorcycle someone was selling. I get there and the battery on it was dead, so the guy grabbed a battery charger and hooked it up. He plugged it into the wall, and the motorcycle sparked and started smoking. Come to find out the bike uses a 6 volt battery and the guy had the charger set to 12v. I said sorry to the dude and walked away. I felt bad for him tho.
    Sounds like it would be an exciting ride....
    Not sure I would want something on fire between my legs
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He ruined it basically. Sad cause it was a decent old bike. It would take more money to rewire the bike than it was worth tho.
    Yeah I'm sure at minimum the starter was fried
    Alternator and battery
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Prob alot of fried parts. It was still smoking when I left.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I would've said show me how it rides
    I always wanted one of those Smart Cars with a Hyabusa motor in it.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm getting sick and tired of cheap ass baking pans now
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I think it be cool to have one that would fit in my pickup truck bed, then I could put down ramps n drive it off.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Used this one 5 times already impossible to clean
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You need the $900 copper coated ones, they are good for 10 times cooking before they are un cleanable
    Condoms are only meant to be used once Ken lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Well damn that explains how you were born
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lol