Hardware Multiple External HDD at Once

PityOnU

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just trying to find out if it is possible to have multiple (2) USB HDD's connected to the WiiU at once, each storing different WiiU games. For e.g., games A-M stored on drive 1, N-Z stored on drive 2. Hard to find a definitive answer online.

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Technically yes, but you probably don't need to. The Wii U has a limit to how many titles it will show on the home menu - I'm not sure what the limit is, I think it may be 300 like the 3DS but I'm not sure. I know I've hit it though.

It also won't utilize anything above 2TB, so if you have a 4TB drive it will work but it will only allow you to use 2TB of it. And 2TB is plenty of storage to keep anything worth playing on the Wii U. You'll hit the title limit before you fill the drive.

You're better off getting one hard drive to dedicate to Wii U games, and a separate hard drive for Wii / Gamecube / Emulated games. And if you're going to use two drives, you're better off finding big "desktop" external hard drives that use a separate power cable, rather than the ones that try to power off the USB ports using Y cables. You can use UStealth on your Wii hard drive to stop the Wii U menu from nagging you about the hard drive needing to be formatted.

That's the best setup I've come up with so far.

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Technically yes, but you probably don't need to. The Wii U has a limit to how many titles it will show on the home menu - I'm not sure what the limit is, I think it may be 300 like the 3DS but I'm not sure. I know I've hit it though.

It also won't utilize anything above 2TB, so if you have a 4TB drive it will work but it will only allow you to use 2TB of it. And 2TB is plenty of storage to keep anything worth playing on the Wii U. You'll hit the title limit before you fill the drive.

You're better off getting one hard drive to dedicate to Wii U games, and a separate hard drive for Wii / Gamecube / Emulated games. And if you're going to use two drives, you're better off finding big "desktop" external hard drives that use a separate power cable, rather than the ones that try to power off the USB ports using Y cables. You can use UStealth on your Wii hard drive to stop the Wii U menu from nagging you about the hard drive needing to be formatted.

That's the best setup I've come up with so far.

Actually the answer for his question is no. He wants two hdds both playing Wii U games. You can have one hdd playing Wii U and one playing original Wii (with ustealth) but you cannot have two hdds for Wii U at the same time.

He might not have have near 300 games and two small hdds he wants hooked up we don't really know he didn't say. But he did say he wants them both to be for Wii U so that's a no.

Last edited by ,
Reactions: AQS and x65943

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually the answer for his question is no. He wants two hdds both playing Wii U games. You can have one hdd playing Wii U and one playing original Wii (with ustealth) but you cannot have two hdds for Wii U at the same time.

He might not have have near 300 games and two small hdds he wants hooked up we don't really know he didn't say. But he did say he wants them both to be for Wii U so that's a no.

That's not true, the Wii U can handle two storage devices. You can also move and copy data between them (but they will only be compatible with the Wii U you formatted them on, you can't use them with a different console without wiping them).

I said he "probably" didn't need to because with hard drive prices these days you can easily find a 4TB external drive for around $100, maybe less. 3TB and 2TB drives are even cheaper. Unless he has some older smaller drives laying around he plans on using, there's really no reason to have more than one "Wii U"-formatted drive attached to the Wii U.

Alternatively, if he was really determined to break the title limit he could use Rednand and switch between hard drives, but that's really not recommended and unnecessary.

PIC-2276-EN.jpg

Last edited by RHOPKINS13,
Reactions: TonyNESgri

PityOnU

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the input you two.

For the record - the reason I was asking because I would like to use a couple of those 256GB Ultra Fit USB drives to store the games. Just want to plug them into the back and go.

I was planning on loading pretty much every game ever released onto the console after plugging those little drives in it, and then never messing with it again.

Good shout on the 300 title limit, though. I didn't realize that was a thing. It means I will need to be more selective.

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's not true, the Wii U can handle two storage devices. You can also move and copy data between them (but they will only be compatible with the Wii U you formatted them on, you can't use them with a different console without wiping them).

I said he "probably" didn't need to because with hard drive prices these days you can easily find a 4TB external drive for around $100, maybe less. 3TB and 2TB drives are even cheaper. Unless he has some older smaller drives laying around he plans on using, there's really no reason to have more than one "Wii U"-formatted drive attached to the Wii U.

Alternatively, if he was really determined to break the title limit he could use Rednand and switch between hard drives, but that's really not recommended and unnecessary.

PIC-2276-EN.jpg

That's for data management only ie transferring one to another. You cannot play games off both at the same time.

Reactions: AQS

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was planning on loading pretty much every game ever released onto the console after plugging those little drives in it, and then never messing with it again.

@JustinCredible is right, you can only play games off of one external storage device at a time.

If you really want access to every game released on the console, multiple USB drives may actually work out better. You can technically install as many titles as you want - the home menu itself will only display up to 300 titles. So as long as you don't go over 300 titles on a single USB stick, that might actually work out well for you.

For me, 300 titles is plenty enough. You can easily install every game Nintendo came out with for it, and most of the good third party games as well. All you really miss out on are indie titles, and even then only the crappy ones.

brickmaker

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Can I make a FULL copy on a PC of my Wii U HDD?
To my knowledge - no. Possibly with Linux. I have successfully cloned weird custom-format drives using twin-slot USB drive docks with an off-line clone feature. This enables drive cloning through the dock with only power connected, no PC required. The off-line clone process is a bit quirky in that the target drive MUST be bigger than the source drive to make it work eg 1.5TB source > 2TB destination regardless of how much information is on the drive!
clonedock.jpg

huma_dawii

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To my knowledge - no. Possibly with Linux. I have successfully cloned weird custom-format drives using twin-slot USB drive docks with an off-line clone feature. This enables drive cloning through the dock with only power connected, no PC required. The off-line clone process is a bit quirky in that the target drive MUST be bigger than the source drive to make it work eg 1.5TB source > 2TB destination regardless of how much information is on the drive!View attachment 160382

Well, I guess is possible! :D

Vrmax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just trying to find out if it is possible to have multiple (2) USB HDD's connected to the WiiU at once, each storing different WiiU games. For e.g., games A-M stored on drive 1, N-Z stored on drive 2. Hard to find a definitive answer online.
You don't have to have 2 hard drives. There is a wd fat32 formatting software that will allow you to format even a hard drive larger than 2tb to fat32. I have a single partition extenal 4tb western hard formatted for fat32. It has to be wd and I recommend getting a 3.5 size external hard drive. Now beyond 4tb I am unsure.

droople

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
You don't have to have 2 hard drives. There is a wd fat32 formatting software that will allow you to format even a hard drive larger than 2tb to fat32. I have a single partition extenal 4tb western hard formatted for fat32. It has to be wd and I recommend getting a 3.5 size external hard drive. Now beyond 4tb I am unsure.
Hi Vrmax, do you mean that if I format a 4TB hdd to fat32 and my Wii U will recognize whole 4TB space instead of 2TB?

Cheers,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @btjunior, you act like if you were about 10