Hacking My 2014 PS3 hacking guide/FAQ

xcrimsonstormx

He called me a Nerd, I called him an Ambulance.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know its Possible todo a copy from the PS3 Hard Drive with FTP or mmOS tomy external HDD ... But will I get all files I require?

But im Worried if I have updated my Games.. IDK ... gah1 IM GONNA try this before i get to worked up about it ..

Multima OS will copy all the files that you select, so just make sure that when you copy your files over to the external make sure you copy ALL you files over to the external, but yes using MultimanOS should work fine.

somewhereovertherainbow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
HTC Sensation (Main Phone)
Samsung Galaxy Pocket Neo
Samsung GT-E1080W
Ipad Third Generation
Wii 4.3E (300 Wii + 60 GB)
PS3 Slim 160GB (Rogero w/ Cobra 7.00)
PS3 Slim 160GB (Original Firmware)
btw :)

Andim

Trophies
XP
Country
I have a question. Is there any way to connect to PSN under older version CFWs? When I try, it asks me to update before I can connect. It works fine on 4.53, but PS2 games are broken for me on 4.53 and I don't care to use it.

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
What are the odds hackers find a way to make downgrading possible from 4.XX firmwares to 3.55? Or that they find new exploits in the newer firmwares so CFW becomes possible there too.
I remember the Wii times, where some updates blocked exploits but they just found new ways to circumvent the protection and still make it possible to add the HBC.

Also, with an ODE device like the 3K3Y, homebrew emulators are possible, right?

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see under the ways to mod a PS3 that you mention it being difficult and require soldering in order to downgrade a PS3. Might be useful to mention the E3 Flasher along with the E3 Clip. It's not difficult at all to use and I went that route myself due to not being so great with a soldering iron.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
What are the odds hackers find a way to make downgrading possible from 4.XX firmwares to 3.55?

I take it you mean those PS3 that comes with OFW greater than 3.55, such as Super Slim.

None (0%). The only reason CFW became possible on pre-3.55 OFW was because a huge mistake in ECDSA implementation. ECDSA is used to distinguish whether a particular file comes from hacker or not. On 3.55 OFW and prior Sony kept using the same k value on each ECDSA calculation, even though k needs to be random. This made ECDSA completely useless, and caused GeoHotz able to retrieve the key used in ECDSA calculation.

Starting on 3.56, Sony made k a random value, and used a completely different key to invalided pre-3.55 key. Sony also implemented new metldr to prevent 3.55 or older firmware from running on new machine (think of it as a new boot loader).

Also, with an ODE device like the 3K3Y, homebrew emulators are possible, right?
Yes there is emulator available for ODE.

Reactions: Satangel

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Isn't there also a method to install CFW on 4.x by doing a NAND/NOR backup, then patching that backup and flashing the patched version back to the console?
Instead of downgrading and installing the CFW on the console, you patch the current firmware version on your computer.

If it's not possible, maybe I misunderstood some released tools.
http://www.tortuga-cove.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=127&t=4714&p=22170#p22170

trumpet-205

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Isn't there also a method to install CFW on 4.x by doing a NAND/NOR backup, then patching that backup and flashing the patched version back to the console?
Instead of downgrading and installing the CFW on the console, you patch the current firmware version on your computer.

If it's not possible, maybe I misunderstood some released tools.
http://www.tortuga-cove.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=127&t=4714&p=22170#p22170
You misunderstood the purpose of this tool. This tool is meant to help those who doesn't have a PS3 dongle to enter into FSM (factory service mode).

Before this tool was published you need a PS3 dongle in addition to a hardware flasher to downgrade PS3 firmware. With this tool, you skip the need of FSM, which means no more PS3 dongle. You simply flashed patched image back, and then you can downgrade by installing CFW.

This tool cannot be used on post 3.56 PS3, as Sony implemented new meltdr. There is no way to install CFW on post 3.56 PS3, period.

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
You misunderstood the purpose of this tool. This tool is meant to help those who doesn't have a PS3 dongle to enter into FSM (factory service mode).

Before this tool was published you need a PS3 dongle in addition to a hardware flasher to downgrade PS3 firmware. With this tool, you skip the need of FSM, which means no more PS3 dongle. You simply flashed patched image back, and then you can downgrade by installing CFW.

This tool cannot be used on post 3.56 PS3, as Sony implemented new meltdr. There is no way to install CFW on post 3.56 PS3, period.
Thanks for crushing my hopes, appreciate it! :wink:

Guess I'll have to buy one with a 3K3Y, eventually.

trumpet-205

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for crushing my hopes, appreciate it! :wink:

Guess I'll have to buy one with a 3K3Y, eventually.
You are better off finding a PS3 that is either pre-3.55 or has CFW installed already.

4.55 OFW released by Sony not too long ago briefly stopped ODE (excepting 3k3y flashed with drive key) from working on some models where BD firmware were being flashed. This could be an indication that Sony intends to fight ODE. It is definitely possible to block ODE, since most of them doesn't use drive key, but relying on exploitable games.

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
You are better off finding a PS3 that is either pre-3.55 or has CFW installed already.

4.55 OFW released by Sony not too long ago briefly stopped ODE (excepting 3k3y flashed with drive key) from working on some models where BD firmware were being flashed. This could be an indication that Sony intends to fight ODE. It is definitely possible to block ODE, since most of them doesn't use drive key, but relying on exploitable games.
So they can bypass a hardware mod via a software update?
And can't I just remove the update from the games I play, this is possible on PSP and Wii, not on PS3? If I hardly or even not play online, surely they can't force me to update thus keeping my ODE alive?

trumpet-205

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So they can bypass a hardware mod via a software update?
And can't I just remove the update from the games I play, this is possible on PSP and Wii, not on PS3? If I hardly or even not play online, surely they can't force me to update thus keeping my ODE alive?
ODE on PS3 doesn't work in the same way as you seen in WODE or xkey. They don't use drive key to 100% emulate PS3 BD drive, they instead use compatible retail game disc and exploit it to load games from USB drive. This method is definitely not stealth and Sony definitely can block it (much like how Nintendo constantly blocks flashcart, even though flashcart is supposed to emulate actual cartridge). The only exception is when you supplied your own drive key to 3k3y, but you need CFW to dump the drive key.

As for update, update is forced when playing newer retail games or going on PSN.

somewhereovertherainbow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
20113 - hacking guide - get a 3.55 ps3 - get custom firewire from sites like rebug or cobra/rogero . Use. Don't bother with keys, eboot, and fixes for ps3 games ... maybe for psn games, but not ps3.. for ps3.. just copy to usb.. plug into ps3 .. play. that easy.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Firewire looks like this :
220px-FireWire_cables.jpg

Firmware is the correct name.

I've read brick report with Habib 4.53.
I guess it's better to wait before updating my console, or update to rebug 4.46.1 for now.

I would like more info about webman.
Is it a prx plugin for Cobra custom firmware only?
I've read rebug can be used for VSH plugins too, is webman working with rebug? (probably not compatible with PS1/PS2 iso, but I'm only looking for the ftp and XMB game's integration).

edit:
I found there's a cobra and a non_cobra version.
But you need to launch the "prx Loader" manually if not on a Cobra7 cfw?

Edit2:
Ok, after reading full changelog, I think I understood how it's working.
if you install the "prx loader", you need to launch it after each reboot.
if you want to automatically load it on boot, you need a cobra7 cfw (Rogero or habib) and set it as autoboot in /dev_hdd0/boot_plugins.txt
then edit/replace the xml to add "my games" on XMB.
If you are on habib4.53, also replace stage2.bin

Are plugins safe to use while being online?
or is it better to use stealth multiMAN to mount games?
I guess "prx loader" is not safe while online.

trumpet-205

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Are plugins safe to use while being online?
or is it better to use stealth multiMAN to mount games?
I guess "prx loader" is not safe while online.
I personally never bothered with webman or any prx plugins.

Here is what I do,
* Using Ethernet connection instead of Wireless. Bu default I have Ethernet cable disconnected.
* Using either Irisman (a fork of Iris Manager) or Multiman to mount games.

From here if I want to go online,
* Insert a PS3 retail game disc.
* Make sure the game I wanted to play online has the latest patch installed. You can use PC apps like PS3 Game Updates to download any necessary update pkg file.
* Run PSNPatch, which disables custom syscalls and delete execution history.
* Connect Ethernet cable.
* Finally play mounted game with disc inside, instead of normal no-disc /app/home/ approach.

If I want to buy PSN stuff, I actually bought them on Sony Entertainment store, which is accessible with PC web browser. Once I bought it run PSNPatch on PS3, and use Download List to download bought stuff. That way I avoided the need to use PSN Browser.

Reactions: Cyan

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: