Hacking My EzFlash IV battery is dead?

brkun

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I have this EZ Flash IV for a while (since 2011, to be exact). It's 10 years old. I neved had any issue with battery, but I stopped playing with it for a while... a bunch of years.
Now, it won't hold energy. I tried to leave it on for about 3, 4 days non-stop playing some Mario Kart Advance or Final Fantasy Tactics - the saving returns, but it seems that it don't hold the juice long enough. Any ideas? Should I change the battery to a new one?

Last edited by brkun,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The VL is a rechargeable battery where the CR is not.

It should be the same voltage, and fit within the size (might even be thinner* hopefully you got one with tabs).

*the numbers on a coin cell referring to the size https://www.batteriesandbutter.com/coin_batttery_chart.html

Whether it charges in that model of EZ4 I don't know -- I don't know what the various differences in diodes and resistors in that middle line might be and what goes there as far as a basic trickle charge (strictly speaking lithium is a nightmare https://batteryuniversity.com/index.php/learn/article/charging_lithium_ion_batteries but you can get away with less.

Reactions: brkun

brkun

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The VL is a rechargeable battery where the CR is not.

It should be the same voltage, and fit within the size (might even be thinner* hopefully you got one with tabs).

*the numbers on a coin cell referring to the size https://www.batteriesandbutter.com/coin_batttery_chart.html

Whether it charges in that model of EZ4 I don't know -- I don't know what the various differences in diodes and resistors in that middle line might be and what goes there as far as a basic trickle charge (strictly speaking lithium is a nightmare https://batteryuniversity.com/index.php/learn/article/charging_lithium_ion_batteries but you can get away with less.

The VL2020 is 20 x 2.0

CR2025 is 20 x 2.5, so VL is thinner.

I am gonna search more about the interchange between VL2020 and my EzFlash Model and update this thread soon... the worst case scenario is change the actual battery with another CR2025 from AliExpress. Tnx for the info! :)

Last edited by brkun,

Localhorst86

Robert'); DROP TABLE members;--
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Folowing, as I'm curious about this myself. I have the same cart, and use it frequently, I'd hate my battery to go flat.
the battery will eventually get flat, they are not rechargable batteries (and even then, they'd eventually reach the EOL due to charge cycles. Note that on flashcards with advanced features like an RTC, the battery can drain faster.

Some flashcards have a baterry holder that allows easy replacement of the battery, others (like the ezflash IV) do not - However, tabbed batteries can widely be bought online and they don't require a lot of soldering skill to replace (allthough you should definately be comfortable with soldering, do not make this your first soldering project :))

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Hello.:)

I have ordered the 2025 Battery last Month (with "Solder Tag")

P1020249.JPG

because I got the same "Error Message" last Month.
And an additional Issue:
When I choosed the "File Manager" the (custom Firmware) UI freezes.

After re-flashing with the standard Firmware v2.050 last Week everything is fine again.

P1020251.JPG

Also the "Battery Dry Warning" never appeared since then.:unsure:

Thank you.:)

RadMedusa

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello.:)

I have ordered the 2025 Battery last Month (with "Solder Tag")

View attachment 260308

because I got the same "Error Message" last Month.
And an additional Issue:
When I choosed the "File Manager" the (custom Firmware) UI freezes.

After re-flashing with the standard Firmware v.2.050 last Week everything is fine again.

View attachment 260309

Also the "Battery Dry Warning" never appeared since then.:unsure:

Thank you.:)

Just a follow-up for anyone else, my battery died as well and I had new a CR2505 sitting around from something else, no tabs.

I used a small knife to pop the tabs off the old dead battery in my EZ Flash cart, and then simply taped the tabs onto the fresh battery. It was a dirty job, but it's working fine now. :)

Reactions: Alexander1970

rhodyfren

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So... I can get mine working again if I get a new CR2025+MiniSD 2GB from AliExpress? The EZ-Flash IV already showed leakage but I cleaned it off with some alcohol.
Also have Supercard MiniSD lying around and didn't realized the PCB is hold in place with 2 tine screwes. *AUTSCH*
Didn't used them in a Decade since I haven't had a GBASP lying around. Picrel is
Maybe I should just order an OMEGA but that'd 80€ in my region...

Attachments

• 2024-03-16-22-24-45-324.jpg
    2024-03-16-22-24-45-324.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 11

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: never had one before that, and never had one since