Homebrew [NDS] Yet Another nds-bootstrap Forwarder: more than 40 forwarders are now possible

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
xn--rck9c.xn--tckwe
XP
Country
United States
Is there any way to bring back the animated icons for DSi enhanced games (like how Pokemon Black and White had the shaking Pokeball)?
You'll need to use the old style DSi mode forwarders for that, 3DS games just aren't able to have animated icons. Could probably do DSi mode forwarders for games with animated icons and YANBF forwarders for other games if you want that.
Also, i've followed the guide, and created forwarders for games on my SD card, but when I launch the installed .cia, it ultimately brings me back to the 3DS main menu. However, if I launch the same game in Twilight Menu++, it loads without issue. And I did install the bootstrap.cia file as well, so that isn't the issue.
Hmm, are you sure you installed the DSi side forwarder pack? (DS Forwarder Packs on Universal-Updater, YANBF should also install it)

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You'll need to use the old style DSi mode forwarders for that, 3DS games just aren't able to have animated icons. Could probably do DSi mode forwarders for games with animated icons and YANBF forwarders for other games if you want that.

Hmm, are you sure you installed the DSi side forwarder pack? (DS Forwarder Packs on Universal-Updater, YANBF should also install it)
I have installed the DSi side forwarder pack, but nothing seems to launch. Like the 3DS goes to a black screen for about 20 seconds maybe, and eventually just pushes you back to the home menu. It's a real head scratcher. I haven't tried using the Universal-Updater instead for the Forwarder packs, maybe that might make a difference? I'll give that a try, not sure what else to try at this point.

Yrouel

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I have installed the DSi side forwarder pack, but nothing seems to launch. Like the 3DS goes to a black screen for about 20 seconds maybe, and eventually just pushes you back to the home menu. It's a real head scratcher. I haven't tried using the Universal-Updater instead for the Forwarder packs, maybe that might make a difference? I'll give that a try, not sure what else to try at this point.

Do you have apfix.pck inside _nds/ntr-forwarder/ ?

pietempgba

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there any way to bring back the animated icons for DSi enhanced games (like how Pokemon Black and White had the shaking Pokeball)?

Also, i've followed the guide, and created forwarders for games on my SD card, but when I launch the installed .cia, it ultimately brings me back to the 3DS main menu. However, if I launch the same game in Twilight Menu++, it loads without issue. And I did install the bootstrap.cia file as well, so that isn't the issue.
I think animated icons are a dsiware only thing and how YANBF works is that it makes a 3ds game and not a dsiware one because dsiware is limited to 40 titles.

Reactions: lifehackerhansol

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you have apfix.pck inside _nds/ntr-forwarder/ ?
I did, but it still wasn't working. It's alright though, I didn't realize there were the DSiware alternative for NDS Bootstrap games, so I just went that route instead which does work. Get to keep my animated icons too.

Yrouel

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hey @Pk11 would it be possible to add an option to the NTR_Forwarder (sdcard.nds) per-game settings to force widescreen? At the moment if there is no binary patch in the widescreen.pck file it's not possible to launch the game "stretched".

However for example when I forced Chrono Trigger to be launched in widescreen (I added a blank binary patch and remade the pck) it doesn't look too bad

scionae

*clicking circles*
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
So, even after having apfix.pck inside _nds/ntr-forwarder/, Pokèmon White 2 is still giving me a white screen and not booting. Any ideas?

Edit: Nvm it worked.

Last edited by scionae,

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
xn--rck9c.xn--tckwe
XP
Country
United States
Hey @Pk11 would it be possible to add an option to the NTR_Forwarder (sdcard.nds) per-game settings to force widescreen? At the moment if there is no binary patch in the widescreen.pck file it's not possible to launch the game "stretched".

However for example when I forced Chrono Trigger to be launched in widescreen (I added a blank binary patch and remade the pck) it doesn't look too bad
Added in #10, I've attached a build.

Attachments

• sdcard.nds.zip
    170.2 KB · Views: 59
Reactions: ber71 and Yrouel

kero_jr

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Hi,
thank you so much for this amazing project :)
Unfortunately, I followed the different steps but i still got a 'failed to launch CIA. Please reinstall boostrap.cia from YANBF release" when running any game installed this way on the 3ds home.
I reinstalled the bootstrap.cia from all the different updated versions, trying my luck, but i always got the same message.
Any idea why ?

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
xn--rck9c.xn--tckwe
XP
Country
United States
Hi,
thank you so much for this amazing project :)
Unfortunately, I followed the different steps but i still got a 'failed to launch CIA. Please reinstall boostrap.cia from YANBF release" when running any game installed this way on the 3ds home.
I reinstalled the bootstrap.cia from all the different updated versions, trying my luck, but i always got the same message.
Any idea why ?
Have you tried installing YANBF from Universal-Updater? That could maybe help if not.

kero_jr

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Have you tried installing YANBF from Universal-Updater? That could maybe help if not.
It actually worked ! Thank you very much (also for the quick answer) :)
Am I supposed to keep the roms (.nds files) on my sd card now ? Or was it just needed for the generator process ? (i guess the second one but just to be sure, newbie here !)

lifehackerhansol

i write working(?) code
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It actually worked ! Thank you very much (also for the quick answer) :)
Am I supposed to keep the roms (.nds files) on my sd card now ? Or was it just needed for the generator process ? (i guess the second one but just to be sure, newbie here !)
It needs to be on the SD card. That's the idea of the forwarder: all it is is a shortcut to the ROM on the SD card.

Yrouel

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
@Pk11 out of curiosity if you do a fresh clone of the NTR_Forwarder and just try to build the SD Card part of it does it break for you too because of the space in the path?

(If I just remove the space in "SD Card" it works)

I kinda feel nostalgic, it has been a while since spaces in a path gave me issues but apparently from what I'm reading make does have issues with spaces go figure

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
xn--rck9c.xn--tckwe
XP
Country
United States
@Pk11 out of curiosity if you do a fresh clone of the NTR_Forwarder and just try to build the SD Card part of it does it break for you too because of the space in the path?

(If I just remove the space in "SD Card" it works)

I kinda feel nostalgic, it has been a while since spaces in a path gave me issues but apparently from what I'm reading make does have issues with spaces go figure
Yeah, dunno how Robz builds it but I always need to rename (I do to sd), build, rename back.

Yrouel

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Yeah, dunno how Robz builds it but I always need to rename (I do to sd), build, rename back.
I wonder if has a similar workaround and just doesn't bother to commit a "spaceless" version or if perhaps just doesn't like having like underscores in the repo.
Anyway I'm glad I'm not the only one and it's not a big deal anyway I won't be recompiling that often at all so...

Reactions: Pk11

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's the sort of thing that happens to me with builds, so I just rename say new folder to some random letter since it will be a temp folder anyway.

Maxwellp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Except for starting a game while holding 'Y' and then changing the clock speed to TWL, is it possible to set a higher clock speed by default for every game? I tried editing the .ini files but it didn't take effect.

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
xn--rck9c.xn--tckwe
XP
Country
United States
Except for starting a game while holding 'Y' and then changing the clock speed to TWL, is it possible to set a higher clock speed by default for every game? I tried editing the .ini files but it didn't take effect.
There isn't, 133 MHz tends to cause problems or do nothing more than it helps so it's best to keep 67 MHz as the default and only up it when there's a reason to. Any game intended to make use of it will already run in DSi Mode and thus have it enabled automatically.

Reactions: Takokeshi

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIpfWORQWhU +1