Homebrew [NDS] Yet Another nds-bootstrap Forwarder: more than 40 forwarders are now possible

Maxouille

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello hihi, I installed this from the universal db but I also need to install other things from my PC in order to create shorcuts right?
for the moment I would like to uninstall this but it seems that all the files are sprinkled all over my sd card rip me help pls

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
xn--rck9c.xn--tckwe
XP
Country
United States
Hello hihi, I installed this from the universal db but I also need to install other things from my PC in order to create shorcuts right?
for the moment I would like to uninstall this but it seems that all the files are sprinkled all over my sd card rip me help pls
To uninstall:
  1. Delete sd:/_nds/ntr-forwarder and sd:/_nds/ntr_forwarder.ini
    • If you don't use TWiLight Menu++ or anything else that uses _nds you can also delete the whole _nds folder
    • if you use other DS forwarders, skip this step
  2. Open FBI, select Titles, wait for the list to load, and at the very bottom (in dark blue) select YANBF TWLNAND Booter and delete it
  3. Using either FBI or System Settings delete any forwarders if you have any, though sounds like you don't

v1.5.1

lifehackerhansol

i write working(?) code
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
YANBF v1.5.1

https://github.com/lifehackerhansol/YANBF/releases/tag/v1.5.1

Bug fix

• Attempted to fix Windows distribution being flagged as a virus.
    • cx_Freeze is used in place of PyInstaller.
  • Apps are now properly chmod +x'd.
    • Linux and macOS releases are now double-zipped.
Please update the SD Forwarder Packs or YANBF from Universal-Updater, if you have not already.

Reactions: Pk11 and RocketRobz

PatrickK

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I beg your pardon. I don't want to disturb the bugfixing. I just wanted to say thank you.
This new forwarder is so great :D Not to be limited to the 40.
Runs so far without any problems
I have absolutely no idea about programming, for me it's just magic you're doing there.

Absolutely unimportant side question that has certainly been answered long ago and I'm just too stupid to find it..:
In the YANBF-GUI, is there a possibility additionally to "Set Box Art", to "Set the Audio" (Select ton) for a Titel.
When scroling to my ds-library every (most) Game makes this "ding-ding...." sound. You now what i mean^^

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
xn--rck9c.xn--tckwe
XP
Country
United States
I beg your pardon. I don't want to disturb the bugfixing. I just wanted to say thank you.
This new forwarder is so great :D Not to be limited to the 40.
Runs so far without any problems
I have absolutely no idea about programming, for me it's just magic you're doing there.

Absolutely unimportant side question that has certainly been answered long ago and I'm just too stupid to find it..:
In the YANBF-GUI, is there a possibility additionally to "Set Box Art", to "Set the Audio" (Select ton) for a Titel.
When scroling to my ds-library every (most) Game makes this "ding-ding...." sound. You now what i mean^^
If you use it CLI you can do -s path/to/sound.wav to tell it a WAV file to use, I don't think there's an option in the GUI yet though...

Yrouel

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Ah ok, thanks anyway^^
A workaround if you don't want to use the command line interface is to replace the file dsboot.wav inside the folder generator/data with the sound you want (using the same file name) and then proceed to make the forwarder with the GUI (keep a copy of the original wav).

The sound file needs to be a PCM 16bit wav and 3 seconds long max

(I'm assuming the GUI uses the same files the CLI uses)

PatrickK

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
A workaround if you don't want to use the command line interface is to replace the file dsboot.wav inside the folder generator/data with the sound you want (using the same file name) and then proceed to make the forwarder with the GUI (keep a copy of the original wav).

The sound file needs to be a PCM 16bit wav and 3 seconds long max

(I'm assuming the GUI uses the same files the CLI uses)
Ahhhh. Thank you very much. This solution works^^
Bit anoying to manually change for each titel, but that totaly fine, it Works :)

Reactions: Yrouel

MobileForce

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi, this looks great, however, I do not like to pop out my SD card every time to make a forwarder. I am using an FTP client (FileZilla) but it can't drag and drop files into the GUI. Is it possible to generate forwarders while connected to FTP (FTPD v3.1.0) or would connecting my 3DS to my PC with the 3DS' built in FTP work? Is it even possible without having the SD Card mounted directly to PC? thank you.
Now before I actually go through this trouble, It is indeed possible to launch the games themselves in 3DS mode (which then lets me go back to the home menu mid-game), is that correct?
EDIT: ok so connecting to the PC with the new3DS' built in connection works, the Generator GUI doesn't complain, but downloading the CIA either takes forever or just doesn't work (i've waited like 15 minutes now for a single CIA and nothing showed up). The GUI, when given the following input, gives me the following error:
generator \\3DS-1436\microSD\roms\nds\BigBangMini.nds
Failed to find Nintendo 3DS folder. Is the ROM on the SD Card?
(there is a 3ds folder and the rom is in the roms\nds folder on the SD card...)

Here's the steps I took, in order:
1) installed YANBF from the Universal updater
2) connected my N3DS to my PC with the built-in 3DS feature in microSD management
3a)used the gui to generate the forwarder for a game from \\3DS-####\microSD\roms\nds - which then wouldn't download onto the 3DS (with no error provided)
3b) tried to use the CLI to generate the forwarder, which failed as seen above
the cias folder remains empty. help please haha

EDIT2: in the "logs" folder in the generator folder it does show me the same error as presented in the CLI.

EDIT3: this doesn't work because apparently i can't navigate to \\3DS-####\ through CMD, so no wonder that neither the CLI nor the program work. How do i navigate to my 3DS folder in the CLI / make it a network drive? or does it actually only work with the microSD card inserted into my PC?

Last edited by MobileForce,

Naendow

Brick-Master
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I don't know if that has something to do with YANBF itself, but games do need a long time to load on my New 3DS. I can't imagine that 55 seconds is the normal behaviour. Especially if TWLM++ on my DSi just needs a few. My SD card is a 128GB SanDisk formatted on FAT32 with 32KB cluster size. Is there anything wrong with this setup or can the problem be somewhere else?

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
xn--rck9c.xn--tckwe
XP
Country
United States
I don't know if that has something to do with YANBF itself, but games do need a long time to load on my New 3DS. I can't imagine that 55 seconds is the normal behaviour. Especially if TWLM++ on my DSi just needs a few. My SD card is a 128GB SanDisk formatted on FAT32 with 32KB cluster size. Is there anything wrong with this setup or can the problem be somewhere else?
Reformat to 64 KB clusters, on 3DS you need to use 64 KB clusters with 128 GB cards or it'll be really slow and sometimes buggy.

https://3ds.hacks.guide/formatting-sd-(linux)
https://3ds.hacks.guide/formatting-sd-(mac)
https://3ds.hacks.guide/formatting-sd-(windows)

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you also need 64 KB cluster size to fix that screen tearing issue with gba games. I had that problem, and switching fixed it.

Naendow

Brick-Master
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
That explains some bugs that I had with nds-bootstrap. I think that there was a reason why I formatted my card this way, but I'll try it out. Thx. ^^

Yrouel

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
@MobileForce I found a way that works for me on Mac and you should be able to do the same in Windows using this guide: How to map or add a Network Location or Map FTP Drive in Windows 11/10.

Using the generator from the CLI (I'm not familiar with the GUI) you should be able to create a forwarder pointing it to the .nds in the mapped drive via ftp (using ftpd on the 3DS). The caveat is that it seems you need to manually specify an output for the cia on a local directory instead of letting it use its default directory. You can simply copy the cia over manually afterwards.

The command would be:

Code:
generator -o C:\localpath\game.cia -b banner.png -s sound.wav X:\remotepath\game.nds

The difference between what you were doing and this way is that the remote path is mapped to a local drive which means it'll appear as a local path which should successfully "trick" the generator. Replace the drive letters as appropriate for your machine of course.

Custom banner and sound are optional but might as well add them imo (remember the sound needs to be a 16 bit PCM wav maximum 3 seconds long and the banner a 256x128 png)

And yes to answer your question you can close the game pressing home at any moment, of course you will lose any unsaved progress.

Last edited by Yrouel,

MobileForce

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@Yrouel
I managed to make it work with the following
1) connect to the 3DS with microSD management on the N3DS
2) open CMD in elevated mode and type in: "net use A:\\3DS-####\microSD" (# being the number displayed by your 3DS), you can change A to any drive letter that suits you.
3) do as you said above. The banner was automatically created for me for some reason, despite not having provided one myself.

This works, wish it could be done in the GUI as well. However the games don't actually play in 3DS mode so this is useless to me hahah, oh well. That might just be a limitation of the 3DS. In any case, I hope this information finds someone who might one day need it.

Naendow

Brick-Master
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I've reformated my SD now and that makes loading times way better. The thing is that games still need around 42 seconds to boot. Is there something I can do?

spitzeqc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have created a fork of the GUI with sound support. A pull request is currently pending, but until it is approved/denied you can build it yourself from the 'sound' branch, or wait for me to upload packages later today

Currently it does not check to make sure the wav file is < 3 seconds, so make sure you dont use files that are too long

I cant upload links (new account), so github.eee /spitzeqc/YANBF-Generator-Sound-Support/tree/sound

EDIT:
Windows and Linux packages have been uploaded, but I have not been able to build for Mac

Last edited by spitzeqc,

Yrouel

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I've reformated my SD now and that makes loading times way better. The thing is that games still need around 42 seconds to boot. Is there something I can do?
Sounds about right. Unfortunately I don't think it can be improved much because the console has to reboot in DS mode and that's simply how it works

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, on that android PC?
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'd consider Chromebooks an Android PC.
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, new Doctor Who is on tomorrow... Hopefully this season is better than the last.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, never watched doctor who
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    well guys, i went to the library today
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What did you learn?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    since my sister said manga was a good gateway into anime, i decided to get a manga, i was going to get one punch man, but volume 1 wasn't there
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Well, what about Dr. What? Don't leave him out. @BigOnYa
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    and so i got mashle instead, which is actually quite good
  • O @ OhHiNick:
    GUYS YOU CAN LAUNCH HEALTH AND SAFETY INFO IN AROMA NOW
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan,i only watched anime
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    for anyone wondering what that is, basically, it's about the one person in the world without magic, instead he's just dummy strong
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Dr. What and Dr. Where got lost together somewhere in time, Dr. When is looking for them
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    What about Dr. How?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    OR DR. WHY?
  • O @ OhHiNick:
    @Xdqwerty sorry i get excited when i get to see what type of laser the wii u uses
    They ALL went to Nurse Why's house
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fun fact: SCPs started from some Dr. Who fanfic or smth on 4chan
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Dr How and Why, will be in the prequel
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, or dr when
  • O @ OhHiNick:
    dr what
    +1
    ooohhh the steamy scene with Nurse Why. omg :blush:
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @Xdqwerty is Dr. Wut
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    My wifey gets mad and tells me its a bad habit to bite your nails, even though I told her I washed my feet first.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: My wifey gets mad and tells me its a bad habit to bite your nails, even though I told her I...