Hardware Need help with getting a new battery [PSP 3004]

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I'm going back to my mother's soon and there's all sorts of shops there selling parts for older systems, so thinking of grabbing a new battery for my PSP 3004. I'm still using the stock 1200mAh one since I first got it back around January of 2011, but the charge has gone down significantly, PSP indicator shows it's actual capacity is currently at around just 840mAh, which is just a bit too short for my liking since I hate having to charge it (short cable is annoying when playing)... Now, thing is that while I can find the same 1200mAh battery, I have also found some others that are either 2400mAh or 3600mAh, so want to know what you guys think about them and I've also found a 1800mAh one from another manufacturer.

The 2400mAh and 3600mAh ones read they are made from Sony (although not sure how reliable that is because there's only stock images), but the 1200mAh is definitely OEM one. They are all for PSP 2000/3000, so curious if anyone has heard about Sony having those larger ones or if they aren't reliable... As for the 1800mAh one, it says it's Cameron Sino CS-SP112XL enhanced battery, but it's the first time I hear of that brand, so also want some more info on the reliability of it.

I'd just go for the normal 1200mAh one, but if the 2400mAh and 3600mAh ones are actually reliable getting almost double or triple the capacity would be amazing for long sessions, even if charge times will be much longer! Also 1200mAh one is more expensive too at 19€ compared to the other two which are at 15€ and 13.8€ respectively (price is main reason I'm doubting their reliability along with how they say they are battery packs instead of just OEM batteries)

MrCokeacola

The Xbox Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
OEM batteries are all going to be old and even if not used, sitting around is not good for a battery. Just go with the cheapest chinese battery you can find. They all work about the same.

ThoD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
OEM batteries are all going to be old and even if not used, sitting around is not good for a battery. Just go with the cheapest chinese battery you can find. They all work about the same.
All batteries at this point for the PSP have been sitting around anyways, part production stopped in 2014 after all... Chinese batteries SEEM to work good in general but they lose the maximum charge VERY fast, reason I never buy them since 2-3 months later you are back at the charge levels you used to have with the old battery. Also, Chinese stuff already get past customs hard enough without people being afraid of Corona, now that the country has locked down it's just gonna be an even bigger pain!

If I don't go for OEM, what about the others I've found and mentioned in my post? Double or triple capacity even if it starts deteriorating will still be really good after all...

MrCokeacola

The Xbox Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you need to play your PSP for hours your best bet would be to get a PSP USB cable and USB power bank. As you said yourself most PSP batteries are going to be duds.

If you want to mod your PSP there are tutorials out there to fit a phone battery in the UMD slot.

ThoD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
If you need to play your PSP for hours your best bet would be to get a PSP USB cable and USB power bank. As you said yourself most PSP batteries are going to be duds.

If you want to mod your PSP there are tutorials out there to fit a phone battery in the UMD slot.
I'm not looking for mod or anything complicated, just for a battery replacement. I'm fully aware of mods and power banks, but they either mess up the feel of the system or you have to carry a brick around for when you need charging, making it less portable! I hate power banks because of the added hassle of having to carry them around, so looking for literally the simplest and most compact solution, a new battery! As long as I can get a stable and reliable charge of at least 1100mAh (lasts around 9 hours for light stuff like old system emulators such as GBA or 7 hours for PSP games unless playing 333MHz games in which case it's still a good 5 hours) I'm all good.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgCjp3-rF_Y