Need new phone and mp3 player

Hedgehogofchaos

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm looking to get a new cell phone and an mp3 player.
my total budget is $350 canadian, and a smart phone would be fine as long as it has a good music player and a 3.5mm headphone jack.

I'll be using the phone mostly for texting and calling.
I would like candybar form factor phone. I don't really care if the phone is fancy I just need something to live on till my contract runs out (I'm with fido btw)

EDIT: wifi would be a nice bonus on the phone. as well an unlocked phone would be nice to have as my contract is almost up

Thanks
smile.gif

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Fido like me
biggrin.gif

How about the LG Xenon for your phone? $225 for No Contract... Or if it is too much, then just go for it on a 2 year plan.

Will you be using the MP3 Player just for music, or are you interested in using it for videos as well?

myuusmeow

Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
Hedgehogofchaos said:
I will not use it for video at all, typically I watch video on my netbook.
And can I get the LG xenon unlocked?
I have this phone, and I don't like it. It uses MicroUSB for headphones, but even if you can find a microUSB pair online it probably won't work with this phone.
It has terrible battery life, browser, and camera. The plastic feels cheap, and every time I open the sliding screen I'm afraid it'll fall off. The touchscreen is the only thing you can use to do most of the menus, which may be a good or bad thing for you.
The actual music player itself is ok, it plays through the speakerphone on the back so the sound quality without headphones is terrible though.
The Xenon is not a smartphone either, so no WiFi. (that would have made up for the weak 3G in my area)

A quick Google says you can get it unlocked.

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
WOAH. 300 only? It seems like an awesome price, but am not interested in getting it though.

Thanks for the info on the LG Xenon. Looks like I am not interested in that phone anymore...

fgghjjkll

GBATemp MegaMan
Trophies
XP
Try find a used HTC Universal. I'm still loving mine. It also supports 3G which is now a worldwide standard....except for japan who prolly have freaking OVER 9000G!!!!!

Slyfy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hedgehogofchaos said:
should I just buy any cheap old phone?

Depends.

Are you planning on just making calls with it?

Or are you planning to use it as a PDA too?

The iTouch can be used as a PDA. So a PDA phone might not be the best choice.

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not that I like shilling for Apple but if you need a phone and mp3 player that texts and stuff why not an iPhone? If you aren't a fan of them or their crappy overpriced AT&T contract there are equally good knockoffs.

And really if you think about it, next time it gets stolen the thief only has to steal one device and not too so you're making their job easier too!
biggrin.gif

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Looks like media is covered.
Honestly, I would say any phone will do.

I checked out Fido's store just now. Seems like they got a new QWERTY phone:
Samsung Gravity @ $150

Price is nice considering it has both the number pad and a QWERTY pad. It is $150 for prepaid or just the phone itself. My friend had it, and it had a nice UI and calling quality. The buttons don't feel like they will fall of either and they weren't stiff.

Dragoon709

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I use a Samsung Vice. It's candybar style has a 3.5mm headphone jack and a slide out QWERTY keyboard, also has a pretty good media player. I love the phone and it works great. Not sure of the retail cost but I got it for $35 under a contract with Bell. Not sure about the unlocking but if you find out after let me know if you could.

Here's a pic:
http://www.hitechreview.com/uploads/2009/0...obile-phone.jpg

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwcj_tIm44k