New DS confirmed

Tigerstar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Jax said:
Could the SD card also be used for game updates?
I could potentially see it being used for additional content - new levels and such. How about a music/rhythm game where you can download additional tracks to play? That would be nice.

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Any talk about firmware updates? I would assume that it will have some sort of ability to do so because of the DSiWare stuff, which would also be a deterrent to use of flash carts and firmware hacks.

Lelouch

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Lord Kanti said:
wow nearly 50 pages and a lot of posts similar to what i compare to chickens with they're heads cut off.

So nintendo releases a DS lite1.5, who cares!? well appearantly a lot of you do. I've had my original gameboy from day one and didnt upgrade till gameboy color, a huge step up, it was color! and then gba came out right after and i felt betrayed, i waited a decade only to be stabed in the back with new technology. well folks join the club, but let me let you in on a little secret, just because nintendo releases it doesnt mean you have to buy it! Youre not lemmings, youre not headless chickens, snap out of it! most of us here are either hackers or are able to use hacks and after market mods with our current DS's

with the DSL and a flash cart you should be able to be hold your horses till the next real portable console comes out, who knows maybe it will come with a back scratcher. Seriously, take a chill pill, the thing isnt even out and so many are lined up to buy one.

I'll admit a wii like menu with channels and wii sound effects sounds appealing, but for 200 bucks I could:

pay half my monthly bills:
feed a small village in africa:
buy a haitian child (it was on 20/20):
pimp my ride:
buy a new guitar:
add to the get a big screen tv fund:

seriously, it's buying habits like this that send a superpower into 700billion dollars debt.

maybe I sound like a nazi, or your dad, but hopefully some of this advice will help you in the long run.

Good things happen to those who wait, remember how i said i felt betrayed whenthe gba came out? well about a year ago i found a DSL at a restaurant that had gone unclaimed for sometime with a mario kart cart in it. it was lost i found it and no one cared enough to claim to be its rightful owner. call it kharma, call it cheap, either way the universe/God has been good to me.

I actually liked the gba more than the sp and grats on finding a DSL hah.

Torrunt

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
torrunt.tumblr.com
XP
Country
I don't really like the top of the DSi, kinda plan like.
dslicopyqu7.png

cutterjohn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jaywilson said:
i know everyone hates the n64 topic, but would it be any closer to being possible with the extra ram it has now?
No, not unless they put in a 400MHz ARM9 or so I'd hazard as even the PSP has some trouble with N64 emulation from what I've read.

There are just no hard technical specs ATM, so it's all just a guess, but I can't help but wonder from the battery run times at various backlight setting if maybe they didn't up the processor speed at least a little. It's either that or their new screens + backlight + extra junk take enough more power to drop the runtime, but you can't tell. We need some better data.

[EDIT]
I'm still inclined to believe that they didn't up the processor power in the DSi eventhough they must've have done quite a bit of re-design work as I'm guessing from the "faster" browser that the extra RAM must be on the same bus as the rest of the 4MB of RAM in the original DS, which at the very least would've meant more address line traces. The GBA port probably went away to make room for the SD slot. AFAIK I'm not even sure sure that they left in the ARM7, they could've implemented an emulator based on the ARM9, and expect you to play ROM images from internal sotrage AND/OR SD card. (I'm not at all certain from the marketroid data if they implemented internal storage like on the Wii as in Virtual arcade, etc. stuff only works from there but CAN be backed up onto SD to make room for other stuff... Just have to wait for better data...)
[/EDIT]

shakirmoledina

Legend
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
DSinstant phail seems like it lost it's flavour on the camera part... the L and R buttons seem to be stronger but the hinge is not changed and that's a terrible thing
Still even with these problems, it's still gonna sell well but maybe not as well as the DSL used to

Extreme Coder

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Egypt
I really REALLY hope Nintendo just doesn't use the Opera DS browser unmodified. It wasn't any good at all :/ Hopefully with the SD slot, they could add the ability to cache, download files, but that's wishful thinking
wink.gif

I'm most probably not going to buy this, since unlike most of you guys, I have to save up for everything I buy(and I'm 15
wink.gif
). And I'm not wasting my money I'm saving for a Wii, while I already have a great Ice Blue DS Lite.
What could have made me buy this is if Nintendo added Phone functionality to it. I would have buyed in an instant, since I also was saving up for a new phone
wink.gif
Oh well..

MG4M3R

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hmm...

The DSi remember me of the Game Boy Color.

Initially, the difference of GB for the GBC was just the colors, but with time many games began to be exclusive for him.

I believe that this will happen with the DSi, as it has more RAM, digital cameras, storage space and perhaps a greater processor. In a near future, several games will be for DSi only.

Noitora

::
Trophies
Website
www.noitora.eu.pn
XP
Country
Greece
MG4M3R said:
Hmm...

Initially, the difference of GB for the GBC was just the colors, but with time many games began to be exclusive for him.

I believe that this will happen with the DSi, as it has more RAM, digital cameras, storage space and perhaps a greater processor. In a near future, several games will be for DSi only.
I think that the ram and the processor are totally the same.

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Noitora said:
MG4M3R said:
Hmm...

RAM must have been increased because it has implemented Internet browser....But from what I know, processor is just the same..

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
Noitora said:
MG4M3R said:
Hmm...

The DSi has more ram. That's how it runs the inbuilt web browser I'd imagine. They also said the browser was faster, so maybe even more ram than the expansion pak? The processor would remain the same though I'd imagine.

But more ram doesn't necessarily mean games that will support it. The PSP Slim and Lite has double the ram the phat PSP has, but they both support the same games.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Ferrariman said:
Veho said:
Any chance the touch screen is multi-touch now?
no
Just asking. A multi-touch screen could replace the Guitar Hero grip accessory (to a point). The game would be fooled into thinking the grip is there, but you'd be playing on the screen. Maybe.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    cearp @ cearp: and Psi - I had a cd player / radio that played mp3 cds once, very cool