New Labo video turns the Switch into a guitar

New video shows how players can transform their Nintendo Switch into a rubber band guitar:[prebreak]1[/prebreak]

In the latest Nintendo Labo video, Nintendo provides an in-depth look at Toy-Con Garage mode and demonstrates how players can transform their Nintendo Switch into a rubber band guitar.

Nintendo Labo is a new line of interactive make, play and discover experiences designed to inspire creative minds and playful hearts alike. Together with the Nintendo Switch console, the Nintendo Labo kits provide the tools and technology to make fun DIY creations, play games with your creations, and discover how Nintendo Switch technology shapes ideas into reality.

Nintendo Labo launches in Europe on 27th April with two kits: the Variety Kit and the Robot Kit. Both kits include everything you need to bring your Toy-Con to life, including the building materials and relevant Nintendo Switch software.

:arrow:Nintendo Labo Official Site

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just seems like since it's cardboard, the more you mess with it, the flimsier it will get. Wouldn't you be reusing parts a lot/have to get new parts?
If you use cardboard, yes. But it's also cardboard. Assuming you buy a pizza every once in a while or shop online occasionally it costs you virtually nothing

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cant I just put rubber bans on a cheap android tablet, run one of the hundreds of guitar apps and get the same thing without having to buy $70 of cardboard?

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cant I just put rubber bans on a cheap android tablet, run one of the hundreds of guitar apps and get the same thing without having to buy $70 of cardboard?
If your only goal is to make a guitar, then yeah. Except for the fact that all those guitar apps act as the fret board rather than where you'd actually strum a guitar

Reactions: x65943

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This doesn't come with the kit. It's an example of what's possible to do just with creativity and messing around with the inputs
oh ok
i want to see if i can build a working 5 foot R.O.B replica with it
guess they would need to come with a motor kit for it 1st though
but i can see it happening

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oh ok
i want to see if i can build a working 5 foot R.O.B replica with it
guess they would need to come with a motor kit for it 1st though
but i can see it happening
You could definitely make a R.O.B. out of two of the Joycon, if all you wanted him to do was "roll" around. Getting arm movement would be a touch trickier, though

g00s3y

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not really a guitar. You can play 5 or so different tones by pressing the touchscreen, but that's by far not what a guitar can do. You can't change the length of a note, you can't modify the frequency of a single button without changing the other ones etc.

And the rubber band is only cosmetic, it doesn't have any functional purpose.

HOLD UP... IT'S NOT REAL?

Are you telling me also that I'm not actually Link, saving a world from a magic bad guy?

And when I play gta, I'm not actually doing coke and killing hookers?

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
HOLD UP... IT'S NOT REAL?

Are you telling me also that I'm not actually Link, saving a world from a magic bad guy?

And when I play gta, I'm not actually doing coke and killing hookers?
The labo guitar is a shitty, very limited baby toy. It's like one of these toys where you press one button, it plays one sound (e.g. animal sound) and another button to play another sound (e.g. car noises).
You get complex games if you buy a zelda or a gta. It's ridiculous that they made such a long video about such a basic feature.

Reactions: Eddypikachu

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
The labo guitar is a shitty, very limited baby toy. It's like one of these toys where you press one button, it plays one sound (e.g. animal sound) and another button to play another sound (e.g. car noises).

But this is a baby toy that the kids design, code and build themselves and that's the point of it. The guitar is not the end goal of the JoyCon Garage app, it's a very basic and simple example of how the app can be used to combine inputs with logic operations and function blocks to generate outputs. The video then shows how you can combine two or more inputs to achieve more than just the "if key then sound" relation, by introducing case functions and so on. Kids will then take this knowledge into other projects of their own. That's how examples work.

It's like LEGO. Look at this giraffe. It's basic, it's ugly, it doesn't move, you can get a much better looking giraffe toy for that money, but that's really not the point of the set. The point of LEGO is to learn the basics by following the instructions and building the set, and then take it apart and move on to things like:

https://imgur.com/gallery/aWE4J
https://www.flickr.com/photos/29844928@N07/4368522936/in/photostream/
http://mikedoylesnap.blogspot.hr/
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ZKTCEILAkKE/UVckbCVBC9I/AAAAAAAAC8Q/DGgoxMAL8Xo/s1600/ODAN.jpg
This
This
This
Or this
https://inhabitat.com/stunning-lego-rivendell-replica-is-built-with-over-200000-bricks/
http://www.moc-pages.com/moc.php/371389
https://www.flickr.com/photos/45244184@N04/23858568380/in/contacts/
https://laughingsquid.com/incredible-lego-batcave-built-out-of-over-20000-pieces/
http://www.hexapolis.com/2015/01/20...setting-hogwarts-entirely-400000-lego-bricks/

You get the picture.

(The fact that most kids won't get past the basic stages is beside the point.)

The only problem I can see is the limit on the number of blocks and connections you can have in one project. A low limit would really cripple the whole thing.

It's ridiculous that they made such a long video about such a basic feature.
That's because it's not advertising the "guitar", it's showing/teaching the basics of the app.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Some thoughts.

Nintendo Labo is just one of the dozens (and more) building/programming educational toys on the market. There's been a resurgence lately as the electronics get cheaper, and there's a whole slew of similar toys because all you need is a few switches, motors, light sensor, a smartphone and a bunch of wires and you have the next big thing in "coding / robotics / STEM / educational" toys and your product on all gadget sites and tech blags. So Nintendo has competition.

The thing working in its favor is that this is Nintendo, so everything they do is talked about at least.
The thing working against it is that this is Nintendo, who have a long history of taking potential and squashing it.

But regardless of whether it succeeds or not, this is a neat toy for kids.

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Nintendo Labo is just one of the dozens (and more) building/programming educational toys on the market. There's been a resurgence lately as the electronics get cheaper, and there's a whole slew of similar toys because all you need is a few switches, motors, light sensor, a smartphone and a bunch of wires and you have the next big thing in "coding / robotics / STEM / educational" toys and your product on all gadget sites and tech blags. So Nintendo has competition.
I have the impression that the options in the garage are very, very limited. No way for input, no way for custom images/sounds, only very basic connections, ugly design etc. Kids probably won't learn much about programming etc. There are way better ways to introduce them to that. Smile basic was way better than the toy con garage (and much cheaper).
Lego has a very large selection of pieces avaible and no size limits (except for the budget). The toy con garage is very limited from what we've seen so far. And people in this thread have overhyped this "guitar".

SkylarTheNerd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you use cardboard, yes. But it's also cardboard. Assuming you buy a pizza every once in a while or shop online occasionally it costs you virtually nothing

Well there aren't any pizza shops near me that delivers in robot shaped boxes...
If I can use a pizza box to make a something for the Switch, why would I buy a kit???

Last edited by SkylarTheNerd,

x65943

pronouns big/pingus
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well there aren't any pizza shops near me that delivers in robot shaped boxes...
If I can use a pizza box to make a something for the Switch, why would I buy a kit???
The kit comes with the game and cardboard - but ninty has said they will provide guides to replace damaged cardboard with cardboard you have lying about.

So TI's point is that you could use a pizza box or the like if you have to replace a part.

SkylarTheNerd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The kit comes with the game and cardboard - but ninty has said they will provide guides to replace damaged cardboard with cardboard you have lying about.

So TI's point is that you could use a pizza box or the like if you have to replace a part.

I see. TI also said earlier that the guitar isn't part of the kit. Does that mean you'll be able to use your own creations with Labo?

x65943

pronouns big/pingus
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see. TI also said earlier that the guitar isn't part of the kit. Does that mean you'll be able to use your own creations with Labo?
Yes! There is a "garage" mode where you can program your own toys. Pretty nifty.

g00s3y

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Older children in this thread upset about an accessory coming out that is for younger children...

Anything else we want to whine about today?

My 4 year old will love these things.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

x65943

pronouns big/pingus
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There should be a place where people can share their creations online.
I hope so - sort of like they had with Mariomaker. I bet people will come up with all sorts of cool things.

If they have this feature I might just have to pick the game up myself!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    imagine not having hands, cringe
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    ESPECIALLY for things I do to myself :sad:.. :tpi::rofl2: Or others :shy::blush::evil:
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @SylverReZ if you could find a v5 DS ML you would have the best of both worlds since the v5 units had the same backlight brightness levels as the DS Lite unlockable with flashme
    but that's a long shot
    i think only the red mario kart edition phat was v5
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    A woman with no arms and no legs was sitting on a beach. A man comes along and the woman says, "I've never been hugged before." So the man feels bad and hugs her. She says "Well i've also never been kissed before." So he gives her a kiss on the cheek. She says "Well I've also never been fucked before." So the man picks her up, and throws her in the ocean and says "Now you're fucked."
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    lmao
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    anyways, we need to re-normalize physical media

if i didn't want my games to be permanent, then i'd rent them
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Agreed, that why I try to buy all my games on disc, Xbox anyways. Switch games (which I pirate tbh) don't matter much, I stay offline 24/7 anyways.
    I don't pirate them, I Use Them :mellow:. Like I do @BigOnYa 's couch :tpi::evil::rofl2:
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    @BakerMan - you can still "own" digital media, arguably easier and better than physical since you can make copies and backups, as much as you like.

The issue is DRM
  • cearp @ cearp:
    You can buy drm free games / music / ebooks, and if you keep backups of your data (like documents and family photos etc), then you shouldn't lose the game. but with a disk, your toddler could put it in the toaster and there goes your $60

:rofl2:
  • cearp @ cearp:
    still, I agree physical media is nice to have. just pointing out the issue is drm
  • rqkaiju2 @ rqkaiju2:
    i like physical media because it actually feels like you own it. thats why i plan on burning music to cds
  • cearp @ cearp:
    It's nice to not have to have a lot of physical things though, saves space
    +1
    Nor clothes 🤮 . Saves on time, soap, water and money having to wash them. :D
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @rqkaiju2, Physical media is a great source for archiving your data, none of that cloud storage shiz.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @rqkaiju2, Physical media is a great source for archiving your data, none of that cloud storage...