Hacking Question New switch + CFW + Ban chance

suzsuzuki

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hello everyone!

I just bought a switch and I'm very happy! But I have no games (and no money) and want to test some homebrew. I got banned on 3DS just because of CFW (no online gaming )

My question is: is it safe to use use CFW on my switch? I never connected to Internet and don't want to do that till Atmosphere .

Can nintendo detect the grounded pin when using a peperclip?

Thanks

Reactions: NoNAND

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
To be honest, we're not sure what all they can detect, but so far we know how they can see if we're playing (or updating) pirated games while online, and ban us. So don't use CFW online at all. First and foremost, make a FULL NAND backup on a exFAT-formatted 64GB SD card (Or larger) and keep it safe on your PC somewhere, possibly two places.

Oh, and make sure you have a fully-charged battery at 100% charge before starting the NAND backup, you don't want the Switch to die during the backup process, as the Switch doesn't charge in RCM mode.

Reactions: suzsuzuki

suzsuzuki

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
To be honest, we're not sure what all they can detect, but so far we know how they can see if we're playing (or updating) pirated games while online, and ban us. So don't use CFW online at all. First and foremost, make a FULL NAND backup on a exFAT-formatted 64GB SD card (Or larger) and keep it safe on your PC somewhere, possibly two places.

Oh, and make sure you have a fully-charged battery at 100% charge before starting the NAND backup, you don't want the Switch to die during the backup process, as the Switch doesn't charge in RCM mode.

OK thanks. But do I need to update before? Because I'm on 4.1 FW and it asking for an update to use exfat cards. Maybe if I try with FAT32 cards...

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Personally, I've updated, but there's a thread floating around these forums where you can inject the exFAT driver into older firmwares, I just don't know where the thread is. Hopefully someone can link to it here?

raphamotta

Trophies
XP
Country
No one knows the cause of bans yet, but I doubt that Nintendo can detect you you ground the pin. Of course using CFW has always a chance of ban... but don't worry about that, have fun with your switch wherever you want to do :)

Paulsar99

Trophies
XP
Country
Togo
Yep nobody can really give you a precise answer since nintendo's banning has been pretty inconsistent, there were people who got banned immediately just by going online while others has been careless with their cfw use and still not banned up to this day. Use at your own risk.

wolf_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm surprised no one asked if he verified he didnt get a patched unit seeing how he just bought it

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There is a greater chance of being banned on Switch than there was on 3DS so if you just accept that then you can enjoy it more without constantly worrying about it.

RealLatias

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Personally, I've updated, but there's a thread floating around these forums where you can inject the exFAT driver into older firmwares, I just don't know where the thread is. Hopefully someone can link to it here?

Here it is: https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-...tch-console-on-any-ofw-without-update.505182/

If you are banned, can you still download update or DLCs?

Yes, you can do everything except accessing the eShop from the switch itself (you can still buy games on computer and they’ll automatically download to the switch). You can update the console, update games, and download things.

Last edited by RealLatias,

Drakia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
OK thanks. But do I need to update before? Because I'm on 4.1 FW and it asking for an update to use exfat cards. Maybe if I try with FAT32 cards...
Just a heads up, you do NOT need to upgrade or go through the manual exfat process to use an exfat card in Hekate to do a backup. Hekate has it's own exfat driver that if separate from the core OS.

Essentially once you have a cable: format your card as exfat, load Hekate, and do a backup.

This clean backup is your safety point, keep it in at least two places (desktop and cloud storage, for example).

LanceToTheN

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, you can do everything except accessing the eShop from the switch itself (you can still buy games on computer and they’ll automatically download to the switch). You can update the console, update games, and download things.

Wait, is this true? Even if I'm banned I can still buy games, buy DLC, download them, and update them? Cuz I don't care about online play, I just want to be able to use cheats for my single player games (and buy DLC to support games I care about)

Ashura66

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Wait, is this true? Even if I'm banned I can still buy games, buy DLC, download them, and update them? Cuz I don't care about online play, I just want to be able to use cheats for my single player games (and buy DLC to support games I care about)

Depends on the TYPE of ban. If you are just banned from the online gaming server then yes, you retain e-shop access and can still buy digital games, dlcs and get updates. However if you get a CDN/Cert Ban(AKA A superban) then you loose access to ALL online services which includes e-shop access and even firmware updates

Reactions: LanceToTheN

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No real point since movies are 30fps
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Not a big movie buff, more of a gamer tbh. And Series X is 120hz 8k ready, but yea only 120hz 4k games out right now, but thinking of in the future.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mostly why you never see TV manufacturers going post 60hz
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I only watch tv when i goto bed, it puts me to sleep, and I have a nas drive filled w my fav shows so i can watch them in order, commercial free. I usually watch Married w Children, or South Park
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Stremio ruined my need for nas
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I stream from Nas to firestick, one on every tv, and use Kodi. I'm happy w it, plays everything. (I pirate/torrent shows/movies on pc, and put on nas)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Kodi repost are still pretty popular
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What the hell is Kodi reposts? what do you mean, or "Wut?" -xdqwerty
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Google them basically web crawlers to movie sites
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    oh you mean the 3rd party apps on Kodi, yea i know what you mean, yea there are still a few cool ones, in fact watched the new planet of the apes movie other night w wifey thru one, was good pic surprisingly, not a cam
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, only $2.06 and free shipping. Gotta cost more for them to ship than $2.06
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I got my Dad a firestick for Xmas and showed him those 3rd party sites on Kodi, he loves it, all he watches anymore. He said he has got 3 letters from AT&T already about pirating, but he says f them, let them shut my internet off (He wants out of his AT&T contract anyways)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's where stremio comes to play never got a letter about it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just use a VPN, even give him my login and password so can use it also, and he refuses, he's funny.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I had to find and get him an old style flip phone even without text, cause thats what he wanted. No text, no internet, only phone calls. Old, old school.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    @BigOnYa, Lol I bought a new USB card reader thing on AliExpress last month for I think like 87 cents. Free shipping from China... It arrived it works and honestly I don't understand how it was so cheap.
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fellas
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    would you rather have a 9-5 desk job with poor pay or work for an intergalactic space militia with no guarantee of being paid?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    basically, normal boring job or halo and/or helldivers irl
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Lol. Have you heard about this?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I wish the people who make these emulators know the basic primer course on copyright and trademarks.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: I wish the people who make these emulators know the basic primer course on copyright and trademarks.