Nintendo expects the Switch to continue strong for the next few years, has "strong lineup" of upcoming games

dsdadsdsa.png

Doug Bowser, CEO of Nintendo of America, discussed the Nintendo Switch and plans for the future, in an interview with the Associated Press. Even though the Nintendo Switch is seven years old now, Bowser is confident that the console will continue to perform well, with Nintendo "feeling bullish" about sales. According to him, there's also a "very very strong lineup" of games coming soon, teasing that Nintendo will plan on supporting the Switch for years to come. Beyond that, when asked about whether or not Nintendo has a "Switch Pro" in the works, he simply responded with, "One of the things we look at always is how can we surprise and delight. How can we introduce new unique ways of playing. That´s always in front of our mind."

I should be careful about what I personally would like to see (in a new Switch). But what I can share is that one of the reasons that even going into year seven we feel very confident that the Switch can have a strong performance over the next few years is that it is still truly that unique device that you can play in a variety of ways, at home, on the go. One of the things we look at always is how can we surprise and delight. How can we introduce new unique ways of playing. That’s always in front of our mind.

:arrow: Source

Last edited by Costello,

MetoMeto

Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
enjoy the drift!
https://www.gulikit.com/productinfo/945307.html
Post automatically merged:

The Switch is an underpowered pile of junk.
It's not a pile of junk and its not under-powered if games are well optimized and/or developed for it.
Switch has more than enough power to render great games. Also, Nintendo was never about the hardware but games.
Switch is a whole different beast with whole different idea other than PoWeR.
So there's that....

You really don't even when New Switch comes out. Like you can keep your original DS after generations of "New" DS came

Nintendo has been very loyal to their customers, you can normally use old hardware for a very long time
I couldn't play Prime 3 on the Gamecube though, where other two games reside.
Had to buy a new system just to continue the trilogy. That was 300 euro for me in order to play a new game in the series.

Last edited by MetoMeto,

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
do you actually believe they can develop and hold off major releases like that for years ?
Why couldn't they ???
MK8D released in 2017, they started making DLCs (and not very great ones, it's mostly ports from MKTour, they aren't working as hard as they did on the original DLCs for MK8 on Wii U) on march 2022 when people started talking about what could be next for Mario Kart. They kept printing money with this game during that time. So yes, they absolutely could take all the time they want to develop the game, and hold it, just like they held on Metroid Prime Remastered for so long.
They'll wait for MK8D to slow down in profits (when all waves will be released and people will grow tired of the game, just like anything), they'll release their new console and you can be pretty sure that when Mario Kart All Stars with Kirby Star Fox and other guests will be announced as a launch title with the New Nintendo Switch, it'll be a massive success (that's how I like to call MK9)

Nintendo has been very loyal to their customers, you can normally use old hardware for a very long time
Hahaha

Yeah Iwata isn't there anymore, sadly. It's really not far-fetched to think that when they'll make a « New Nintendo Switch » à la New 3DS, they could do a shit ton of exclusives.

They also couldn't, too. But what about DLSS ? If they implement such a thing, new games would not be playable on older hardware. New 3DS really was just a bit newer CPU, a second « stick » and tracking camera for the 3D effect that nobody uses anyway, and that's it. It's not really relevant to use it as a comparison imo

Also, we've been using Switch hardware for a long time now I think. I do think there'll be people who will whine about having to buy new hardware and people who will think this is fine because the Switch was growing too old anyway.
It already wasn't very new in 2017 when it released and it's portable, hence you could think it's growing older « faster » than other consoles. But it's old now, it's still working pretty fine but you gotta prepare to move on soon enough.

Last edited by LightBeam,

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It already wasn't very new in 2017 when it released and it's portable, hence you could think it's growing older « faster » than other consoles. But it's old now, it's still working pretty fine but you gotta prepare to move on soon enough.
The tortoise was slow in 2017 and is still slow in 2023 and still finish the race like it was 2017 ahead of the hare

Don't think the tortoise age much though. The 2017 hare was long dead and now the new hare (great great ... son of the 2017 one) still sleeps on the race.

Why people like to point out that the tortoise was slow in 2017 is strange to me, the tortoise being slow really ? New tortoise will be the fastest yet so will it ever be faster than the hare ?

Last edited by TomSwitch,

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
The tortoise was slow in 2017 and is still slow in 2023 and still finish the race like it was 2017 ahead of the hare

Don't think the tortoise age much though. The 2017 hare was long dead and now the new hare (great great ... son of the 2017 one) still sleeps on the race.

Why people like to point out that the tortoise was slow in 2017 is strange to me, the tortoise being slow really ? New tortoise will be the fastest yet so will it ever be faster than the hare ?
I don't get why you're trying to talk about tortoises and hares.
There's no hare or tortoise here. We're talking about a single object, not a run. We couldn't say it was slow in 2017 since it just released with BoTW and Odyssey in the same year. Saying that back then it was as « slow » as it is now isn't accurate

Ligeia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Why couldn't they ???
MK8D released in 2017, they started making DLCs (and not very great ones, it's mostly ports from MKTour, they aren't working as hard as they did on the original DLCs for MK8 on Wii U) on march 2022 when people started talking about what could be next for Mario Kart. They kept printing money with this game during that time. So yes, they absolutely could take all the time they want to develop the game, and hold it, just like they held on Metroid Prime Remastered for so long.
They'll wait for MK8D to slow down in profits (when all waves will be released and people will grow tired of the game, just like anything), they'll release their new console and you can be pretty sure that when Mario Kart All Stars with Kirby Star Fox and other guests will be announced as a launch title with the New Nintendo Switch, it'll be a massive success (that's how I like to call MK9)
Correction : Mario Kart 8 was released in 2014. Why do people always try to pretend MK8D is an original Switch game ?

Are you seriously putting an upscaled port on the same level of a brand new game ? Why do you think most of Nintendo's recent releases are HD ports of old games ? Because they are way cheaper and shorter to produce. Nintendo can barely keep it together and support their console. Their last true (and only Switch original) AAA title was Super Mario Odyssey, released on... 2017. They have no resources to waste on producing original games and not releasing them. Especially not such an important game. If they did this new round of DLC on MK8, it's because they can't or won't do a proper follow up game (people always forget Mario Kart Home Circuit exists), and just decided it would be cheaper and more profitable. Basically why bother creating a new "mainline" Switch-original Mario Kart when you have such a large customer base for Mario Kart 8 who can massively buy cheaply produced DLC ?

And those rumours about Switch Pro / Switch 2 etc, are laughable. These rumours have been circulating for years now, and nothing happened. And even if Nintendo released a new console, then what ? A new Mario game, then an endless string of Switch/Wii U/Wii/GC re-re-releases ? What's the point ? It's all on Switch already.

Last edited by Ligeia,

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Correction : Mario Kart 8 was released in 2014. Why do people always try to pretend MK8D is an original Switch game ?

Are you seriously putting an upscaled port on the same level of a brand new game ? Why do you think most of Nintendo's recent releases are HD ports of old games ? Because they are way cheaper and shorter to produce. Nintendo can barely keep it together and support their console. Their last true (and only Switch original) AAA title was Super Mario Odyssey, released on... 2017. They have no resources to waste on producing original games and not releasing them. Especially not such an important game. If they did this new round of DLC on MK8, it's because they can't or won't do a proper follow up game (people always forget Mario Kart Home Circuit exists), and just decided it would be cheaper and more profitable. Basically why bother creating a new "mainline" Switch-original Mario Kart when you have such a large customer base for Mario Kart 8 who can massively buy cheaply produced DLC ?

And those rumours about Switch Pro / Switch 2 etc, are laughable. These rumours have been circulating for years now, and nothing happened. And even if Nintendo released a new console, then what ? A new Mario game, then an endless string of Switch/Wii U/Wii/GC re-re-releases ? What's the point ? It's all on Switch already.
The original code written in ARM was perfect, so good that they are still using them and dare not switch to ARM64 for fear of breaking the perfect game play.

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
You're putting words in my mouth.
It's a release. Nintendo definitely treats the game as a release, otherwise they would have released a new game by now, since we had a Mario Kart game per console since the SNES. But no, we still have a MK8D, no MK9 to be seen. So yes, Nintendo is treating it like it's an original game even tho it's not.

So basically, you are saying they are producing cheaply made DLCs for a port (that, we can agree on) because they can't produce another big title. There's literally no correlation between those 2 arguments. There's no reason for Nintendo not to be able to develop a new title or even to hold onto it if it's completed.
You're talking about Mario Kart Home Circuit as if it's supposed to be a new title or something. It's not even developed by Nintendo EPD (https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Velan_Studios), it doesn't have much influence on the development schedule of Nintendo games. Even if it had, treating Home Circuit as a mainline game but somehow not MK8D is laughable, as even if it's a port, Nintendo has shown where their priorities are, and it's clearly not towards prototypes of augmented reality games.

They have no resources to waste on producing original games and not releasing them. Especially not such an important game.
And I'm saying they can. So let's leave it at that I guess ? They were still printing money with MK8D, they started doing DLCs to maximize those profits, they know MK9 can wait. If it's not completed already, then it's in development for sure and again, it's not far-fetched to think it could be a launch title for a future platform.

These rumours have been circulating for years now, and nothing happened. And even if Nintendo released a new console, then what ? A new Mario game, then an endless string of Switch/Wii U/Wii/GC re-re-releases ? What's the point ? It's all on Switch already.
It's literally not the same rumors tho. Switch Pro and « New Nintendo Switch » isn't the same really, but that's to be considered, they are rumors and they evolve with time especially when nothing happens.
But hey, there were rumors for a new console, and they released the OLED. Now sure, it wasn't the « Super Switch » some people were calling for, but it was a new revision of the console. So « nothing happened » ? Eh, I mean, it's Nintendo so obv you have to tamper all your fantasies but I wouldn't say nothing happened.
Also, if a « new Nintendo Switch » à la New 3DS ever get released, you'll still be able to play Switch games, so don't worry to much about ports, I guess. Maybe « New » updates to profit from the hardware, I guess.
I'm talking about the recent rumors btw. To me it seems very different from the Switch 2 or Switch Pro people were calling for a few months/years back when they were talking about DLSS and 4K and stuff like that. Really we don't know shit from it, we just know that they probably have something and it makes sense for them to release a new revision.
Somehow they did a shit ton of 3DS consoles, yet when people say they probably will do the same for Switch (and already released Mariko, Lite and OLED)then it's baseless to think they could do another one.

And finally « A new Mario game, then an endless string of re-re-releases » who even talked about that.

Last edited by LightBeam,

Ligeia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
And I'm saying they can. So let's leave it at that I guess ? They were still printing money with MK8D, they started doing DLCs to maximize those profits, they know MK9 can wait. If it's not completed already, then it's in development for sure and again, it's not far-fetched to think it could be a launch title for a future platform.

There's a huge difference between "in development" and "completed but on hold for a few years".

And finally « A new Mario game, then an endless string of re-re-releases » who even talked about that.

Well just look at what Nintendo has done these past 10-15 years with a rational, non fan-biased perspective and it's quite easy to predict I believe.

But time will tell anyway, we'll see.

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
There's a huge difference between "in development" and "completed but on hold for a few years".
I meant « development » as just not released. There aren't any information to say if it's in development, planned to be developed, or finished but held on, and it's not like it matters anyway, what matters is that it probably exists in some shape or form and it's still not released but probably will be in the future.

Well just look at what Nintendo has done these past 10-15 years with a rational, non fan-biased perspective and it's quite easy to predict I believe.
It's about predicting if it's going to happen or not, it's about the importance of it. If that's what mattered then we would wish Nintendo to stop releasing consoles and that's it. Yes they've been releasing tons of ports and stuff, but also releasing good new games. So it really isn't important.
Especially considering the Switch came out after the Wii U which was a flop, so tons of people were able to play games that sure, were ports, but were new to them (me included), and again, if it's a « new Switch » thing, then you won't see many ports of Switch games if they are already compatible, but maybe we'll see other games that may run on a newer hardware but couldn't on the older. Tons of people wish for a newer revision, me included. I can understand why some don't, in the end it's up to Nintendo anyway.

urbanman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Switch hardware is so antiquated and outdated which is why I prefer emulating Switch titles on PC; you get better visuals and 3D textures at a higher resolution w/ a consistent frame rate (depending on the specs of your PC).

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Switch needs a refresh, badly. The Tegra X1 was already about 2 years old when the Switch came out, and now it's a dinosaur.
I mean Nintendo's first party titles run perfectly fine on the current system. 2nd party for the most part is great too. It's just the 3rd party devs that are bad with it.

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean Nintendo's first party titles run perfectly fine on the current system. 2nd party for the most part is great too. It's just the 3rd party devs that are bad with it.
Some of them are just lazy, very sad that simple game also have frame rate issue and very long load time. Nintendo should have some kind of quality gate to protect users, maybe a return policy like steam.

When people buy your new product that was based on old tech you know there is not much need to update the tech. When I buy a table I don't ask which year's model. If it is a good table designed 7 years ago do I care?

Last edited by TomSwitch,

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
LMAO…Breath of the Wild did not run fine… I can only assume TotK will be the same. Their Mario titles ran great, but I’d assume it’s because they don’t really do much rendering… Anything even remotely ambitious is held WAAAAAY back by the hardware. It becomes more and more obvious every year.

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LMAO…Breath of the Wild did not run fine… I can only assume TotK will be the same. Their Mario titles ran great, but I’d assume it’s because they don’t really do much rendering… Anything even remotely ambitious is held WAAAAAY back by the hardware. It becomes more and more obvious every year.
The only place I ever remember seeing frame drops in BOTW was in Korok forest.

Some of them are just lazy, very sad that simple game also have frame rate issue and very long load time. Nintendo should have some kind of quality gate to protect users, maybe a return policy like steam.

When people buy your new product that was based on old tech you know there is not much need to update the tech. When I buy a table I don't ask which year's model. If it is a good table designed 10 years ago do I care?
See to me the power of a system is literally meaningless. Just make good content and I don't care how it looks.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
The only place I ever remember seeing frame drops in BOTW was in Korok forest.

See to me the power of a system is literally meaningless. Just make good content and I don't care how it looks.
Obvious frame drops, yes. I can assure you there were plenty more in other areas.

I’m of the same mindset that I prefer quality content over quality graphics. However, that doesn’t change the fact that the Switch is two generations behind in terms of power at BEST. It heading into year 7 will prove difficult, and I’d bet even Nintendo will run into issues.

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Obvious frame drops, yes. I can assure you there were plenty more in other areas.

I’m of the same mindset that I prefer quality content over quality graphics. However, that doesn’t change the fact that the Switch is two generations behind in terms of power at BEST. It heading into year 7 will prove difficult, and I’d bet even Nintendo will run into issues.
Eh, I just don't really care about future generations much I suppose. When Nintendo does eventually release new hardware I will buy it. But I'm in no rush.

Reactions: TomSwitch

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/vKQN3UiNNHY?si=fP6ZlFe-DhQf9SW7