Nintendo expects the Switch to continue strong for the next few years, has "strong lineup" of upcoming games

dsdadsdsa.png

Doug Bowser, CEO of Nintendo of America, discussed the Nintendo Switch and plans for the future, in an interview with the Associated Press. Even though the Nintendo Switch is seven years old now, Bowser is confident that the console will continue to perform well, with Nintendo "feeling bullish" about sales. According to him, there's also a "very very strong lineup" of games coming soon, teasing that Nintendo will plan on supporting the Switch for years to come. Beyond that, when asked about whether or not Nintendo has a "Switch Pro" in the works, he simply responded with, "One of the things we look at always is how can we surprise and delight. How can we introduce new unique ways of playing. That´s always in front of our mind."

I should be careful about what I personally would like to see (in a new Switch). But what I can share is that one of the reasons that even going into year seven we feel very confident that the Switch can have a strong performance over the next few years is that it is still truly that unique device that you can play in a variety of ways, at home, on the go. One of the things we look at always is how can we surprise and delight. How can we introduce new unique ways of playing. That’s always in front of our mind.

:arrow: Source

Last edited by Costello,

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Ideas is a dime a dozen. How many ready to execute plans should Switch start to die and if any of them be good enough is the question. If they have no plan then that is a gross negligence that no management can survive. You can probably sue if you are a share holder.
I am sorry if you thought my comment was serious, it was more of just taking a jab at Nintendo than an actual observation or anything.

ScaryHobbit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Switch is essentially Wii U in its final form. Quite an upgrade.
Almost...
Add a feature that allows the Switch 2 to wirelessly stream footage directly to the dock... basically a reverse of the Wii U console streaming to the controller.

Then, it will be complete.
Hello, final Wii U ports.

Nincompoopdo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So ? Mario Kart DS or Mario Kart 7 are handheld games but still count. And Mario Kart Tour is still probably making much more $$ than Nintendo could hope for with an actual Mario Kart 9. Releasing MK8 DLC is just a cheap way for Nintendo to keep milking their best selling Wii U Switch game because they have no plans for a follow-up.

Games not on Nintendo hardware doesn't count. You know you are just trolling.

• Haha
Reactions: Ligeia

Dax_Fame

Annoying Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hot Take: They're dead wrong.

Signed, a huge hopeless Nintendo nerd.

I love the Switch and will continue to love it long after it's obsolescence but to pretend it can continue strong much longer is unrealistic.

Reactions: Xzi

xpoverzion

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
I’m not against the Switch name living on, but we’re hitting the point where a hardware refresh will be necessary sooner than later.
A hardware refresh was necessary the day after the Switch was released in 2017. The Switch is an underpowered pile of junk. What would they do with a hardware refresh today? Release a new Switch that can barely muster the processing power of a phone today?? Nintendo needs to just get out of the hardware business entirely and focus on making cutting edge, next gen versions of Mario, Zelda, Yoshi, Splatoon, etc that can be played on PC, PS5, Xbox, etc. Otherwise it sucks that games like Zelda are held back with awful graphics, and poor frame rates because of their hardware limitations. The Switch has been one of the most regrettable gaming purchases I have ever made. The performance of the device is atrocious, and there has hardly been any new games released for it over the past 6 years. Mostly just a bunch of rehashed crap that you can either play on a phone, or on the Wii U.

Last edited by xpoverzion,

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I don't care and I don't mind.
I have always loved handheld consoles way more than home consoles, nothing beats portable gaming for me and graphics are not something I care about that much.

I bought a Steam Deck for the same reason, I've been playing way more games on the deck, even if in lower graphic settings, than I do in my gaming laptop, it's just more enjoyable for me.

Personally, I am pretty hyped for the new Zelda and pre-ordered the LE. I'll still need to buy the Metroid Prime port eventually, although I prefer the 2D Metroids (same with Zelda).

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Prediction:
New 'next gen' console within the next couple of years, Switch will still be sold though as a cheaper console for parents to give to young kids and to sell some new titles which are in mid-production.

such

Trophies
XP
Country
Barbados
The day Nintendo wisens up and makes a Steam Deck competitor will be the day I gain interest in Nintendo back.
Considering what the Steam Deck is... you basically want Nintendo to make something akin to a pre-hacked device?

Yeah, maybe don't hold your breath for that one.

DuoForce

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, a lot of people are hyped for Tears of the Kingdom.
Are they? The hype is no where near botw levels of hype. To me the game looks like a glorified DLC with an unjustified price tag. I still haven’t even played the botw DLC, rather just play that than pay $70 for an expansion of a game I already paid for

Reactions: Bladexdsl

Maximumbeans

3DS is love, 3DS is life
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Are they? The hype is no where near botw levels of hype. To me the game looks like a glorified DLC with an unjustified price tag. I still haven’t even played the botw DLC, rather just play that than pay $70 for an expansion of a game I already paid for
No, maybe not comparable, but still a lot of people. I mean if the poll on this very site is anything to go by, it has the lion's share of people's anticipation.

I know GBA Temp isn't the whole internet but as a sample, it's relevant enough.

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so this means prime 4 will be on switch. good, i dont need to buy a new system.
You really don't even when New Switch comes out. Like you can keep your original DS after generations of "New" DS came

Nintendo has been very loyal to their customers, you can normally use old hardware for a very long time

Rioluwott

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
A hardware refresh was necessary the day after the Switch was released in 2017. The Switch is an underpowered pile of junk. What would they do with a hardware refresh today? Release a new Switch that can barely muster the processing power of a phone today?? Nintendo needs to just get out of the hardware business entirely and focus on making cutting edge, next gen versions of Mario, Zelda, Yoshi, Splatoon, etc that can be played on PC, PS5, Xbox, etc. Otherwise it sucks that games like Zelda are held back with awful graphics, and poor frame rates because of their hardware limitations. The Switch has been one of the most regrettable gaming purchases I have ever made. The performance of the device is atrocious, and there has hardly been any new games released for it over the past 6 years. Mostly just a bunch of rehashed crap that you can either play on a phone, or on the Wii U.
Saying that the switch its a pile of junk just because it has an outdated hardware seems like a big mistake on your part, its still selling a lot and companies that make videogames make money from the software they do not their hardware, if they had to make cutting edge graphics on their games it would rise the production time and price a lot, if they did that they would probably make the games more expensive or make the have have a lot of microtransactions + having to pay for the game like a lot of current big AAA games do nowdays on the switch and other consoles, that way they can sell you a game without microtransactions and still get enough money to make more, the switch its not competing on the same ground as the playstation or xbox are doing they have their own niche market, just look at the wii it sold a lot and it was the weakest console at the time and the gamecube sold less than the others even it had a powerful hardware at the time.
Making a new console would mean that their new software would sell less since the users would have to buy a new hardware again to be able to buy it from them and play it, they have a big userbase with the switch and the switch its powerful enough to run mario games that can look good enough for them, with a good artstyle the game can look good even on an outdated hardware and that's enough for them, if there are perfomance issues with their games it may be because some companies don't optimize their games enough, of course it won't run all the new next gen multiplat games but there is xbox or pc for that.
Signed Xbox Series/Switch owner(everybody owns a PC so there is no need to say that).

xpoverzion

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
The Switch hardware in 2017 was comparable to a phone back then. It has always been junk when compared to other gaming consoles/PC. All I know is that Nintendo is quickly becoming irrelavent. If not for their classics like Zelda and Super Mario, Nintendo would have gone out of business long ago. Millions of people bought the switch for 2 games. Breath of the Wild, and Mario Odyssey. That's pretty much it. Other than those two games, there's nothing new on the Switch worth owning it for. Sure there have been other big titles released on the Switch, but have you tried playing a game like Witcher 3, or Immortals Fenix Rising on the Switch? Most games, unless they are designed for phone hardware, run like garbage on the Switch, and that's even with the graphics dumbed way down. That was also the case back in 2017. I grew up with Nintendo, and have loved most everything hey have done for a long time, but the Switch is a complete failure in my experience. Sure, maybe if I only played simple 2D phone games on the go, the Switch would have some value for me. But, I mostly play AAA open world games, and the switch is worthless in that arena. I mean come on, the year is 2023. Most people want better performance, and higher fidelity graphics than what the Switch offers. That was also the case in 2017. Again, if not for Zelda and Mario, the Switch, and Nintendo wouldn't exist today.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: It's Mayday fellas