Nintendo has taken down the Link's Awakening fan remake

IMG_20231215_075251_847.jpg

Unsurprisingly, Nintendo of America has gone after the Link's Awakening DX HD fan project, less than a day after the fangame gained publicity online. Once hosted on Itch.io, The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX HD has been removed from the platform, following a DMCA takedown from Nintendo. The notice, shown below, cites copyright infringement for uploading a fully playable version of a Nintendo game. The Link's Awakening fangame was uploaded only after it was completed, though, meaning a backup likely still lurks somewhere on the internet.

To Whom It May Concern:

I am an authorized representative of Nintendo of America Inc., owner of the following copyrighted material:

PA0002212311 (The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening) and PA0000772666 (Legend of Zelda : Link's awakening (Game Boy version).

It has come to our attention that the following game, https://linksawakeningdxhd.itch.io/links-awakening-dx-hd, offered on Itch.io infringes and makes unauthorized use of Nintendo’s copyrights in The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening video game.

For additional information visit Nintendo’s website at the following URLs:

https://www.nintendo.com/us/store/products/game-boy-nintendo-switch-online-switc...

https://www.nintendo.com/us/store/products/the-legend-of-zelda-links-awakening-s...

Please act expeditiously to remove the download and information page for the infringing game.

I have a good faith belief that the material is not authorized by the intellectual property owner, its agent, or the law. The information provided in the notice is accurate, and I swear under penalty of perjury that I am authorized to make the complaint on behalf of the intellectual property owner.

Sincerely,

Nintendo Legal

Nintendo of America Inc.

:arrow: Source

BeniBel

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
nintendo in a nutshell: we hate you and all are fans but hey we'll take your money when we port all our OLD shit from previous devices and make the same mario game over and over again charging you FULL PRICE!!
we'll shut our online down and completely LOCK you out of ALL your purchases but that's OK you can sign up again on our new device and buy it ALL OVER AGAIN HA HA you dumb fucks fall for it every time we are laughing our way to bank every time!!

Get your facts straight, you can still re-download all your purchased Wii/Wii U/3DS games. The shops just closed, meaning you can't purchase new ones, but they haven't taken away anything you already owned.

When you bought them, you bought them for that specific console, just like any other game or platform.

rantex92

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So much ignorance and entitlement here. This wasn't just a fan game, this was just simple piracy. Piracy from a game Nintendo is still making money from to this day through their online subscription. Had they gone another, where you had to provide your own rom to extract assets, it would have been another story.

I also saw some posts about Sony deleting your paid content. Please get informed, they deleted the app because of legal reasons (contract with Discovery expired), you can still access all that content through apps for other devices or the Discovery webpage I believe.

Don't like Nintendo, or need a reason so you can justify pirating? Go ahead, but this isn't one of them.
fanboy alert!!!! c mon naive people like u are the reason y coorps can still get away with their greed it wasnt piracy they had their own source code and made their own assets

and btw i dont think ninty would use solaris engine

you said to the other user get ur facts straight but yourself are the one lacking the knowledge!

and just for your info the thing about sony it wasnt the content from discovery it was about people gotten banned for seemingly nothing and all their owned content where gone u mixed those up!

get YOUR facts straight mate

Reactions: Bladexdsl

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@Chary I have a serious question about that matter
Since this fan game/fan port was basicly copyrighted content, the fact that a previous front-paged news directly linked to the website where we could download it, could it cause any legal trouble to GBAtemp?
I mean, it is in the Temp terms of use, we do not share any copyrighted content. So, is sharing such stuff here (not just the news, but direct link to these projects too) really ok?

BeniBel

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
fanboy alert!!!! c mon naive people like u are the reason y coorps can still get away with their greed it wasnt piracy they had their own source code and made their own assets

you said to the other user get ur facts straight but yourself are the one lacking the knowledge!

and just for your info the thing about sony it wasnt the content from discovery it was about people gotten banned for seemingly nothing and all their owned content where gone u mixed those up!

Not a fanboy, I pirate all my switch stuff. I'm just not a hypocrite trying to justify it. I'm just cheap.

The engine it was made in, or the fact that they recreated the source and assets, doesn't matter. They recreated a pretty much 1:1 copy of the original, that Nintendo is still using. It wasn't a fan game, it was piracy. Added to that, Zelda is copyright protected, you're not allowed to create your own version. One could debate fair use for fan games, but this was the furthest from that.

In the beginning of this topic someone did mention the discovery content, and a lot of people have complained about it prior to here. I was pointing out that doesn't make any sense, and took it as an example where people complain about things they don't understand.

When you buy games through a digital mean, you agree to certain rules. One of them is, that when you get banned, you will lose access to your games. It's why I recommend everyone to buy a physical copy. But it's the same for consoles. Hack your console and you might get banned from online features. If the ban for some people are justified or not, is up for debate, as we only hear one side of the story online. Most companies allow you to appeal a ban if you feel it wasn't justified.

Pokepicker

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Simple: Dont support Nintendo for next console system and games in the future. Let them bankrupted then. That's why I sold Nintendo Switch 1 Generation system. Nintendo is done! They are cruel company! Hello Sony and Microsoft!

A smarter move would have been to recycle your Nintendo Switch 1 Generation system. That way it would have been lost forever.

Now you simply opened another door for some else to give Nintendo heaps of money via the eShop and physical game sales.

• Haha
Reactions: spotanjo3

MeowMeowMeow

S̈͊ͣ̎̍͋͟eͩ͊ͨ̂ͫ̐ͬ͟n̆ͨp͒ͪ̿̔aͤͬ̄ͩͨ͗̔iͧ̽ͤ
Trophies
D̀͌̀e̵ͧk̷u̾̂ͨ͗̾͊̚ ͥ̈ͤ̎̒̓T͊ͬ͜rͨ̌̔͂́e͂̌ͩͦ̃͜eͬͪ̄͝
XP
Country
Netherlands
Simple: Dont support Nintendo for next console system and games in the future. Let them bankrupted then. That's why I sold Nintendo Switch 1 Generation system. Nintendo is done! They are cruel company! Hello Sony and Microsoft!
They can stay alive for couple of years easily. You really think nintendo goes bankrupt if no one buys the new system?

• Haha
Reactions: spotanjo3

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Also can someone maybe take the time to port this to Linux 🥹? Wine is just not liking it lol
Got it to work on my Ubuntu, through Lutris. You just have to make sure to install dotnetdesktop6 on your Wine prefix, using Winetricks. Game works fine, with controller support.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Got it to work on my Ubuntu, through Lutris. You just have to make sure to install dotnetdesktop6 on your Wine prefix, using Winetricks. Game works fine, with controller support.
Can confirm it works fine! Tried with Bottles as well (Needed to disable the Discrete graphic card. They're working on that issue)

Reactions: Dust2dust

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
lol
you're making it sound like they dont protect their copyrights or something.
like they didn't fight the devs that hacked their consoles.

Reactions: TheCryOfHatred

PacBunnyXV07

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's the thing. Just because something is in the law doesn't mean everyone will agree and think it is logical, it is not hard to understand why so many people hate when something like this happens. I'd be glad to see someone using my art and ideas for their fan projects and I believe a lot of artists and developers that worked on these games also would share similar feelings, and even as a corporation Nintendo could've handled these situations much better, same applies to other stuff not related to fan games, like tournaments.
Theres a difference between "using" & stealing, you're just justifying someone using assets that they don't own.
Post automatically merged:

Well, ain't that a classic Nintendo move? No sooner does a fan project like Link's Awakening DX HD start getting some buzz, Nintendo swoops in with the DMCA hammer. RIP, dreams of a fan-made Zelda masterpiece. The game was up on Itch.io for less than a day, and poof, it's gone.

Nintendo's copyright infringement claims strike again, and this time it's hitting a fully playable version of Link's Awakening. They wasted no time dropping the hammer, and now the game's vanished from the platform. The DMCA notice, as expected, is all about Nintendo protecting its turf. Can't have folks playing a fan-made Zelda when Nintendo's got its own Link's Awakening out there, right?

But hey, these fan projects always find a way to linger in the shadows. The game was uploaded post-completion, so I'm betting there's a sneaky backup floating around in the vast expanse of the internet. The never-ending game of cat and mouse between Nintendo and fan creators continues. Let's see how this unfolds in the ongoing saga of fan-made gaming adventures.
Kool story brah, now are you done?

PacBunnyXV07

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

@rantex92 If you played the game or atleast seen the trailer its using Nintendo assets. You're just giving BeniBel shit because you didn't like what he said. Also "fanboy alert"? What are you 5?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: