Nintendo is remaking Super Mario RPG

Nintendo is reviving the very first Mario RPG. In a style very reminiscent of the original, Nintendo is giving Super Mario RPG a full remake, with a trailer that shows off beloved moments from the game with a fresh new look. Mario, Peach, Bowser, and yes, Geno, are back. The game launches on November 17, 2023.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Holy shit, I did not think this would happen. I thought Nintendo didn't like Mario games with actual plot anymore and they'd rather just pretend the older Mario RPGs didn't exist.
One thing I have been wanting for a while is remakes/remasters of the older Paper Mario games. They deserve to be updated to give younger gamers a chance to play them. And the original Paper Mario kinda needs it, the graphics really haven't aged well, although it's still good fun.
But this will do nicely, it's also an excellent game, and it makes sense to let the first Mario RPG be the first one to get a remake. Maybe we can get a remake of the other ones later. I haven't played SMRPG in a long time, and I think I've only beaten it once. Perfect time to replay it.

@Chary "Mario, Peach, Bowser, and yes, Geno" How dare you forget Mallow? I am offended.

Reactions: Xzi and Hanafuda

PopcornSweetie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Nintendo is reviving the very first Mario RPG. In a style very reminiscent of the original, Nintendo is giving Super Mario RPG a full remake, with a trailer that shows off beloved moments from the game with a fresh new look. Mario, Peach, Bowser, and yes, Geno, are back. The game launches on November 17, 2023.

He isn't playable in Smash Bros. But he is back, totally unexpected (at least for me) WELCOME BACK GENO!!! 😍😍😍😍

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I think it would be poetic if ex Alpha Dream developers were the ones behind this remake because some of the people behind the original SNES SMRPG went on to form Alpha Dream.

Reactions: KingVamp

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so they got the rights back from SE? (main reason why we got paper mario series to begin with was because SE had half the rights to this title it was a legal mess iirc) i'm sure this is a 1 and done deal though no proper sequel

Reactions: Vorde

Prior22

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I’ve never been able to beat the final boss in that game. Hopefully there is an HP Meter for bosses so the player knows
How close they are to beating him.

CraymelCage

Trophies
XP
This literally took me by surprise when I watched the direct. So excited for this remake. It genuinely looks amazing. There is also a HD pixel version of star ocean 2 coming out, but that felt a bit unnecessary. Still looked great, but star ocean 3 desperately needs some love.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Did Nintendo finally get over their hatred and jealousy of original characters created by someone else for their IPs?

1ualhp.jpg

Vorde

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I already asked in the "direct" discussion but since this is specifically wrt the SMRPG remake ... think Culex will still be there?

https://www.mariowiki.com/Culex
I believe that they would have Culex in it, because they would have already paid for the rights to remake this from Square.
I. Am. So. Excited.
Haven't been this excited for a remake in a very very long time. Actually ever lol

Reactions: Hanafuda and tabzer

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Are you watching, SE? THIS is how you are supposed to bring back an old RPG from the 90s.
IDK, the cutscenes look fantastic but the in-game aesthetic could've been better, a lot of the clay effect on characters seems to be missing and they end up looking like standard 3D World models as a result. Nitpicky I know, but I can't say I definitively prefer it to HD-2D.

Last edited by Xzi,

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
If you're really gonna do this, instead of remaking Chrono Trigger...can you please improve the balancing? Bowser was very much shortchanged in the original, often being considered the weakest and least-useful party member, for one thing, and Peach was practically mandatory due to how tanky she could be.
Fix that, please. Make Bowser far more powerful, and make it so I'm not essentially required to use Peach to survive the tougher bosses.

LeyendaV

The One and Only
Trophies
Website
heylink.me
XP
Country
Argentina
IDK, the cutscenes look fantastic but the in-game aesthetic could've been better, a lot of the clay effect on characters seems to be missing and they end up looking like standard 3D World models as a result. Nitpicky I know, but I can't say I definitively prefer it to HD-2D.
I was talking about FF7R.

Reactions: Xzi

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I knew I should've bought the 50ft ethernet cord over the 25 lesson learned size matters