Nintendo killing many games related Online Services for Wii & DS

naddel81

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Played Brawl online like... once. And it was basically unplayable.

was it ever playable? I tried it a few times. always loading forever or no enemies found or laggy as shit. I do not call that "online play"
Stop the bus, Mario Kart Wii and SSBB online are being shutdown?!?! I play both of these, daily (well CTGP and Project M).

you mean SSBB is playable for you? proof or it did not happen! :)

Obveron

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Unreal, I can still buy Mario Kart Wii brand new at my local Futureshop and Walmart.
It isn't even that I'll no longer be able to play CTGP and ProjectM that makes me mad. It's that if they can't continue to support popular games, why should anyone trust they'll continue to support the Wii-u or 3ds games in the future. Nintendo have just proven they'll abandon active communities at the drop of a hat, that's not the kind of company I can get behind. It's a shame, Nintendo was one of those companies that I truly loved as a child. Now they are proving to be the worst gaming company of this decade.

was it ever playable? I tried it a few times. always loading forever or no enemies found or laggy as shit. I do not call that "online play"

you mean SSBB is playable for you? proof or it did not happen! :)
Just ProjectM

Sizednochi

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
why should anyone trust they'll continue to support the Wii-u or 3ds games in the future. Nintendo have just proven they'll abandon active communities at the drop of a hat, that's not the kind of company I can get behind. It's a shame, Nintendo was one of those companies that I truly loved as a child. Now they are proving to be the worst gaming company of this decade.

There you go.

http://nintendoeverything.com/iwata...o-network-ids-incorporating-of-smart-devices/

In addition, we tried to encourage consumers to upgrade from an existing handheld device to a new handheld device, or from an existing console to a new console, by providing backward compatibility that enabled them to take their software assets from their existing system. However, we became disconnected with our consumers with the launch of each new device as we could only form device-based relationships.

On Wii U, we launched Nintendo Network IDs, which are abbreviated as NNIDs. This is the first step of our efforts to transform customer relationship management from device-based to account-based, namely, consumer-based, through which we aim to establish long-term relationships with individual consumers, unaffected by the lifespans of our systems. Our future platform will connect with our consumers based on accounts, not devices.

As a second step, Nintendo 3DS became compatible with NNIDs in December 2013. Nintendo 3DS was originally designed for a device-based management system, so making it account-compatible at a later time meant that not all of its features were perfect. However, we feel that we have taken a step in the right direction as we now have a uniformly managed system in which we are connected with our consumers on both handheld devices and consoles.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
If this means increased and improved online support for Wii U, then I'm all for them killing those online services for Wii and DS. When you take into account the Wii Mini doesn't even have online, then this move starts to make sense. They were in the process for quite some time.

SS4

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
The list seems to be only 1st party titles, so does that mean 3rd party games that have online play won't be affected?

But it seems like Nintendo always does this all the time to force ppl onto new platform.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The list seems to be only 1st party titles, so does that mean 3rd party games that have online play won't be affected?

Pretty sure most third parties killed off their online play well before this announcement. Then again, most third party Wii and DS games were measurably terrible, or lacked online capability to begin with.

SS4

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Pretty sure most third parties killed off their online play well before this announcement. Then again, most third party Wii and DS games were measurably terrible, or lacked online capability to begin with.

Yeah like Monster Hunter Tri . . . such a shame, and Monster Hunter Online doesnt seem to be making its way to North America i might have to get a Wii U soon . . .

CathyRina

Digimon Tamer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yeah like Monster Hunter Tri . . . such a shame, and Monster Hunter Online doesnt seem to be making its way to North America i might have to get a Wii U soon . . .

Monster Hunter Tri's online service ended long time ago.
As far as I hear people talking about MHO, the game isn't that great anyway.
Since HD Version of MH4U wasn't announced yet I would rather recommend you getting a 3DS instead of Wii U.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If this means increased and improved online support for Wii U, then I'm all for them killing those online services for Wii and DS. When you take into account the Wii Mini doesn't even have online, then this move starts to make sense. They were in the process for quite some time.

In theory, it sounds sound to be able to provided extended/continued support. However, ultimately only time will tell if they live up to these purported promises. Lord knows that their handling of such a transition has certainly not been even remotely smooth in any way.

aos10

Yuuki chan
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
http://en.pokemon-gl.com/

The Pokémon Global Link (PGL) service for Pokémon Black Version, Pokémon White Version,
Pokémon Black Version 2, and Pokémon White Version 2 has closed down as of January 14, 2014.
Please keep the following in mind when playing Pokémon Black Version, Pokémon White Version,
Pokémon Black Version 2 and Pokémon White Version 2.
  • ■ Any Pokémon in your game that you already have tucked in can be woken up. However, any Pokémon that you may have befriended in the Pokémon Dream World, or items that you may have received, will not be brought back to your game when you do so. Furthermore, none of the customizations to your C-Gear skins, Pokédex, or Musicals that you may have selected will be reflected when waking up your Pokémon.
  • ■ The Medals called Deep Sleep Capture, Dozing Capture, Good Night, Great Adventurer, Sleeping Capture, Sweet Dreamer, and Top Medalist, in Pokémon Black Version 2 and Pokémon White Version 2 will no longer be obtainable.

• The following services will continue to be available:
    Global Trade Station (GTS)
    Wi-Fi Random Matchups in Free Mode
    Wi-Fi Club

no need for panic

snk4ever

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Not fair Nintendo. I still play Tetris DS occasionally. If you're not providing the service anymore, provide the source code to the server-side software.

Reactions: Home_Rowed

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you can always use the FAKE GTS sites
Not if WFC fails to work as well. And the GTS is still terri-bad.

**EDIT**

Re-reading straight from the horse's ass mouth, Nintendo is cutting offline the Nintendo WFC service... which Pokemon is programmed to connect to before it even attempts to look for a GTS server. So this pretty much cuts every Wii and DS game that could still go online, and might even indirectly affect early 3DS online titles, too.

Social_Outlaw

G.B.A.T.e.m.p T.e.m.p.l.a.r K.n.i.g.h.t
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Ok Really though Nintendo? your gonna hurt so many fans by doing this.

May 20th:
The day of Apocalypse is near...
515.gif

Reactions: EZ-Megaman

w!!

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I already did a rant about the full switch to digital and how that will kill the "game collector" and now we are getting to the killing of web-based content and killing the game itself for the most part.

I'd like to see either:

1. Nintendo releases a final update to allow you to point to a new server of your choice and releases the server-side software/configuration to allow willing parties hose the software to allow the Wii to continue to find other Wiis on the server and establish peer-to-peer connections required to play most games.

or

2. Nintendo allows 3rd party game companies to stand up their own servers, and then the 3rd party game vendors issue patches to point their games to their own servers and host the server side software.

But... there's no money in that, so it won't happen. And this is clearly a try to push of Wii users to the Wii-U.

Someone in the homebrew community would need to sniff the packets, figure out the communication standard and we would either have to proxy Ninty's servers to a homebrew server, or patch the console to point to somewhere else.

And yes, services have died before, and this isn't really specific to Nintendo, I'd like to see all game service providers build something in to their model to address this. I remember PC games that used to allow you to host a server for MMO's or do a local network peer search to find other gamers looking to play... so this isn't undoable.

Sheimi

A cute Vixen!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good times on Mario Kart Wii Wifi. Using that universal item modifier on Wifi. Good times. Kinda sad to see this go, but I do play on Tetris Ds wifi a lot still.

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i'm shocked other games were not on the list.

Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars

but i heard all games are getting there plugs pulled.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZbUuSmFgMo