Nintendo killing many games related Online Services for Wii & DS

windwakr

Trophies
Website
windwakr.github.io
XP
Country
United States
...but I'm not sure if DeSmuME or any other DS emulator has online support.

DeSmuME does have WiFi support(but not enabled in their release builds). I'm currently using it to grab all the puzzle packs in Picross 3D. Someone needs to compile a list of games with content available through the WFC so we can start grabbing this sort of stuff.

EDIT: Would probably be a good idea to make a thread for this in the DS section.

Reactions: the_randomizer

Mewster

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
...so if I still have a shitload of nintendo points, I have to use them on the wiishop while I still can?

nevermind, I read "affected"

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
vWii used by Wii U doesn't have WiiConnect24, so online service for Wii is already much broken.
C'mon, man - WiiConnect24 is useless. I can't think of anything useful that actually uses it, or any important gameplay feature for that matter. That said, you have a point - if it's not supported, it's not full compatibility. :P

Toad King

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DeSmuME does have WiFi support(but not enabled in their release builds). I'm currently using it to grab all the puzzle packs in Picross 3D. Someone needs to compile a list of games with content available through the WFC so we can start grabbing this sort of stuff.

EDIT: Would probably be a good idea to make a thread for this in the DS section.
In that case packet captures for DS games should work just fine from the emulator so you don't need a CFW router or fancy wifi tapping hardware.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I'm honestly surprised by the shutdown of games like Pokémon, which have a ton of players even now, not to mention links between games. I'd imagine they'd want to enable some kind of third party servers to lower costs, but seems highly unlikely.

This also shows the sad state of dedicated online servers without peer to peer gaming. At least a lot of original 90s pc games are playable thanks to p2p hosting.

Reactions: Sicklyboy

Toad King

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm honestly surprised by the shutdown of games like Pokémon, which have a ton of players even now, not to mention links between games. I'd imagine they'd want to enable some kind of third party servers to lower costs, but seems highly unlikely.

This also shows the sad state of dedicated online servers without peer to peer gaming. At least a lot of original 90s pc games are playable thanks to p2p hosting.
The thing is I'm guessing a lot of these games use P2P for the actual gameplay part and just use the central server for matchmaking and such.

Black-Ice

Founder of the Church of Renamon
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm honestly surprised by the shutdown of games like Pokémon, which have a ton of players even now,

Everyone's moved on to X and Y.
The Pokemon BW online services actually shut down a long while ago with the launch of X and Y.

With MK Wii, they want to ensure people get 8 and a Wii U.
With Brawl, well that online system never worked too well anyway.

Tomobobo

Champion.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had over 4,000 wins on Mario Strikers Charged... Great times, I'll miss WFC.

I never did understand why consoles never gave the server/client options to the players. Even if it was a secondary way to play you could be assured that at anytime in the future you could host and play without having to go through some silly service that mucks up the whole process.

Now it seems a lot of PC titles go the same way engraving the death of each of the titles online communities.

I guess you can't expect everything to work forever, sad that xlink kai never got around to figuring out the local rsa encryption or whatever or we could at least still tunnel on download play or local wireless or whatever they called it.

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
I wonder if this has something to do with the recent problems they had when they released the Pokemon Bank stuff. The downtime affected Wii, DS and DSi services as well as those on the 3DS and Wii U. Perhaps they're compensating for the increased costs they just incurred, dumping the old services to save some money.

Nevertheless, though it doesn't affect me because I never really played the Wii or DS online, I feel bad for those that do. I thought they might have supported those platforms for at least another year or two.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
That's what I thought as well :) so maybe remove it from the OP's post?
You mean where it says

The following services are not affected by the termination, and will continue to be available after May 20th:

Internet Channel

?
Did it confuse you?

Reactions: BvanBart

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You guys are saying Pokemon is affected. The core players have mirgrated to Pokemon X and Y. Pokemon X and Y has already sold close to 12 million end of last year in 2 months. Not to mention better online setup, don't see anyone going back to b2/w2 for online when they own X/Y.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
That's what I thought as well :) so maybe remove it from the OP's post?

Updated the thread title to reflect the main functions being shut down.

You guys are saying Pokemon is affected. The core players have mirgrated to Pokemon X and Y. Pokemon X and Y have already sold close to 12 million end of last year in 2 month. Not to mention better online setup, don't see anyone going back to b2/w2 for online when they own X/Y.

I know, right? I would never want to play Pokémon black2 online, right?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn I have 8 modded rgh3 x360 slims I've done, I need to get rid of, I figured my family members or friends would want but times have changed. Think I'm gonna stop buying them and modding. Time to Switch it up (pun intended)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yay power outages
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa, I'm your friend
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    There literally no storms in your area, does it go out alot? You need to just send me your slim n ill rgh3 it free.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or grow sum balls and do it yourself, not hard. More of a pain to jailbreak a ps4 than it is the 360, other than little soldering.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Problem is my dick gets in the way
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea true, would be a pain having that on your forehead
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The chicks love it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Every damn time there's a loud noise dudes car alarm goes off freaking annoying
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Stun gun the metal of the car (door, bumper, etc), you won't hear it again, promise.
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    damn accidentally ripped my car cover just now
    happens
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or plant drugs get him evicted
    the one on my other car is all ripped up
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Not your $400 car cover :ohnoes:
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    There you go, thinking with your "dickhead"
    some day the wind will blow so hard it'll rip in half
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I think in big inches
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @realtimesave Can you sew it back together? Or is it not worth trying.
    nah sewing it will make it come apart more :)
    that one is pretty old
    the one on my mercedes is a couple years old. these things don't last very long at all
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Are you near sea/salt water, or in general they just don't last. Sounds like if you driving a mercedes, you need a garage
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Are you near sea/salt water, or in general they just don't last. Sounds like if you driving a...