Nintendo killing many games related Online Services for Wii & DS

GHANMI

Trophies
XP
Country
Dragon Quest will be going down but Solatorobo and Final Fantasy are not on the list, so shouldn't they keep working?

All of them will be going down, without exception.
I created a thread over here, If anyone wants to help with saves, now is the time.

Update : Nintendo confirmed this is a global closure. Here’s a list of Nintendo of America published games that will not work over Nintendo Wi-Fi. This is not a complete list of affected titles, just the one’s Nintendo published.
Read more at http://www.siliconera.com/2014/02/26/nintendo-shutting-nintendo-wi-fi-service-wii-ds/#2mdhoStKmusueTte.99

D

Deleted User

Why did he bold the Pokemon games? I mean, you quoted the source, there is no need to bold what you personally believe are the biggest, it feels tainted.

On a note to the topic: Nintendo are not very good with Wi-Fi services.

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
it's been 6 years. F*** y** Nintendo for this

At least you should've had kept Pokemon BW12, given they were pretty recent. Also no mario kart wii

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hilarious to think that in one thread everyone was complaining about how bad Nintendo online services are and, now that they are closing Wii/DS online services, everyone is crying.

Well, I guess online servers will always be eventually shutdown. Only thing to do is hope some willing people will make alternative servers

osirisjem

I miss the Wii remotes
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Update : Nintendo confirmed this is a global closure. Here’s a list of Nintendo of America published games that will not work over Nintendo Wi-Fi. This is not a complete list of affected titles, just the one’s Nintendo published.

Here is a copy of the list of affected 1st party titles
Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection service for Nintendo DS and Wii to end in May

2014-02-26
As of May 20, 2014, certain online functionality offered through Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection will no longer be accessible. The discontinued services include online play, matchmaking and leaderboards for many Wii, Nintendo DS and Nintendo DSi games. For a comprehensive list of games and services that are affected, please check http://support.nintendo.com/servicesupdate. Users can still play the games in offline mode, which continues to offer a rich game-play experience.
Online play for Wii U and Nintendo 3DS games will be unaffected (aside from the Wii mode on Wii U and Nintendo DS games on Nintendo 3DS family systems). Other online functionality, such as access to the Wii Shop Channel, the Nintendo DSi Shop and video-on-demand services, are also not affected at this time.

We at Nintendo sincerely thank our fans for their continued support of our company’s legacy systems. Your enthusiasm for games made for these systems speaks to their longevity, and the passion of Nintendo fans.
List of affected Nintendo software titles
Note: Game functionality that does not require an Internet connection will remain unchanged.
Nintendo DS
100 Classic Books
Animal Crossing: Wild World
Advance Wars: Days of Ruin
Clubhouse Games
Custom Robo Arena
Diddy Kong Racing DS
Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies
Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 2
Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon
Fossil Fighters: Champions
Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
Mario Kart DS
Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis
Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Mini-Land Mayhem
Metroid Prime Hunters
Personal Trainer: Walking
Picross 3D
Picross DS
Planet Puzzle League
Pokémon Black Version
Pokémon Black Version 2
Pokémon Diamond Version
Pokémon HeartGold Version
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Darkness
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time
Pokémon Pearl Version
Pokémon Platinum Version
Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs
Pokémon Ranger: Shadows of Almia
Pokémon SoulSilver Version
Pokémon White Version
Pokémon White Version 2
Professor Layton and the Curious Village
Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Professor Layton and the Last Specter
Professor Layton and the Unwound Future
Star Fox Command
Style Savvy
Tenchu: Dark Secret
Tetris DS
WarioWare DIY
Nintendo DSiWare
Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Minis March Again!
Metal Torrent
Number Battle
Wii
Animal Crossing: City Life
Battalion Wars 2
Endless Ocean
Endless Ocean 2: Adventures of the Deep
Excitebots: Trick Racing
Fortune Street
Mario Kart Wii
Mario Sports Mix
Mario Strikers Charged
Pokémon Battle Revolution
Samurai Warriors 3
Sin & Punishment: Star Successor
Super Smash Brothers Brawl
Wii Music*
WiiWare
Dr. Mario Online RX
Excitebike: World Rally
LONPOS
Maboshi's Arcade
My Pokémon Ranch
ThruSpace
WarioWare DIY
Other
Wii Speak**
Wii Speak Channel**

(*) Services that require Internet communication ended on June 28, 2013.
(**) As Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection is required to use this title, it is no longer functional
I didn't expect to play Mario Kart Wii online forever.
No big deal really.

DeShelly

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Greece
EDM120.jpg

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Hilarious to think that in one thread everyone was complaining about how bad Nintendo online services are and, now that they are closing Wii/DS online services, everyone is crying.
Because bad services are still (slightly) better than no services at all.

They're axing online multiplayer for their most popular titles. Now, I know Nintendo fears and hates online multiplayer and has wet dreams of everyone getting together in one place to game as is right an proper and not touching the scary evil new "internet" that alienates people, but I doubt this was the goal they were working towards. I can't imagine the pennies they will save on server costs will keep them afloat so that can't be it either. Maybe they are trying to force people to switch to the Wii U? In lieu of actually having games for it.

Reactions: Nightwish

GHANMI

Trophies
XP
Country
Well, I'm going to start captureing packets. If there can be private servers for PSO on GameCube, I'm pretty sure we can do it on the Wii/DS too.

By all means, please do.
There are lots of Japanese DSiWare games that essentially require WFC to even run properly, besides all of the potential lost multiplayer options for Mario Kart/JSS... If there's a mean to capture all games, I hope there's someone who can do it and set the files for private servers.

NakedFaerie

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Australia
the really sad day is when this happens for xbox 360 and PS3.
It happens all the time. Remember the 64 player online game MAG. Well that closed servers this year. So did Socom and a few other games.
That Metal Gear Online closed last year or was it the year before?
And I just got Homefront this year and didn't realise the servers were gone. I did hear they closed about 6 months after the game was released.

So the PS3 is loosing servers all the time. Sucks for the online only games.
THATS why I always try to get the games in disc as that way you can always play them. As long as your console works and its not an online only game you can play it. As my console is banned I can still play all my games and even more now thanks to CFW. Thats also a big FU to $ony for banning my account too.

Reactions: Nightwish

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
C'mon, man - WiiConnect24 is useless. I can't think of anything useful that actually uses it, or any important gameplay feature for that matter. That said, you have a point - if it's not supported, it's not full compatibility. :P
Without WiiConnect24, there is no friend code.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Sad news! I never really even played Mario Kart Wii enough online :( RIP Wii and DS, we hardly knew ye...

At least I finally can play my collections instead of collecting.

The bots are assholes and online players would be even worse but I suppose there's always a way to play it if you want.

By the way, I never really used any of Wii/DS online services because well, they're not that attracting or good. I did play Brawl online once and it was fun.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    T @ Texasauras: https://www.google.com/search?newwindow=1&sca_esv=16485b3b92093b39&sxsrf=ADLYWIKoCWg2kMULtWQ7kwfr...