Nintendo officially reveals the OLED model Nintendo Switch console

After rumors, claims, and endless debate, Nintendo has proven that it was all true: there is a new Nintendo Switch model coming. Simply titled the Nintendo Switch (OLED model) this version of the console features a 7-inch 720p OLED screen, a new stand for the tablet, 64GB internal storage, "enhanced audio", and a dock that comes with a LAN port. The OLED Switch will retail for $349.99 USD, and launches October 8, 2021.

The system will be available in either white or the traditional Switch colors of neon blue and red. Nintendo's official site refrains from mentioning any new or more powerful processing power over the original Nintendo Switch, and states that the system will max out at 1080p/60fps when docked.

Nintendo Switch (OLED model) console

Nintendo Switch (OLED model) console
Size 102mm x 242mm x 13.9mm (with Joy-Con controllers attached)
Please note: 28.4mm at the thickest, from the tips of the analogue sticks to the ZL/ZR Button protrusions.
Weight Approx. 320g
(With Joy-Con controllers attached: 420g)
Screen Capacitive touch screen / 7-inch OLED / 1280x720 resolution
CPU/GPU NVIDIA customised Tegra processor
System memory 64 GB

You can increase your console's storage with compatible microSD cards (sold separately). For more information on compatible microSD cards, please visit our support section.

Please note: a portion of the internal memory is reserved for use by the system.
Communication features Wireless LAN (IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac compliant) / Bluetooth 4.1
In TV mode, it's also possible to use a wired LAN connection.
Video output Maximum resolution: 1920x1080, 60 fps
Please note: output via HDMI cable in TV mode. In tabletop mode and handheld mode, the maximum resolution is 1280x720, which matches the screen resolution.
Audio output Supports linear PCM 5.1ch
Please note: output via HDMI cable in TV mode.
Speakers Stereo
USB terminal USB Type-C terminal
Used for charging or for connecting to the Nintendo Switch dock.
Audio jack 4 pole stereo 3.5mm mini plug (CTIA standard)
Please note: Nintendo cannot guarantee functionality with all products.
Game card slot Exclusively for Nintendo Switch game cards.
microSD card slot Compatible with microSD, microSDHC and microSDXC memory cards. Please read our microSD Card FAQ for more information on compatible microSD cards.

Please note: an update via an internet connection is required to use microSDXC memory cards.
Sensors Accelerometer / gyroscope / brightness sensor
Operating environment Temperature: 5 - 35°C / Humidity: 20 - 80%
Internal battery Lithium ion battery / battery capacity 4310mAh
Please note: the internal battery cannot be removed. If the battery needs to be replaced, it can be replaced for a fee via Nintendo Customer Support.
Battery life Approx. 4.5-9 hours

The battery life will depend on the games you play. For instance, the battery will last approximately 5.5 hours for The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.
Charging time 3 hours approx.
Please note: this is the time taken to charge while the console is in sleep mode.

WG481

Official Waluigi Propagandist
Trophies
Somewhere. Look hard enough and you could find me.
XP
Country
United States
Can't really say its an upgrade to this generation of gaming, but an upgrade to the Switch nonetheless.
Now..... let's try to hack it Team Xecuter are you with me?....... "cricket sounds" lul:rofl2:
The earlier versions will be susceptible to the hacks better than the other revisions they'll roll out. Modchips will be a no for the near future, but I'm sure work will be done to them for the hacking community. The (although not apparent) new specs will be a spec-tacle (NO) for the hacking community.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Since I don't game portably, this is of no value to me. Pass.
You're missing out.

Deleted member 514389

GBA Connoisseur
Trophies
Website
f.ls
XP
Country
Germany
Newer OLEDs are alot better at handling burn in, and modern TV's use pixel shift to prevent burn in. Will the Switche's screen have those features? I don't know.
Highly interesting. (why didn't that post get more attention ? :mellow:)
Thx. Pixel Shift.
Let's hope Ninty implemented that.

Ninty really is the Apple of the VGindustry.

I have an urge to get it, despite knowing it won't make toast or fill out my tax filings.
Thankfully they're the only company to manage that.

Last edited by Deleted member 514389,
Reactions: Payne

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Newer OLEDs are alot better at handling burn in, and modern TV's use pixel shift to prevent burn in. Will the Switche's screen have those features? I don't know.
I dunno if pixel shift necessarily prevents burn in or just blurs the edges to make it less noticeable.

ov3rkill

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Damnit! The fanboy in me is still screaming to get this though.
Here's an idea. Since they cant change the size of the switch due to the joycons. Why dont we just take a Switch OLED shell and put it on our regular modded switches. I mean literally all it be good for rn

I like this idea. I wonder if we'll need a driver and connector adapter for that OLED screen. If it doesn't and it's just plug and play, then it's a win for the for modded switch community. We just need the shell with the OLED screen. I'm hype for that honestly. Frankenstein build. Hell yeah!

fadx

Filthy Cheater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The earlier versions will be susceptible to the hacks better than the other revisions they'll roll out. Modchips will be a no for the near future, but I'm sure work will be done to them for the hacking community. The (although not apparent) new specs will be a spec-tacle (NO) for the hacking community.

You're missing out.
What are they missing out on? An additional 32GB and an integrated Ethernet port? I'm sure they will survive.

peteruk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I can't believe I went for an afternoon nap and then 'this' happened :O

I've got real mixed feelings about it... I love OLED technology, sorry I don't care what anybody says but in my eyes it looks stunning

The dock looks really nice, ethernet handy, kickstand upgrade handy, 64 GB internal storage great, but where the hell is a) the better SOC and b) the 4k in docked mode ??

Will I still buy it... hmmm probably, but at £349 they're slightly taking the piss, suppose I could always sell my dual IPS n3ds to fund it

I mainly play in docked mode so the beautiful OLED will be hidden most of the time, plus no RCM bug

Decisions decisions decisions :unsure:

Urbanshadow

Trophies
XP
Country
How exactly can it have the same battery life with an oled screen which has the same number of pixels as the old screen?

Better pixel, more efficient for less consumption. Actually it makes sense as the oled black is cheaper on the power consumption side.

sley

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It's not a hard pass but still a pass from me because I expected upscaled 4K output at the minimum. I hope that the next model will also have the Ethernet built in.

I'm pretty sure that this is just a replacement for the old switch and that they will release an upgraded model in the future.

Reactions: Payne

DaniPoo

Trophies
XP
Country
And everyone was lying about the 4K upscaling. :D anyway I’m really not surprised.
This is in line with what I expected even if I was hoping that it would have a bit more.
Doesn’t look like a buy for me tbh…

wouldn’t be surprised if everyone starts changing their rumors to that this is not the pro model that Nintendo still will announce next year :P

Last edited by DaniPoo,

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
i will wait for reviews but if there is no upgrade in game performances paying 350 for an oled is kinda pricey, i wont get it at day one for sure, maybe in afew years on discounts or something.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

You're missing out.

How the hell am I "missing out"? Because I never play my Switch portably? Because I always keep it docked and don't like playing it in portable mode? Sorry, but you're dead wrong.

Reactions: MartianMSK and fadx

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Honestly, after thinking about, this might be the last revision before getting the true next Switch.
yeah i doubt they are gonna do a switch pro tbh, i think in the next 2 years by 2023 there will be a switch 2 and they will have no time for a pro since that wont have any time to get any decent support imo.

playstays_shun

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah i doubt they are gonna do a switch pro tbh, i think in the next 2 years by 2023 there will be a switch 2 and they will have no time for a pro since that wont have any time to get any decent support imo.

in another 2 years they should just move on and call it the Switch 2, or a new name completely to distinguish a new generation.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Also the wood ui for twl menu is back... +2