Nintendo officially reveals the OLED model Nintendo Switch console

After rumors, claims, and endless debate, Nintendo has proven that it was all true: there is a new Nintendo Switch model coming. Simply titled the Nintendo Switch (OLED model) this version of the console features a 7-inch 720p OLED screen, a new stand for the tablet, 64GB internal storage, "enhanced audio", and a dock that comes with a LAN port. The OLED Switch will retail for $349.99 USD, and launches October 8, 2021.

The system will be available in either white or the traditional Switch colors of neon blue and red. Nintendo's official site refrains from mentioning any new or more powerful processing power over the original Nintendo Switch, and states that the system will max out at 1080p/60fps when docked.

Nintendo Switch (OLED model) console

Nintendo Switch (OLED model) console
Size 102mm x 242mm x 13.9mm (with Joy-Con controllers attached)
Please note: 28.4mm at the thickest, from the tips of the analogue sticks to the ZL/ZR Button protrusions.
Weight Approx. 320g
(With Joy-Con controllers attached: 420g)
Screen Capacitive touch screen / 7-inch OLED / 1280x720 resolution
CPU/GPU NVIDIA customised Tegra processor
System memory 64 GB

You can increase your console's storage with compatible microSD cards (sold separately). For more information on compatible microSD cards, please visit our support section.

Please note: a portion of the internal memory is reserved for use by the system.
Communication features Wireless LAN (IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac compliant) / Bluetooth 4.1
In TV mode, it's also possible to use a wired LAN connection.
Video output Maximum resolution: 1920x1080, 60 fps
Please note: output via HDMI cable in TV mode. In tabletop mode and handheld mode, the maximum resolution is 1280x720, which matches the screen resolution.
Audio output Supports linear PCM 5.1ch
Please note: output via HDMI cable in TV mode.
Speakers Stereo
USB terminal USB Type-C terminal
Used for charging or for connecting to the Nintendo Switch dock.
Audio jack 4 pole stereo 3.5mm mini plug (CTIA standard)
Please note: Nintendo cannot guarantee functionality with all products.
Game card slot Exclusively for Nintendo Switch game cards.
microSD card slot Compatible with microSD, microSDHC and microSDXC memory cards. Please read our microSD Card FAQ for more information on compatible microSD cards.

Please note: an update via an internet connection is required to use microSDXC memory cards.
Sensors Accelerometer / gyroscope / brightness sensor
Operating environment Temperature: 5 - 35°C / Humidity: 20 - 80%
Internal battery Lithium ion battery / battery capacity 4310mAh
Please note: the internal battery cannot be removed. If the battery needs to be replaced, it can be replaced for a fee via Nintendo Customer Support.
Battery life Approx. 4.5-9 hours

The battery life will depend on the games you play. For instance, the battery will last approximately 5.5 hours for The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.
Charging time 3 hours approx.
Please note: this is the time taken to charge while the console is in sleep mode.

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Based on the naming of Switch (OLED), they will probably just call it that, a Switch 2. Unless for some reason, they go with a completely different concept.

SwitchU

It's amazing how these things release... when... "We're not working on anything right now..."[when asked about switch Pro)

Except they never said that [when asked about switch Pro)

ZachyCatGames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know people are complaining about the device not having upgraded internals but I'm genuinely curious if it's feasible or not. The Xbox One X for instance got little support even with the upgraded internals and if devs couldn't update their games the best they could do was upscale to 4k. Same thing with the N3DS as barely any games actually used the new features. Would updating the internals break some games that were designed to work with the original switch? Even if it's just an "FPS boost" some games might not be designed to take the increases performance and break due to high frame rates.
Besides increasing clockspeeds or using faster memory, they can’t really do anything, no.
Using a newer SoC with a more modern GPU architecture would break compatibility with every currently existing NX application unless they use some kind of GPU translation layer/emulation, which would devastate performance.

Reactions: spriteice

Davycrockof

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have 6 switches but I have to say I like the glossy white....I will definitely preorder one when I get the chance and sell one of my other ones!

Keep in mind if you always play on docked there is literally zero reason to buy this... I'm buying one because I like the glossy white and the expandable internal storage with the OLED screen for my portable play.
what games do you local wireless play with?

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
upload_2021-7-7_11-19-42.png

This is only the third, still one more to come. Long live the Switch!

Switch 2017-2027 still not even half life yet!

Last edited by TomSwitch,

deinonychus71

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For any of you that are upset or disappointed or any negative emotion about this:

Are you blaming Nintendo? If so, why, when they never said there was going to be a Switch Pro with 4K gaming, or that there was going to be a Switch 2, or even this model. They said nothing, you chose to believe the rumours several groups created, and set your expectations to those levels, based on... nothing.

It has little to do with the "rumors" and more about the fact that there is a demand for it, with good reason. There's nothing wrong with letting a company know what we want.
That they never talked about it does not mean they cannot be criticized for their decisions. Just like I will keep complaining that they're letting F-Zero rot I will also complain because they aren't offering a high end model.

And I will do so because I am entitled to do so as consumer of their products, just as they are to simply ignore it.

Besides increasing clockspeeds or using faster memory, they can’t really do anything, no.
Using a newer SoC with a more modern GPU architecture would break compatibility with every currently existing NX application unless they use some kind of GPU translation layer/emulation, which would devastate performance.

Genuinely curious... Why do you think so? On PC we get new GPU architectures all the time and games remain compatible after driver update. As long as the set of instruction is close enough I'm not sure why it would be such an impossible task?

Last edited by deinonychus71,

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Look at the DS family. Don't think they were targeting upgrader.
So expecting one more to come is reasonable based on their track record.

Nintendo was never for people who wants kick ass bleeding edge device.

Say you are buying a new phone. You would prefer to buy a recently refreshed model though not a lot has changed from the old one?

The stars are aligned for Nintendo to release a OLED product, that is very much it.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

It has little to do with the "rumors" and more about the fact that there is a demand for it, with good reason. There's nothing wrong with letting a company know what we want.
That they never talked about it does not mean they cannot be criticized for their decisions. Just like I will keep complaining that they're letting F-Zero rot I will also complain because they aren't offering a high end model.

And I will do so because I am entitled to do so as consumer of their products, just as they are to simply ignore it.

Genuinely curious... Why do you think so? On PC we get new GPU architectures all the time and games remain compatible after driver update. As long as the set of instruction is close enough I'm not sure why it would be such an impossible task?
PC gaming is never fine tuned for the masses. If you are playing a game that needs to be fine tuned (like purposely slow down here and there for some hardware for the ultimate experience) PC may well be the worst platform even for high end device.

For retro gaming nothing beats the original hardware. Your PC can run the game faster but it is normally not better.

deinonychus71

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PC gaming is never fine tuned for the masses. If you are playing a game that needs to be fine tuned (like purposely slow down here and there for some hardware for the ultimate experience) PC may well be the worst platform even for high end device.

That's right, but I would expect a next gen switch to be enough of a step up to be able to handle gen 1 switch games with relative ease as long as it's based on the same architecture. Or they could go the hybrid emulation route too.
I think it very unlikely Nintendo would give up on retro compatibility on one of their most successful console right away, and I'd hate to see Smash Ultimate be stuck in limbo.

One can only hope, though.

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's right, but I would expect a next gen switch to be enough of a step up to be able to handle gen 1 switch games with relative ease as long as it's based on the same architecture. Or they could go the hybrid emulation route too.
I think it very unlikely Nintendo would give up on retro compatibility on one of their most successful console right away, and I'd hate to see Smash Ultimate be stuck in limbo.

One can only hope, though.
DS was timing perfect for GBA games as they actually have the GBA hardware inside DS.

Nothing else can do GBA game perfectly except DS. Switch is sadly not able to do GBA game that well.

Nintendo has learn their lessons that what they did before to have enhanced version were sadly mostly a waste of their effort. Game developers now knows not to make enhanced version as return to their investment can't justify the effort. I don't know how many enhanced version were ever made but I guess can be counted with fingers?

Having strong legacy games running on their hardware best is Nintendo's way and a strength they have that is unmatched why would they give that up?

Imagine in year 2027 you buy a switch and it runs your 2017 game, every single one, perfectly !!

While some PS4 games are actually bad on a PS5 and very soon there won't be any console that can run them perfectly.

A only plus and no minus strategy isn't a bad one. You are assured of getting something more and nothing less.

rmorris003

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I never believed any of the rumors as Nintendo will always be generations behind as they don't care about having good hardware and just something innovative for the kids. I want them to go back to the days of being the main home console like it was in NES/SNES days but now I will always be Xbox as my main system since the OG.

Last edited by rmorris003,
Reactions: Undwiz

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users