Nintendo removes Netflix from 3DS and Wii U eShops, service to be discontinued this year

Netflix_Logo_RGB.png

As the new year rang in across the world, Nintendo was at work quietly removing the Netflix application from the eShop for both the Nintendo 3DS and the Wii U. The app was removed on December 31st, 2020, according to a statement released on the Nintendo of America customer support site. The statement assures that users who have already downloaded the Netflix app in the past will be able to re-download it for now, but no new downloads will be available on either platform. The statement goes on to inform that, as of June 30th, 2021, the Netflix service will be discontinued on both devices.

:arrow:Source

yuyuyup

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
thankfully there is cfw to allow for that
Yeah but it took SO LONG for the tools to become available , and it's a huge pain in the ass to convert properly to 3ds (you must extract the audio/add gain with audacity/remux when you convert, or else the sound will be way too low) now I just watch 3d movies on my cheapo gear vr setup

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
Who even still uses netflix? Real Debrid + Kodi. Fraction of the price of netflix.
That's just a step above watching movies on youtube. If you get a nas and obtain/manage your media yourself, then you're actually in control and don't need to pay anyone.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
well the switch is just a big 3ds without the second screen and 3d :P
The thing I miss on the Switch that my 3DS had was StreetPass. It gave me a reason to carry my 3DS with me to crowded places like conventions.

Ampersound

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
This really sucks for some people. I don't know if she still does but my aunt used to use the (my cousin's) Wii U to watch Netflix because she doesn't have a Smart TV, and she's the type that never buys new electronics unless she actually needs it. Wii U still makes a pretty good video streaming machine.

Who uses Real Debrid? You can use Elementum for free.
What's Elementum?

D

Deleted User

Figured they'd do it this year because it's been running for a lot longer than expected.

SONY will probably discontinue their online service on PS3 maybe this or next year, and Rockstar if they're generous they'll let GTA V Online on PS3 run for another year.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Wii U to watch Netflix because she doesn't have a Smart TV
That's an odd device to keep around to watch Netflix through. An Android TV Box does it and it's a lot more compact.

PewnyPL

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
To be fair, this may not be so much Nintendo's fault, but Netflix. Why update the app to conform to newer streaming standards, when the app is barely used?

Last edited by PewnyPL,
Reactions: Deleted User

PewnyPL

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
SONY will probably discontinue their online service on PS3 maybe this or next year, and Rockstar if they're generous they'll let GTA V Online on PS3 run for another year.
Rockstar would have nothing to do with it. If Sony closes online services for PS3, then you won't be able to play GTA V online no matter what R* does.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
They must really be wanting to go all in on either the Switch or its successor!

I won't get tired of saying this anytime soon, the Switch has more games that the DS, DSi and 3DS combined.

The 3DS was launched in 2010 and in the last few years game sales for it tanked.

Is time to let it go.

SuperrSonic

Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
What was Netflix like on a 3DS?
Not horrible but not good either.
dWEHGls.png

No profile support, no h264 video, mono audio, and (in case it's hard to make it out from the picture) the bitrate and resolution is always 368x208, 370 kbps.
Video playback at 30 fps is smooth. Picking alternate audio track does not work in some titles.

The subtitles always use the same font, color, position and are hard to read sometimes.
EQfjioa.png

They never got past the old NF logo.
UVVXJhK.png

Scenes with a lot of motion just don't work.
DfTIeF3.png

Reactions: Ynovan
D

Deleted User

Remember how it took them a whole year to put Youtube on switch lol
Lets see how long it takes them to put Netflix on there

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: By then I'll have some little mini pc anyway