Nintendo reportedly has added an anti-cheat method to Splatoon 2

KxhPOrPKs5bXWNZHKmP4jvvjRSevwnF3.jpg

A few weeks ago, it was reported that a Splatoon 2 hacker had utilized an over-the-top method to beg Nintendo to add anti-cheat to their game. He had broken the leaderboards by hacking them to show the top results as "Please, Add, Anti, Cheat", making an attempt to get attention to the matter, and asking Nintendo to do something, whilst getting banned in the process. Coverage of the incident made its way to multiple gaming sites, but after the initial incident, it was assumed that nothing happened.

Now, according to the Splatoon Modding Hub, as of a little over a month ago, Nintendo actually did implement an anti-cheat for Splatoon 2. While the anti-cheat method had been in place, reportedly, it was merely in a test phase, until being rolled out as of recently. Starting the game with any mods present and going online will supposedly "flag" your console, and after a day, Nintendo will ban you.

Nintendo has introduced integrity checks in Splatoon 2 since version 3.1.0. [...]
(Khangaroo from Splatoon Modding Hub) has discovered this, I am now publishing this post. For Nintendo's sake, I won't be going into detail about how it works as of yet. It seems that bans are applied one day after the game flags you.

Beware: the game will flag you regardless if you use the mods online. Simply starting the game with edits is enough to flag you.

The following activites are probably still safe:

• Model edits
  • Music replacement
  • Text mods
  • Save edits, provided what you are doing can be considered as legitimate
  • and more...
Note that the above activites aren't guaranteed to be safe in the future.

:arrow: Source

Pluupy

_(:3」∠)_
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cheating is fine as long as they only play against other cheaters. Why not just segregate the cheaters and let them have fun?
Yeah cheating does offer interesting gameplay sometimes but then unintended shit happens and people blame the developer for making a "broken game". I am assuming this is why devs don't make "cheat mode" where all players have infinite everything or whatever.

My brother had a friend who hacked a scizor with max stats back in the day. To combat the scizor, my bro made a lv100 wobuffet and won.

Hozu

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm pretty disappointed that this is front-page news. Why is GBATemp warning people who cheat in online multiplayer games?

Slartibartfast42

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah cheating does offer interesting gameplay sometimes but then unintended shit happens and people blame the developer for making a "broken game". I am assuming this is why devs don't make "cheat mode" where all players have infinite everything or whatever.

My brother had a friend who hacked a scizor with max stats back in the day. To combat the scizor, my bro made a lv100 wobuffet and won.

It's an opt in system. When you opt in, you lose rights to complain.

BloodRose

Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
And sha1 and md5 aren't even 100% reliable, i'm pretty sure there was an incident once where something got hacked and somehow had the same hash

Frequently they do. I believe Commodore4Eva's later X360 firmwares spoofed the MD5 of the original production versions. With enough skills and knowledge almost any integrity check can be bypassed.

Reactions: GensokyoIceFairy
D

Deleted User

I've never seen cheaters at all. Private matches are safe to cheat apparently. If everyone is gonna complain they got a cheater, simply download the Nintendo app and report them from there. Kid you not, 1 report = investigation = ban after looking through the evidence. That's all. Nintendo is really serious when they see someone is reported at least once

V-Temp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's nice to see anti-cheat come to Splatoon 2, hopefully it can be replicated in MK8 and eventually Smash.

Though I do hope we'll be able to freely mess around with cheats in non-competitive and singleplayer titles.

You can't cheat at Smash (or fighting games with similar netcode design) in the conventional sense, it doesn't send data between clients, just button inputs and the server has a hard limit on button inputs it will even let you send so it auto-checks against bullshit command prompts being sent. If you alter your side client to give you "mega range" the other user won't see and the game wouldn't be able to even translate it properly as meaningful.

You can mod a Smash game and have no impact on the actual online, as was done frequently in Smash4.

CaffeinatedOwl

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You can't cheat at Smash (or fighting games with similar netcode design) in the conventional sense, it doesn't send data between clients, just button inputs and the server has a hard limit on button inputs it will even let you send so it auto-checks against bullshit command prompts being sent. If you alter your side client to give you "mega range" the other user won't see and the game wouldn't be able to even translate it properly as meaningful.

You can mod a Smash game and have no impact on the actual online, as was done frequently in Smash4.
I wasn't actually aware of this, but it makes a lot of sense, now that I think about it.

V-Temp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wasn't actually aware of this, but it makes a lot of sense, now that I think about it.

Fighting games have to deal with lag-switchers and such which slow button translation and cause desyncs that force the game to end up playing to the 'rules' of the slower player (the lagger). Some netcodes are properly built to account for this to not overly advantage the lagger but its how you can cheat.

Doesn't require hacking at all, though, just a lag switch on your network.

Reactions: CaffeinatedOwl

8BitWonder

Small Homebrew Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

That's neat, I wasn't aware of that either.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Should prove harder for those to cheat who wish to, which is helpful. It's difficult to weed them all out, but it gets annoying when every round has more than one cheaters. It's unplayable at that point. Whether this proves impenetrable or not, it's a step in the right direction.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Spend 50 hours playing the game