Nintendo sends DMCA notices for "syspatch-updater" homebrew app by iTotalJustice

AngryMario.jpg

Nintendo is back at it again with their latest and most well known franchise, the DMCA, and this time they went after quite a handful of GitHub repositories with their DMCA strikes.

The latest and most notable repository attacked by Nintendo's DMCA is the "sigpatch-updater" homebrew application by iTotalJustice (alongside all of its forks) just a few days ago. This isn't the first time for iTotalJustice however, since he got another DMCA takedown previously for the standalone "sipatches" repository before back in 2022. The application worked as its title implies, by basically updating the signature patches from within the Nintendo Switch console itself. This seems like yet another instance of Nintendo trying to stomp on any kind of possibility to run unsigned software on a homebrewed Nintendo Switch, be it actual homebrew applications or pirated ones. Even though the source code is down, the patcher itself seems to still be hosted in other websites, alongside other DMCA taken-down tools.

Unfortunately, "sigpatch-updater" isn't the only software hit with the latest attacks by Nintendo and its crusade against copyright-circumvention tactics, as Incognito_RCM by ScandalUK (this one still being live at the time of writing), kezplez-nx by shchmue, and another fork of Lockpick_RCM by SpaceNX have also been the target for Nintendo's DMCA, adding up to the instances of Nintendo going after homebrew projects for the Nintendo Switch, with one of the first reported being the original Lockpick_RCM, which got being taken down last year with a DMCA notice by Nintendo's lawyers, claiming the same copyright circumvention tactic.

With all of the current legal events taking place in regards to Nintendo both in regards to homebrew apps and Switch emulator Yuzu, it's most likely that they will continue to scour the internet and GitHub repositories for any kind of semblance of alleged copyright-circumvention methods, applications, or even guides to dump Switch keys of any sort. The legal clarity regarding fair and personal use when it comes to copyright-protected technological devices are still unclear to make any kind of counter-claim against their DMCA notices.

:arrow: iTotalJustice GitHub
:arrow: DMCA notice for the "sigpatch-updater" repository
:arrow: DMCA notices for Lockpick_RCM, Incognito_RCM and kezplez-nx
:arrow: "sigpatch-updater" backup at Archive.org

thekarter104

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nintendo think they can stop people from modding their systems!!!! they mad!!!!
Yes, if they hire Microsoft security team and make a dev mode to allow homebrew.
Butntjay won't happen.

That's why the Xbox One and Series consoles still not hacked.

As for DMCA, what's next?
John GBA and John GBC for Android?
Paid emulators...

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'm more confused why they took THIS long to even go after all this stuff this hard. It's like the 8th year of the Switch. lol
That makes me think they're just doing what they did with the Wii U and when we think it'll have retrocompatibility, maybe you'll just have a Switch 1 mode therefore they're scared that all the homebrews and hacks available here will be working on their shiny new console

But that's just a wild guess. I'm not even sure how the Wii U had a Wii mode, was it because it had at least some of the hardware ? Idk how they could have that into the Switch 2 but idk

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i just don't know what to say about this... i never hacked any nintendo systems after the 3DS. but still if it pisses off the members of TEMP them i'm the man to gun em down. (if this was EOF i would post a funny GIF to respond with but it's not)

Memfis

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Host on russian servers. Russia have no interest to help "west companies" if they boycott russia. So hosting in russia should be save. (Unfortunately I think the next years, because it's a high price the world (and especially ukraine and the russian normal people) have to pay)

(The only risk is, that russia providers infect downloads with malware.)

Last edited by Memfis,

whitesword7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you nintendo 🙏🙏🙏, these poor people should’ve bought their games from the eshop in the first place, modifying your console have no purpose rather than piracy which is STEALING. you wouldn’t download a car right???

(this is a sarcasm please don’t kill me 😭)

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can most certainly lay this at their feet. The Switch is little more than a tablet with a built-in XBox controller, using hardware only slightly better than the Shield tablet that came out three years before it which is hampered by underclocking to make the battery last longer. Any impediment to running the software on the PC in terms of physical hardware is shut down by having a docked mode.

You still can't get the 3DS/Wii U era experience on a PC, even though the PC can run 3DS and Wii-U titles with emulation. You're not getting the 3D, you're not getting the StreetPasses, you're not playing around on the MiiVerse, you don't have a touch screen controller in your lap, and the whole laundry list of other things.

Having under powered hardware and making up for it with offering an experience is one thing, just having under powered hardware and crossing your fingers and hoping having multiple encrypted keys in the console and the software with an online service keeping track of your user id is enough is an altogether different thing.

If the Switch 2 is a real thing, and just a more powerful Switch, Nintendo is in for a long, hard road.
I own a 3DS XL and the 3D effect just doesn't work well for me so I just have it turned off.

Tried the New 3DS and the result wasn't much better.
Post automatically merged:

Thank you nintendo 🙏🙏🙏, these poor people should’ve bought their games from the eshop in the first place, modifying your console have no purpose rather than piracy which is STEALING. you wouldn’t download a car right???

(this is a sarcasm please don’t kill me 😭)
Nowadays, you can kind of download a car and hack your way into it. So much for convenience and the future.

MayorBryce

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Things Nintendo could be doing
Following through on finishing Pokémon SV, something they promised would happen
Supporting Splatoon 2/3
Supporting Animal Crossing NH
Giving an update on their next system
Adding themes to the Switch
Improving their online
Actually having content for their online that warrants the price
Improving the slow and clunky eShop
Working with their second party studios, like GameFreak, to ensure better quality games

I know Nintendo’s legal team isn’t part of the gaming section but they are on the payroll and have been doing way more than the gaming section of Nintendo
Anyways, you should pirate Nintendo games. Clearly they aren’t using any of that money to improve as a company
I'm gonna go down your list.
1. That's the Pokemon Company, not Nintendo. And they won't fix anything.
2. I mean Splatoon 3 is still getting updates, what more do you want?
3. That's fair.
4. They're not gonna say anything about a new Switch till their ready.
5. Also fair, but too late at this point.
6. Honestly hasn't been too bad for me, but p2p definitely needs to change.
7. Oh yes. Emulators are worthless. The custom icons are nice, but... those should be free anyway.
8. I mean, unless you're browsing stuff, you're usually gonna go for the one game you want and be done. Not great, but it's manageable.
9. It's a Pokemon Company problem, all of Nintendo's other IPs are high quality.

Not that Nintendo shouldn't change but I think some of this is unfair.

Reactions: ChronosNotashi

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I'm gonna go down your list.
1. That's the Pokemon Company, not Nintendo. And they won't fix anything.
2. I mean Splatoon 3 is still getting updates, what more do you want?
3. That's fair.
4. They're not gonna say anything about a new Switch till their ready.
5. Also fair, but too late at this point.
6. Honestly hasn't been too bad for me, but p2p definitely needs to change.
7. Oh yes. Emulators are worthless. The custom icons are nice, but... those should be free anyway.
8. I mean, unless you're browsing stuff, you're usually gonna go for the one game you want and be done. Not great, but it's manageable.
9. It's a Pokemon Company problem, all of Nintendo's other IPs are high quality.

Not that Nintendo shouldn't change but I think some of this is unfair.
1: https://x.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1598151413586173953?s=20
2: actual support that doesn’t feel half ass. Nintendo is still updating it but they sure don’t give it the kind of attention one should expect from Nintendo. Really compare how they treated Splatoon 1 to how they’ve treated 2 and 3. It’s pretty sad.
4: cool, my complaint still stands. Nintendo could be doing a lot more to build up hype for their system. The fact that gaming web sites report DMCAs and legal notices more from Nintendo isn’t helping build hype for their image.
6: their online sucks and it costs money. That’s just sad.
8: the eShop is painful, sometimes I worry that it crashed while using it. I legit don’t understand why it’s so slow
9: Nintendo used to work with their second party companies, GameFreak included. They even sent employees over to help with all of the main series Switch Pokémon games. There’s honestly no excuse to see companies like GameFreak publishing unfinished games when Nintendo was involved in the development of these games.

Finally, the point wasn’t that Nintendo should be doing these things or even that they are responsible for them. It’s that Nintendo could be doing anything to make the community happy but instead they are spending time and resources suing emulators, DMCAing projects, and literally letting their gaming development become less of the focus for their brand

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While sys-patch is also now gone (assuming iTG is playing it safe) I love how it wasn't included in the DMCAs. But sigpatch-updater was?

NyaakoXD

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1: https://x.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1598151413586173953?s=20
2: actual support that doesn’t feel half ass. Nintendo is still updating it but they sure don’t give it the kind of attention one should expect from Nintendo. Really compare how they treated Splatoon 1 to how they’ve treated 2 and 3. It’s pretty sad.
4: cool, my complaint still stands. Nintendo could be doing a lot more to build up hype for their system. The fact that gaming web sites report DMCAs and legal notices more from Nintendo isn’t helping build hype for their image.
6: their online sucks and it costs money. That’s just sad.
8: the eShop is painful, sometimes I worry that it crashed while using it. I legit don’t understand why it’s so slow
9: Nintendo used to work with their second party companies, GameFreak included. They even sent employees over to help with all of the main series Switch Pokémon games. There’s honestly no excuse to see companies like GameFreak publishing unfinished games when Nintendo was involved in the development of these games.

Finally, the point wasn’t that Nintendo should be doing these things or even that they are responsible for them. It’s that Nintendo could be doing anything to make the community happy but instead they are spending time and resources suing emulators, DMCAing projects, and literally letting their gaming development become less of the focus for their brand
1. They can send feedback to GameFreak, yes, but overall the Pokémon IP, merch, franchise, anime, etc. is mostly handled by The Pokémon Company. GameFreak only has so much time and manpower to improve things as fast as possible while also on a tight schedule to start making new games like Pokémon Z-A and the next mainline after Scarlet/Violet. Nintendo is mostly just the publisher for the mainline series of Pokémon games.

9. While they did help out once, but things are completely different today than decades ago. Especially with how big and popular Pokémon is now throughout the world, the Pokémon Company has been prioritizing on making as much money as possible and not give a damn about giving enough time for GameFreak to work on the games as they need to coincide closely with the releases of new merch and the Pokémon anime to maximize as much profit as they can.

Overall, what really needs to change is really on TPC's handling of it all. As long as this keeps happening, GameFreak will continue to suffer from it.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
1. They can send feedback to GameFreak, yes, but overall the Pokémon IP, merch, franchise, anime, etc. is mostly handled by The Pokémon Company. GameFreak only has so much time and manpower to improve things as fast as possible while also on a tight schedule to start making new games like Pokémon Z-A and the next mainline after Scarlet/Violet. Nintendo is mostly just the publisher for the mainline series of Pokémon games.

9. While they did help out once, but things are completely different today than decades ago. Especially with how big and popular Pokémon is now throughout the world, the Pokémon Company has been prioritizing on making as much money as possible and not give a damn about giving enough time for GameFreak to work on the games as they need to coincide closely with the releases of new merch and the Pokémon anime to maximize as much profit as they can.

Overall, what really needs to change is really on TPC's handling of it all. As long as this keeps happening, GameFreak will continue to suffer from it.
I am impressed how much the point of my post was completely missed, so I will quote it

Ligeia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
That's just it. With Miyamoto in such control, he actively ignores franchises he himself doesn't care for, regardless of interest or marketability. It already took a Herculean effort on the part of Nintendo of America to greenlight the Prime 1 remaster, entirely because METROID MAKES MONEY HERE!

How much longer is he also going to ignore f-zero? Or any other franchise that were done better by outside parties? Donkey Kong was blessed by Rare, along with Goldeneye and Perfect Dark. F-Zero got its penultimate masterpiece with Sega. Argonaut and n-space did Star Fox better than Nintendo itself did. And because of that, Miyamoto is being all butthurt because he is pants shitting terrified of his final game being perceived as a flop.

Though given what happened to Gunpey Yokoi after the Virtual Boy, there is good reason to fear Nintendo's wrath.
I have a feeling there would be books to make about Miyamoto's reign in Nintendo...

The Switch is the first Nintendo console since the SNES to not have it's own version of Mario Kart. Think about that one for a little while. Mario Kart.
Why does NO ONE cares about Mario Kart Home Circuit ??!?
:cry:
Just kidding, I actually had to research the same to remember it
:rofl2:

How old is Miyamoto?
🍄
He should retire. Clealry the man is too lost in his own ego

Are we a joke to you, Nintendo? Uh... We kind of are because we allow them to get away with their nonsensical bullshit.

Remember the digital limited edition of Mario 3D All-Stars? Yeah.

Fuck Nintendo.
And let's remember Super Mario All Stars on the Wii, a nicely packaged SNES rom sold at full price... the moment Nintendo jumped the shark for me.

technically Atmosphere doesn't break any circumvention since it's launched after a circumvention exploit.
Doesn't matter, all Nintendo needs to do these days is bully/intimidate people.

Honestly, at this point I don't blame Nintendo anymore considering for the past few years at least (since 2021 with Metroid Dread) people have been releasing big games a week before release on the internet and playing them at that. I'm sure most of the people saying they hate Nintendo and aren't buying anything from them again are the same that never bought anything from them or did the whole playing big game before release thing.

Don't want Nintendo to do this? Don't pirate new releases, simple.
Big releases leaks happened long before the Switch existed, some Wii games got leaked weeks before release.

Last edited by Ligeia,

EmberDoe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
I remember a huge ban wave happened on the 3DS because Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon leaked early and people connected to the internet while playing it :lol:

All this recent shit Nintendo is pulling though is really disappointing, I've always been a huge Nintendo fan but their business practices have just seemed to get more and more heavy handed over the years :/

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo