Hacking Nintendo Switch Compromised: Nintendo's View?

bundat

¿
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The people saying that some studies say piracy doesn't really hurt sales that much, that MAY be true on other systems:
I personally have bought games on systems where I also have "downloaded backups" on, like buying Steam games on my pc while also having some "downloaded backup games/installers", or buying some apps on the iOS App Store and Google Play Store, while also having "downloaded backup ipa's and apk's" etc.

BUT that's only on other systems. NOT on my Switch.
Simply for one reason alone: bans include denying your console's access to eShop
SURE, there may still be workarounds like eXhop or "update download status", but until when will these work?

So regarding OP: "Nintendo Switch Compromised: Nintendo's View?"
- I think their view is pretty twisted (to the point of being authoritarian), considering they actually PREVENT people from spending any more money when they ban them. It's like they're more focused on staying in control, even if they lose potential profit in the process.

But maybe I'm an edge case... how many other people here use "xci/nsp backups", AND would've still bought games on the eShop if there was never a looming threat of denying you eShop access? :unsure:

Ashura66

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
The people saying that some studies say piracy doesn't really hurt sales that much, that MAY be true on other systems:
I personally have bought games on systems where I also have "downloaded backups" on, like buying Steam games on my pc while also having some "downloaded backup games/installers", or buying some apps on the iOS App Store and Google Play Store, while also having "downloaded backup ipa's and apk's" etc.

Simply for one reason alone: bans include denying your console's access to eShop
SURE, there may still be workarounds like eXhop or "update download status", but until when will these work?

So regarding OP: "Nintendo Switch Compromised: Nintendo's View?"
- I think their view is pretty twisted (to the point of being authoritarian), considering they actually PREVENT people from spending any more money when they ban them. It's like they're more focused on staying in control, even if they lose potential profit in the process.

But maybe I'm an edge case... how many other people here use "xci/nsp backups", AND would've still bought games on the eShop if there was never a looming threat of denying you eShop access? :unsure:

Those methods will ALWAYS work. Truth be told, unless you super care about playing online, being banned from the e-shop or even from system updates is NOT A BIG DEAL since there are alternative methods for getting those, methods that work and, AFAWK, will always work. Me personally? Yeah i bought a game or two from the e-shop myself but now that i can run backups? Yeah, not spending any more of my money on E-Shop games since i don't really care about being banned from the e-shop or from online gaming

aykay55

Professional Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Very funny but you know that eventually people will rise up against corporations and Nintendo will be included, don't give me that bs, your nothing but a corporate stooge, soon you will see that all corporations will bow down to people. It is already happening and whether you like it or not, Nintendo will pay, corporations don't have all the control, people do.
I just had to ask this. What the fuck is a stooge?

Ashura66

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I just had to ask this. What the fuck is a stooge?
stooge
stuːdʒ/
noun
  1. 1.
    derogatory
    a subordinate used by another to do unpleasant routine work.
    "party stooges put there to do a job on behalf of central office"
    synonyms: underling, minion, lackey, subordinate, assistant; More

2. 2.
    a performer whose act involves being the butt of a comedian's jokes.
    "the stooge is offstage"
    synonyms: butt, foil, straight man
    "a comedian's stooge"

aykay55

Professional Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
stooge
stuːdʒ/
noun
  1. 1.
    derogatory
    a subordinate used by another to do unpleasant routine work.
    "party stooges put there to do a job on behalf of central office"
    synonyms: underling, minion, lackey, subordinate, assistant; More

2. 2.
    a performer whose act involves being the butt of a comedian's jokes.
    "the stooge is offstage"
    synonyms: butt, foil, straight man
    "a comedian's stooge"

Ashura66

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
u call him a communist just because he said that?
that's too extreme. And yes, companies should and are regulated.. Not all the world has a wild capitalist system

Yeah but they aren't regulated by the common people, that would be anarchy. They are regulated by the GOVERNMENT. That was Yami Anubis ZX's point, that companies should"bow down to the people and be controlled by them". See how unrealistic that sounds?

Absintu

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Yeah but they aren't regulated by the common people, that would be anarchy. They are regulated by the GOVERNMENT. That was Yami Anubis ZX's point, that companies should"bow down to the people and be controlled by them". See how unrealistic that sounds?
fair, i thought he was talking about the gov..

ssmatt

Trophies
XP
Country
They won't say anything, as it'll draw attention to it.

New switches iirc can't be hacked now anyway, so they'll just let it move on and probably attempt to ban all hacked consoles in hope they will buy the new, unhackable ones.

FabioCapela

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
My relationship with Steam is that I completely stopped pirating games that are available on Steam as long as they don't include additional DRM (like Denuvo); if a game I want to play includes Denuvo, though, I will pirate it without any feeling of guilty, as well as refuse to ever purchase it — regardless of how much I like the game or whether I think the devs deserve being paid for my experience — until Denuvo is removed from it.

I do something similar with GOG and other DRM-free stores; if a game is available on those I will never pirate it. I do still pirate games from other DRM-encumbered stores, like Origin or the Microsoft store, though.

I'm in a similar situation. I was always going to hack/crack my Switch, because I don't consider a system I can't hack into worth of owning, but I was planning on purchasing a bunch of first-party Nintendo games: Mario Odyssey, Mario Kart, Breath of the Wild, Smash Bros, Pokemon, and perhaps a couple other games like Splatoon. Between the bans and the need to pay a fee to play online starting next month, though, I gave up on ever owning an original Switch game.

Reactions: bundat

bundat

¿
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
bans include denying your console's access to eShop

Those methods will ALWAYS work.

Really?

Seems to be a ban wave going on, be warned. Also looks like they're upgrading bans from e-shop to full CDN ban.

I'm getting this error 2137-7403 when trying to update my games D: (LEGIT GAMES).

I too was already banned before and I didn't have this message, strange

It seems they are moving from Nintendo Online Services to FULL BAN. They are ridiculous. So basically I cant even update my games now

This is why you shouldn't say a method will ALWAYS work when it can be controlled/disabled from the server-side by Nintendo. Because at that point, it's just hope that they don't go that far... and it seems they are now willing to.

Reactions: V-Temp

V-Temp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Accessing the server REQUIRES a valid and accepted tls-certificate from the console. If this is banned, nothing will work any more, period. Saying something will ALWAYS work means you have no understanding of how said thing works.

The original bans were dauth loss only and allowed a user to still update games and access firmware updates. With Bob's constant attempts to cheat the system going and the use of public certs, this is the result. If they burn every tls-certificate, you can't have a public certificate left to use... at least not for long.

Nintendo's just doing the next logical thing at this point.

Ashura66

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
This is why you shouldn't say a method will ALWAYS work when it can be controlled/disabled from the server-side by Nintendo. Because at that point, it's just hope that they don't go that far... and it seems they are now willing to.

Don't take my posts out of context. The methods i was referring to are the non legit methods of getting game updates and firmware updates. The posts you have quoted are from people who use their OWN PRIVATE CERTS. CDNSP(AKA the method for getting game updates) doesn't, it uses public, donated certs and doesn't even run on the console itself. So as long as those certs keep being donated, the method will keep working.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Accessing the server REQUIRES a valid and accepted tls-certificate from the console. If this is banned, nothing will work any more, period. Saying something will ALWAYS work means you have no understanding of how said thing works.

The original bans were dauth loss only and allowed a user to still update games and access firmware updates. With Bob's constant attempts to cheat the system going and the use of public certs, this is the result. If they burn every tls-certificate, you can't have a public certificate left to use... at least not for long.

Nintendo's just doing the next logical thing at this point.

I know EXACTLY how CDNSP works. And for as much as Nintendo has been banning public certs, mere seconds after one is reported banned, a new unbanned one is made available. So no, there is n danger of that method not working anytime soon

V-Temp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't take my posts out of context. The methods i was referring to are the non legit methods of getting game updates and firmware updates. The posts you have quoted are from people who use their OWN PRIVATE CERTS. CDNSP(AKA the method for getting game updates) doesn't, it uses public, donated certs and doesn't even run on the console itself. So as long as those certs keep being donated, the method will keep working.

The approach to just ban tls-certificates directly, rather than banning dauth first, means that they're also burning potential public certificates. If all eShop improper access directly just results in full tls loss, then there won't be public certs after the purging.

As such CDNSP would also no longer work after it runs out of certs, and further attempts to download NSPs or install NSPs results in automatic loss of the tls-certificate rather than first losing dauth.

Ashura66

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
The approach to just ban tls-certificates directly, rather than banning dauth first, means that they're also burning potential public certificates. If all eShop improper access directly just results in full tls loss, then there won't be public certs after the purging.

As such CDNSP would also no longer work after it runs out of certs, and further attempts to download NSPs or install NSPs results in automatic loss of the tls-certificate rather than first losing dauth.

There is no indication of Nintendo doing that. Of course there is the remote possibility of them doing that in the future but for the time being there is no indication of them taking that route. Maybe, just MAYBE, it's a remote possibility but nothing more than that. For the time being at the very least. Ok so maybe they wont ALWAYS work but by the time they do stop working, people would have already gotten what they wanted

V-Temp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is no indication of Nintendo doing that. Of course there is the remote possibility of them doing that in the future but for the time being there is no indication of them taking that route. Maybe, just MAYBE, it's a remote possibility but nothing more than that

They're doing that right now...?

bundat

¿
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Don't take my posts out of context.

That WAS the context.
You were responding to ME, you quoted ME, and I didn't mention any other "methods" in my post.

The methods i was referring to are the non legit methods of getting game updates and firmware updates.
Except I didn't even mention that AT ALL.
That wasn't even in this conversation.
You're the one who is bringing this brand new context, when I wasn't even talking about that at all.

If you were talking about something completely different, why did you quote me then?
This just seems like a copout, but w/e. Anyone who can read can see the original context anyway.

Reactions: V-Temp

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: After watching, that I feel like I'm on them already +1