Nintendo Switch firmware update 16.0.0 released, Atmosphere update coming soon

saddsad.png

A new update is available! Nintendo has just released a firmware update for the Switch, bringing it to version 16.0.0. The patch notes are pretty sparse, only offering a single specific change, which merely replaces unusable nicknames with "???". There's also some general system stability improvements, which unsurprisingly break support for CFW. SciresM has announced that a compatability update for Atmosphere will be worked on as soon as possible.

Ver. 16.0.0 (Released February 20, 2023)​

• User nicknames that cannot be used will be replaced with “???” which can be updated from the profile settings.
  • General system stability improvements to enhance the user's experience.

:arrow: Source

rcpd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually I don't think they have. All I can guess is they just don't wanna do it because theirs no profit for them. I don't get it... lets say you could sell themes on the Nintendo Coins place (I don't remember the name) or even on the eshop for like a 1$/1€ and you get a little skin of lets say Pikachu.
The whole reason I RCM exploited my Switch was for multiple rows in the Home Screen for games. Homebrew themes allowed that. Other homebrew was nice, but I have all of that on every other console so it wasn’t something I had to have.

Having them purchasable from the eShop would have eliminated any exploits I would think. And anyone who, like myself, exploited their Switch simply for themes would have been content with “a skin”, even if it didn’t allow multiple rows. I would’ve.

But here we are, and here I am now with two exploited Switch consoles. Simply for themes.

CaliousKai

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Still no themes, sad catboy is sad :sad:
Themes would be nice and folders like the 3ds would be better than the bland shit we have now. Hell if modder can do this Nintendo have no excuse just release a folder system like the 3ds had which is also the reason i love the 3ds more than the switch.

Last edited by CaliousKai,
Reactions: jeffyTheHomebrewer

TheSynthax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's cloud streaming CoD.
I don't think there's been any confirmation of that from MS, Activision, or Nintendo, so that's yet to be seen. They didn't even mention the word "Switch" in their announcement, only "Nintendo players" which to me really implies that they either mean "Switch and future consoles" or only those future consoles.

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why do people whine about themes? It most likely won't happen. If it would, it probably would have happened by now.
sadly i agree but i've been using yuzu on steamdeck more to care
Post automatically merged:

It is a pretty big update it seems.

https://yls8.mtheall.com/ninupdates/titlelist.php?date=2023-02-21_00-05-09&sys=hac&gentext=1

New sysmodule: ngc-sysmodule (NGC? Nintendo Gamecube?)
hey i mean we got that sdk emu sloop and just a few weeks ago we got gba/gb/gbc so anythings possible

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So evidently, Nintendo shot down retro's attempts for other Metroid games because they famously misunderstood what a bounty hunter is known to do.

Evidently, Nintendo also famously fail to understand what versioning means in software development.

I also have to question why no expansion on the themes feature. At the least, I would have expected that there might have been some high contrast themes or something similar.

Reactions: jeffyTheHomebrewer

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Damn just read that this update may might be unfixable, they won
Sauce please?

e: As of about an hour ago SciresM stated he’s done with the kernel, taking lunch, and coming back to work on exosphere/fusee. He’s talking about how he takes a day off work to fix things up for all the ingrates. No mention of “unfixable.”

Last edited by binkinator,

slaphappygamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You had me at “enhance users experience”.

Seriously, though, I just need to keep my kids off the switch until atmosphere updates. Lol

Themes would be great for Nintendo. They will make $.99 or $1.99 per theme and $5.99 to $9.99 for premium themes. Nintendo will also give users a “way in” to inject themes in a legit-ish manner.

…..enhance users experience…

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sauce please?

e: As of about an hour ago SciresM stated he’s done with the kernel, taking lunch, and coming back to work on exosphere/fusee. He’s talking about how he takes a day of work to fix things up for all the ingrates. No mention of “unfixable.”
speaking of atmosphere, I got it to build in cmd prompt again, but no luck in just linux. the problem was something was corrupted somehow with pip. I don't know how this happened, but pip was on version 7.something somehow. reinstalling python 2.7 corrected it slightly. it was on 15.something then, then I upgraded it. all went smoothly after that:
1676989750758.png

• Love
Reactions: binkinator

Wolfy

Person That Never Was
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why do people whine about themes? It most likely won't happen. If it would, it probably would have happened by now.

This is probably the reason, which is a compelling argument honestly.
hac-screenshot-systemsettings-themesblack.jpg

They could've just put in a night mode option if they didn't want to tease themes being a possibility.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Xdqwerty, Desktop buddies existed long before Bonzi Buddy. Its quite similar but without the...