Nintendo Switch Online to feature cloud saves and more

20180508_055641.png

Nintendo has revealed new details about its online service. For starters, Nintendo will be introducing cloud backups for saved game data. More details about the save data cloud backups will come before the online service launches in September. Nintendo also announced that 20 NES games will be playable with online play through the service, such as Donkey Kong, Super Mario Bros 3., and the Legend of Zelda. The service will cost $3.99 for 1 month, $7.99 for 3 months, and $19.99 for 12 months. Additionally, Nintendo will also launch a family plan at $34.99 for 12 months. This family plan will allow the holder of the family plan to invite up to seven other people.

:arrow:Source

jefffisher

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i wonder how the family plan is going to work, i have four brothers and a friend who i bought switches for while 2 share the same ip address and would certainly work and a further 2 live in the same city the final two live across the country.
but hopefully it's like netflix and anyone you trust enough to share your password with counts.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i wonder how the family plan is going to work, i have four brothers and a friend who i bought switches for while 2 share the same ip address and would certainly work and a further 2 live in the same city the final two live across the country.
but hopefully it's like netflix and anyone you trust enough to share your password with counts.
Most likely, everyone on the family account would be able to play online multiplayer and also download the games the parent account has to any system the child account has.

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
woah nintendo finally steping up their game, well, like 12 years later.
Yuh, maybe next we'll be able to play FPS games with voice chat that doesn't require plugging your phone in, or perhaps being able to add friends that doesn't require a 432492 digit code.

Reactions: Owenge

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
I was going to ask about the online part in NES games...
how exactly are they going to integrate online play into those 30 year old games??
https://www.nintendo.com/switch/online-service/nes/

With online play added to every classic game, you can compete (or cooperate) online with friends, share your screen, or pass the controller, depending on the game. With the Nintendo Switch Online smartphone app, you can also voice chat during your play sessions.
if it's only sharing the screen or passing the controller to someone, meh... but if it's actually competing ? that'd be great.
now if they would do this for SNES it'd be even more amazing.

still, I think it's pretty great all these new features.

Reactions: Xzi

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I was going to ask about the online part in NES games...
how exactly are they going to integrate online play into those 30 year old games??
https://www.nintendo.com/switch/online-service/nes/

if it's only sharing the screen or passing the controller to someone, meh... but if it's actually competing ? that'd be great.
now if they would do this for SNES it'd be even more amazing.

still, I think it's pretty great all these new features.
SNES has to be coming. Hope we find out more about a potential VC next month. Even at such a small price, the features are disappointing for me. The online system for the NES games would be interesting. Especially if "competing" was broader than going head to head on the same screen.

Last edited by Kioku,

T-hug

Always like this.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
GBAtemp.net
XP
I probably won't sub to this service unless I ever need to backup my saves for whatever reason. I think putting cloud saves behind a paywall when there is currently no other official way to back them up is a really shitty thing to do as well.
I play Switch a lot but barely ever play online and I find way more value with PSPlus.
Nes games having online features is cool but I'd imagine it's mainly leaderboards and I'm over replaying Nes games like 10 years ago.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: