Nintendo takes down Gmod content from Steam's Workshop

header.jpg

Nintendo might just as well be a law firm more than a videogame company at this point in time, since they have yet again issued their now almost trademarked usual DMCA strike, this time against mods in the Steam Workshop for on the most popular Half Life 2 mod, Garry's mod (or Gmod as it's usually referred to).

The news broke out yesterday, on April 24th, as Garry Newman announced that he would be taking down all Nintendo-related items gathered and made throughout almost 20 years since the inception of Garry's Mod back in the mid 2000s from the Workshop due to a DMCA by Nintendo.
This caused speculation online, as it has been known that often some people completely unrelated to Nintendo send false DMCA strikes for projects that might contain Nintendo assets of any kind (with some of those falsely made strikes sent by a person named Aaron Peters), and Newman was made known about it, with a research about the source of the sent-DMCA strike begun shortly after.

However, in a recently made post by Newman himself, he stated that "the takedowns have been verified by Nintendo as legit", so the removal of Nintendo's items from the Workshop will continue as announced in his post from April 24th.

This is yet another instance of a fan project being taken down by Nintendo, and it's unlikely this is gonna end anytime soon given their increasingly aggressive abuse of the DMCA for anything fan-related.

:arrow: Source

HRudyPlayZ

Developer, Gamer and Power User.
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I seriously hope people start to reupload all those addons online, as a big FU to Nintendo.
Seriously, the world would be a better place if they went bankrupt over being as crappy with their fandom as currently.

daddu3

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
At this rate I'm not surprised if around next month we'll see Pokecommunity-site get wiped - and possibly many other Nintendo-fansites getting cold feet and withdrawing their content in fear of getting the DMCA-hammer.

What a time to be a Nintendo-fan this year.

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan

SDA

Wanderin' Jelly Boy
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Yes because as we all know he is the mastermind behind the entire company.
He created Mario, and he seems so proud about it, that no one shall give their appreciation with any fangame or whatever.

Miyamoto?? Are you okay?

He doesn't make Nintendo do all this shit
Well so who do you think is giving orders to Nintendo's legal team to send DMCAs?

Reactions: Kitocco

SDA

Wanderin' Jelly Boy
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The actual CEO, share holder team and the investors?
Miyamoto hasn't been the CEO of Nintendo for decades, he shrugged that position off so he could continue producing and developing games.
Which basically means he doesn't give a damn about all the shit that is going on.

(Sorry for my bad language, I'm just angry)

PotatoStatic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, my main handheld has just become the Steam Deck at this point. I still play my older handhelds and mess around with homebrew on my Switch. But I don't find myself really playing games on it anymore. I'm probably going to continue just getting PC handhelds in the future.

Quore

Racing Games Enjoyer
Trophies
Website
music.youtube.com
XP
Country
Brazil
Which basically means he doesn't give a damn about all the shit that is going on.

(Sorry for my bad language, I'm just angry)
I believe he just doesn't have the power to go against the CEO and every person who controls Nintendo in general, because in the end, he's just an employee (the best one, but still just an employee)

NakedFaerie

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Australia
Thats it, I've had enough of their bullsh!t. I'm NEVER going to buy ANYTHING nintenDONT again. Screw them.
I'll buy that new mig card and get my Switch hacked.
They miss out bigtime. Their loss.
The more you buy from them, the more money have have to do these lawsuits. We stop paying them, they cant sue anyone. easy as that.
So I'm going to do my part and give them no more money.
eat a huge bag of dicks nintenDONT!

Ligeia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
check out all the comments (you won't be able to read them all over 4k!) they are fucking furious. a shitstorm is brewing that's going to crash with their dmcado
Hopefully they'll piss off their fans enough for their recent games to finally be recognized as the lazy mediocre cashgrabs they are.

PotatoStatic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I seriously hope people start to reupload all those addons online, as a big FU to Nintendo.
Seriously, the world would be a better place if they went bankrupt over being as crappy with their fandom as currently.
Technically speaking, GMod doesn't require servers to use workshop content. The servers can still serve their own assets off of their own server. This is only frowned upon because it clutters up your GMod folder and they're slightly harder to remove. A bunch of servers still do this.

Ettino

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I seriously want to kick Shigeru Miyamoto in the face right now.
Are you Mark Wahlberg? Why do you hate Asian people? Who's next on your list? George Takei? Also do you do the hand thing that Italians love to do when they're i-rated?

Please direct your hate mail to:
Nintendo Co., Ltd. (11-1 Hokotate-cho, Kamitoba, Minami-ku, Kyoto 601-8501, Japan

Last edited by Ettino,

HRudyPlayZ

Developer, Gamer and Power User.
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Technically speaking, GMod doesn't require servers to use workshop content. The servers can still serve their own assets off of their own server. This is only frowned upon because it clutters up your GMod folder and they're slightly harder to remove. A bunch of servers still do this.
Yeah i know but someone still needs to archive those addons, that's what i meant

Reactions: PotatoStatic

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • B
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @BakerMan, Fuck sigma, go with sugma.