Nintendo to shut down online play for all 3DS and Wii U games

sdaadsdas.png

It's the end of an era. Or perhaps the second end to an era. Following on the heels of Nintendo's decision to shut down the Nintendo 3DS and Nintendo Wii U eShops and delisting all digital games for both platforms, is the announcement that online play for the two systems will also be discontinued. In April 2024, all online functionalities for all 3DS and Wii U titles will no longer work, including SpotPass. The shutdown of online servers for 3DS and Wii U games will happen just about 10 years to the day that Nintendo took down online play for the Nintendo Wii and DS.

In a FAQ regarding the announcement, Nintendo stated that support for Pokemon Bank will continue for now, though the service, "may also end at some point in the future".

In early April 2024, online play and other functionality that uses online communication will end for Nintendo 3DS* and Wii U software. This also includes online co-operative play, internet rankings, and data distribution.

You can find more information about badges for decorating the Nintendo 3DS HOME Menu using Nintendo Badge Arcade here.

We will announce a specific end date and time at a later date.

Please note that if an event occurs that would make it difficult to continue online services for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U software, we may have to discontinue services earlier than planned.

We sincerely thank players for using the online services of Nintendo 3DS and Wii U software over a long period of time and apologize for any inconvenience.

* This includes software exclusive to New Nintendo 3DS.

:arrow: Source

ScaryHobbit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not surprised online multiplayer for either system is getting shut down.
But what about the web browsers? I had been using the Wii U web browser exploits to dump my disks and eShop games.

Fortunately, I've dumped all of my games already, but I'd like to at least have peace of mind that the browsers could still be used just in case.

DragonMals

6th-7th Gen Retro Gaming Entusiast
Trophies
Country
United States
i remember when the 3ds was the main nintendo console.

man.

I remember when it used to be the console, but in it's early days, I was too young to experience more of the features due to parental controls. This was before the master key exploit was found too so I had no clue on how to bypass it...

DragonMals

Trophies
Country
United States
Man, idk why this one hits harder then the rest.

I believe that these consoles hit harder than the rest is because on how fantastic they were. While the WiiU was not great financially ending up bring a commercial failure, the system still had the old Nintendo charm to it, and even had some staple games that would come to the switch for a Revival or for better rep (Splatoon is a good example of this along with MK8 Deluxe). The 3ds was also similar to the DS in how much games Nintendo created that feature new protagonists and/or characters that are very likeable but would probably be exclusive for that console (or the WiiU). Only (The rabbit from Badge Arcade, Nikki from Swapnote/doodle, and Tempo from HarmoKnight even if it's developed by Game Freak).

The 3ds and the WiiU had all of this and even had it's own social networking service: something that the Switch doesn't have and relies only on Facebook and Twitter for their new services. Miiverse was also unique but also short lived (correct me if I'm wrong), and I'm pretty sure that whole the community may be toxic, there's always some thatve loved the platform to its fullest creating amazing drawings on there and truly supporting their communities. Too bad I wasn't able to experience it at all.....

And last but not least, the 3ds just had more things to do for online. Animal Crossing New Leaf had a whole island feature where you can go meet other people in your country or out of this world doing things together in the i game events. I can imagine that this is one of the easiest ways kids had when exchanging friend codes and having friendships in a game.

Pokémon X and Y it's hard for me to say what they've done cause I never played it, but I assume that from what I know, even those games had such a better time with online features thsn any other game with how you can see other travelers on the bottom screen, sending messages and whatnot, while also having the abollity to use the gts, wonder trade, and the usual trading and battling.

I couldn't find anymore great online games off of the top of my head, but I'll end this last 3 am note off with Kid Icarus Uprising. Probably one of the best unique games I've seen Nintendo make. The voice acting might be annoying to some, but the jokes in that game are constant, the voice acting was phenomial, and it's just... Perfect. For a reboot/sequel of the original Kid Icarus after many years of nothing, it's great that the game came out on theire giving those fans the true love that they've should've gotten. I personally never played it, but I have plans to do the single player campaign someday.

Reactions: NeSchn and James_

James_

aka Underscore_ or 'that Meowstic guy'
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I find it funny how some people are surprised over this even though the online for the DS and Wii were taken down like 8 years after launch lmao. It was inevitable if anything, in fact I was expecting them to cut the cord sooner due to the Switch's massive success.

Still, RIP.

AndorfRequissa

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i say this everytime but this is why i never pay companies for online games. offline is the only way to play because of how the industry treats online games. a online video game is no different than an NFT. it is not permanent and buying them is at your own risk because its a criminal system running the sales of product.

ldeveraux

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i say this everytime but this is why i never pay companies for online games. offline is the only way to play because of how the industry treats online games. a online video game is no different than an NFT. it is not permanent and buying them is at your own risk because its a criminal system running the sales of product.
Hear hear!

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This was expected, for the 3ds atleast, but didn't think they'd do it for the Wii U too.. they couldn't wait to hit that final nail on its coffin, i guess? still very sad to hear nonetheless..
I hope other alternatives will surface soon, or atleast people should find more incentive to work on alternatives for these systems after hearing the news..

DragonMals

Trophies
Country
United States
a online video game is no different than an NFT.

I'm sorry, but can you explain this a bit further? I can say that for games for Xbox and Sony (and all those mobile games), but for anything Nintendo, at least it has some worth.

However, NFTs are just useless jpegs that have the cost of a museum

James_

aka Underscore_ or 'that Meowstic guy'
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
a online video game is no different than an NFT
At least with an online game it still has worth if fans are willing to set up fan servers. An NFT is just completely worthless no matter what.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Att is displaying prices like it's an ingredients list now lol