Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Foxi4=Sony/Microsoft fanboy.
Valwin=Nintendo fanboy.

So please stop the fanboy wars.
You don't need to start a war just show your fanboyism.
uPzGI.jpg

If you are incapable of criticizing a company you support for all the batshit stupid things they do and support whatever dumb ideas they try to pull off without thinking objectively, you're not a real fan. You're just an enabler of stupid. Criticizms gives birth to improvements. Nodding gives neck aches.

Valid arguments that are entirely true and based on facts are not fanboyism. Don't be a self-proclaimed moderator - we have professional ones here. Valwin's wrong about many things - plain and simple. I know I won't convince him - he's a fanboy, completely unpersuadable. I can toy around though to my heart's delight.

You dare accuse me of Fanboyism? You just failed, so hard that I heard the thump even here.
Total Nintendo Hater.
[ ] Not Told
[X] Told
[X] Star Wars The Told Republic

Reactions: 1 person

Valwin

The Neautral Gamer
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@.@ the n64 drop out ? wen did that happen link me NOw must know :O
The console was first released in Japan on June 23, 1996. (...) The North American version of the Nintendo 64 officially launched on September 29, 1996 with 500,000 units sold in the first four months, while the PAL version was released in Europe on March 1, 1997. As of December 31, 2009, the N64 had sold 5.54 million units in Japan, 20.63 million in the Americas, and 6.75 million in other regions, for a total of 32.93 million units.Benimaru Itō, a developer for EarthBound 64 and friend of Shigeru Miyamoto, speculated in 1997 that the N64′s lower popularity in Japan was due to the lack of Role-Playing Games. Because of the cost of Nintendo 64 cartridges, and limited third-party support, the Nintendo 64 caused Nintendo to lose its leading position in its market share. (...) The last game released for the system was Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3 in early 2002. The system lasted aprox. 5 years. The PlayStation's last game was Yetisports WorldTour!, released in April 2005.

This effectively means that the PlayStation was still recieving support 4 years after the GameCube was released, 5 years after the PS2 entered the market.

but were does it say the n64 drop out ???????

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Foxi4, when are you adding a 3DS to that collection? :P
When they release an improved version that doesn't suffer from suicidal screens. I'm also hoping for better battery life and an improved angle of the 3D effect, as the current one "works" for me only half-way down the scale. That, and perhaps an included second analog, as I don't particularily entertain the idea of using a CirclePad Pro, although that's probably a dream never to come true.

Actually, I was contemplating on getting a Gameboy Pocket and the DS Phat just for shits and giggles - I like collecting consoles. The photo only contained Nintendo consoles, and only the ones I had "nearby". I didn't feel the urgent need to go down to the basement, pull out my Famiclone (original NES systems were never available in Poland) and my mega-stack of games.

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
It is Nintendo's trend to always be behind its competitors which are Sony and Microsoft but I still like how Nintendo values gameplay than graphics.So lesson:its not all about graphics.

i think their trends is making consoles that sell via new ways to play
Yeah, right. Like the SNES. Or the Gameboy. Or the N64. Or the Gamecube...

The only "innovative" things they released so-far were the sucky Power Glove and the WiiMote. That, and maybe the analog stick on the N64, but that was somewhat inevitable anyways.

Umm no... I'll write a list.

D-pad
portable games
controller handles
4 face buttons
rumble
shoulder buttons
analog triggers
analog stick
four player multiplayer
portable/console communication
touch control
motion control

plus more, but mostly unsuccessful though.

That's just control options, many of their games have also been innovative in gamplay mechanics.

Donkey Kong - platforming
Punch Out - reflex based puzzle game
Metroid - exploration
Famicom wars - chess like strategy
Super Mario 64 - 3D space platformer with camera controls
DK Jungle Beat - combo based platforming
(correct me if I'm wrong about something)

My point is that there's plenty of innovation within both companies. End of story.

And by the way, who cares if Y sold X times more than Z,
the majority of people are dumb and many buys games based on how cheap or how "casual"/"hardcore" they are.

Remember, there's two types of dumb consumers
people that buys cheap "casual" stuff like Wii fit and people who buys "hardcore" stuff like COD because their friends play it.

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
The problem I find now is, videogame developers have been exhausting resources through their products, and the latest technologies'd carry mainly "gimmicks", as improved controls, touchscreen, internet connectivity, a dedicated OS per console had been developed 10+ years ago.

In other words, a N64, maybe a DreamCast, a PS2, a DS, 3DS maybe would carry a great amount in variety of games, and peripheral based on different gameplay.

See, the gameplay wouldn't be the same under newer hardware (not specs, but physical hardware itself), ie: Trauma Center series, rhythm based games, (rhythm tengoku on DS).

Now all I can expect now:

3D images as 2011 being a technology developed daily, or find a more sophisticated way to get human gesture controls (human body devices, brain readers, etc),

but I doubt we could expect "that much technology innovation" we've been experiencing since '90s to.. what, 2006?

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
At least Nintendo has an excuse this time, as the Wii U will be released long before the next gen XBOX or Playstation. I really was not expecting it to be more advanced either way though.

Requios

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, why does this matter exactly? Even if Nintendo's system will be less powerful, that doesn't mean that there won't be good games for it. And it's been said that the more complex a system's processing and video power is, the greater the time and cost it takes for game development. In this sense, it all balances out. Game companies were, and still are, griping about how difficult it is to develop games for the PS3. And besides, the most unique graphical improvement that Microsoft and Sony can provide it tessellation, which already exists in PC gaming. If people want to wine and complain about graphics, then don't even bother with consoles. You can still get all your CODs and BFs on PC, still play with a 360 controller, have better graphics, have good sounds, etc. The only real difference any of this comes down to is games. Granted I don't have much faith in Nintendo's 3rd party support for the Wii U, either. But Nintendo is still capable of producing their own share of great games. And if they do start losing out to other consoles so horribly that the Wii U becomes the next Dreamcast, well, at least Nintendo can still give us great software in the future and then nobody will have to wine about Nintendo's next system in the future.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

Nice finds! Trust me, there were more 3D platformers then just this one, SM64 wasn't the only one and that was the only point I was trying to make. As far as "Metroidvania" is concerned, I'm pretty sure I've seen that level scheme before somewhere, but I can't quite put my finger on it right now. Nevertheless, I never said Nintendo isn't a creative force in the industry - it is a massive one. It's just that I don't like attributing "all that is good" to Nintendo and "all that is bad" to everybody else because that's blasphemy, and some users here, not necessarily you, do think so.

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country

Nice finds! Trust me, there were more 3D platformers then just this one, SM64 wasn't the only one and that was the only point I was trying to make. As far as "Metroidvania" is concerned, I'm pretty sure I've seen that level scheme before somewhere, but I can't quite put my finger on it right now. Nevertheless, I never said Nintendo isn't a creative force in the industry - it is a massive one. It's just that I don't like attributing "all that is good" to Nintendo and "all that is bad" to everybody else because that's blasphemy, and some users here, not necessarily you, do think so.

Yeah like..
you didn't need to open this, you already know who...
:ninja: !

sorry for being off topic

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gonna kinda go on an off topic tangent here but the Wii U would be nice for Zangeki no Reginleiv.

The game was pretty fun on the Wii but it became laggy as shit when the limbs started flying. A proper port/remake for the Wii U could probably handle the gore and stuff without any framerate issues... Plus a chance at localization would be cool. Also touch screen controls for directional hacking wouldn't be too bad either.

So that's at least one pro on my Wii U list, happy everyone?

Zarcon

.:~Enigmatic Wanderer~:.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Also touch screen controls for directional hacking wouldn't be too bad either.
Different kind of hacking here, but it would be neat for hacking mini games in things like Mass Effect and Deus Ex to show up on the tablet.
Then you could directly interact using the touchscreen while the actual game time could continue flowing.
You'd be able to keep an eye on your surroundings and quickly abort if someone was about to catch you hacking or something.

I'm sure if a game dev puts enough time aside to think of creative uses we'll see some really neat games.
And tech wise, graphics aren't going to get THAT much better.
Limitations force creativity anyway. If I wanted super awesome realism I'd just look out the window.

sjones900

GBAtemp Advanced Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is logic behind why they never go for the best hardware. Remember back when the 360 and PS3 we're new they both had hardware failures at launch what we now refer to as RROD and YLOD. Nintendo used older hardware that had been revised and improved so they had less issues. They make more money by selling cheaper hardware at a price point and on top of that they don't have to hire as many repair workers. So ultimately they win. It's kind of scheme really, but it works and the public just eats it up. How do they know it's gonna be hit they do tests on the public by releasing things to see how the public will accept. The DSi for example was really just a test to see how the public would like DLC on a handheld. It was well received so they went ahead with plans for the 3DS. The Wii in that sense is a test to see how well the public would have accepted motion controls. Obviously it was a success much bigger than they thought it would be. The Wii U will undoubtedly be a success.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is logic behind why they never go for the best hardware. Remember back when the 360 and PS3 we're new they both had hardware failures at launch what we now refer to as RROD and YLOD. Nintendo used older hardware that had been revised and improved so they had less issues. They make more money by selling cheaper hardware at a price point and on top of that they don't have to hire as many repair workers. So ultimately they win. It's kind of scheme really, but it works and the public just eats it up. How do they know it's gonna be hit they do tests on the public by releasing things to see how the public will accept. The DSi for example was really just a test to see how the public would like DLC on a handheld. It was well received so they went ahead with plans for the 3DS. The Wii in that sense is a test to see how well the public would have accepted motion controls. Obviously it was a success much bigger than they thought it would be. The Wii U will undoubtedly be a success.

Just FYI I'm pretty sure the rate for YLoD in PS3s was/is like less than 1%. Like I thought it was .7%. Xbox 360's had much larger RRoD numbers but it's been fixed for a while now, from Jasper original Xbox models and for all Slim models as well I thought. I definitely wouldn't say hardware failure was what kept them out of the market, they just realized for what their target audience was, they didn't need good graphics to appeal to them.

I definitely wouldn't say they "ultimately won". It was a definite trade off, having a cheaper console with lesser graphics. They lost a shit ton of multiplats, excellent multiplats at that. They got some but they were usually downgraded ports that definitely couldn't hold a candle to their HD big brothers. Plus graphics are definitely a selling point of a console. When I buy something new I'd like the graphics to look new, buying a new console and having games look like they did ten years ago is ridiculous when tech exists to make them look so much better. Let's not forget that more power equates to advantages like farther render distances, less lag when shit starts flying, and more objects on screen. Pretty much any modern open world game would only be a shell of itself on last gen tech, not to mention games that are incredibly intensive on the "objects on screen" part like Dead Rising. I'm sure everyone remembers the mockery of Chop Till You Drop.

Yes, their cheaper console won them over in sales but it definitely didn't please fans as much as the Gamecube did. While the Gamecube sold poorly many fans will still argue about how great the library was in general, from first parties to third parties (including multiplats).

funem

Retro Powered..
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just passing....
N64 first true 64bit regardless of its performance, at the time it was cutting edge Zelda and Mario 64 are still held in high regard, hindsight is a wonderful thing
GameCube had the first true wireless controller in the Wavebird
Nintendo Created the platformer with Donkey Kong
First female playable human character was in Metroid I believe
Nintendo invented the rumble pack, Sony released a rumble in their controller afterwards they were not first and it wasn’t a draw. If it was I could come second in a race by hours and still tie for first place.
Nintendo created the playable Avatar concept with Mii's
Z targeting in Zelda has been copied to death on most games now
Nintendo created the D pad used today and have a patent on the design,
Battery saves on games so you don’t have to start from the beginning or key in a stupid codes.
Kart racing with powerups in MarioKart, since then it has been copied by everyone
Zelda and Mario64 proved you could play games properly in three dimensions
Nintendo also has the only IP I have seen stand the test of time and has a huge number of recognisable characters and games to call on
They revolutionised the games controller, all other designs on other consoles have their roots in the ones designed by Nintendo.
I believe though Nintendo sales were less than Microsoft and Sony with their consoles (Pre-Wii) they made more money than the others as Sony and Microsoft sold consoles at a loss and Nintendo always made a profit. Edit, just found this

zYw1A.jpg

Because they are a games company, that is their main focus and drive. That is why there will always be a Nintendo console in my house and no doubt most peoples. I don’t want graphics over gameplay, I don’t want a console that can play everything the others can play, I want variety. Its like saying all TV’s should be 1080p so they all show the same pictures, all DVD players should be Blu-Ray to play the same as all the other players, all phones should be able to play the same content and function the same so others don’t feel left out for buying a different model. I said it before and I will say it again, it’s a flawed argument. Nintendo make a games console that plays games, you want the best of everything in one box, Its not going to happen, even with Sony and Microsoft.

I am not a Nintendo fanboy I own :-

N64, Wii, Gamecube, SNES, Xbox, 360, PS2 GBA, GBA Micro, DS, DSi, DS Lite, Dreamcast, Genesis, 3DS, PSP, Android Phone, Android Tablet and an Ipod

Finally Nintendo have Shigeru Miyamoto, that is all good night

Reactions: 3 people

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: if only it could read dvds then you would just need 1 disc