Non-authorized third party Xbox controllers and accessories soon to be blocked

controllers.png

From November 12th, Microsoft promises to block third party accessories that are not authorized by the company from being used on the Xbox, on an unprecedented anti-competitive move. This restriction includes game controllers.

Some current unauthorized accessory users have been receiving the following warning:

A connected accessory is not authorized. Using unauthorized accessories compromises your gaming experience. For this reason, the unauthorized accessory will be blocked from use on 11/12/2023.

For help returning it, check with the store it came from or contact the manufacturer. To see authorized accessories, go to
www.xbox.com/accessories. (0x82d60002).

Brook Gaming, a manufacturer of third party controller adapters and fight sticks, put out an official statement regarding the upcoming change, and are looking for solutions to keep their products working on Xbox consoles.

A list of authorized accessories can be found on the official Xbox accessory page--most of which are specifically wired gamepads. Going forward, brands will need to have a specific chip and authorization from Microsoft itself to function as an official wireless accessory on Xbox systems.

:arrow: Source

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
a lot of...interesting takes in here.

i'd imagine it's not very legal. it's one thing to be "oh, oooooops, does your third part controller not work? we ain't gotta support nuttin'". but they're full on "we are activately disabling legally created devices because we want you to only buy what we allow". this would seem to be illegal in the US, stifling legal competition unfairly, but I can't find any specific case involving third party video game accessories. Tengen was about the lockout chip, Galoob is probably not relevant enough, same with blockbuster, so maybe they think they can just avoid legal issues? "others have done it before with no issue" isn't a legal argument, btw.

obviously anticonsumer and asanine. same with the "JuSt PlAy On A pC" silliness. that's called a "red herring" logical fallacy. and y'all know windows is microsoft, right? linux support is great, but come on. consoles are cost effective for a lot of people, and you don't have to worry about maintenance/hack/etc. and regardless of your personal choices in life, other people aren't idiots for not living the life you do or not having the money you do. Like, come on. we're all gamers here. let's defend gamer rights, not just run away and hide.

anyway, back on topic, this is one of the dumber decisions I've seen from a gaming company this year. I guess microsoft really wants to win the "who hates their customers the most" competition, despite Nintendo and Sony giving it their best as well. i hear the anti-consumer olympics is going to be super intense next year, and exponentially more intense over the coming years.

Last edited by osaka35,

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So when the hell are the spiteful hackers that jailbroke the ps3 going to get on this?

Haven't had a newer xbox past my 360; only really wanting a series x because of the backwards compatibility. The proprietary storage is already a question of not if, but when, it will be a problem. Stuff like this feels like the kind of thing to demand a spite based jailbreak, yesterday.

Reactions: SeventhSon7

EvilJagaGenius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is a bit of an unrelated note, but I emailed Retro-Bit the other day about their new Saturn controller with the dual analog sticks and one of the questions I asked them was if I could use it on an XBox (moreso my 360 but I wouldn't mind picking up a One/Series for cheap). They said no, but other users had made their controllers work with a Brooks adapter.

So, uh, this sucks.

_v3

Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
So, basically if these never get the aproval of microsoft they're basically e-waste at this point??

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
at least in the case of switch and playstation controllers I could maybe understand the "compromised experience" excuse since some of the features of said systems controllers are kind of hit or miss whether they are present not but in the case of the xbox controller unless you buy something that as a bad layout or is missing buttons or sticks you can't really fuck up an xbox controller because since it's the most basic controller out there...like I needed more reason to stear clear of xbox

SDA

Wanderin' Jelly Boy
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I.. don’t see a link…
A connected accessory is not authorized. Using unauthorized accessories compromises your gaming experience. For this reason, the unauthorized accessory will be blocked from use on 11/12/2023.

For help returning it, check with the store it came from or contact the manufacturer. To see authorized accessories, go to

It was in the first post. Wasn't that hard to notice, honestly.

Jayinem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I jumped off the Xbox wagon in the middle of the Xbox One era, when I got a decent gaming laptop.

But I wonder will this stop devices like Mayflash from working. Also accessories such as steering wheels for racing games.

Reactions: console

Dungeonseeker

Trophies
XP
Country

i'd imagine it's not very legal. it's one thing to be "oh, oooooops, does your third part controller not work? we ain't gotta support nuttin'". but they're full on "we are activately disabling legally created devices because we want you to only buy what we allow". this would seem to be illegal in the US, stifling legal competition unfairly, but I can't find any specific case involving third party video game accessories. Tengen was about the lockout chip, Galoob is probably not relevant enough, same with blockbuster, so maybe they think they can just avoid legal issues? "others have done it before with no issue" isn't a legal argument, btw.

obviously anticonsumer and asanine. same with the "JuSt PlAy On A pC" silliness. that's called a "red herring" logical fallacy. and y'all know windows is microsoft, right? linux support is great, but come on. consoles are cost effective for a lot of people, and you don't have to worry about maintenance/hack/etc. and regardless of your personal choices in life, other people aren't idiots for not living the life you do or not having the money you do. Like, come on. we're all gamers here. let's defend gamer rights, not just run away and hide.

anyway, back on topic, this is one of the dumber decisions I've seen from a gaming company this year. I guess microsoft really wants to win the "who hates their customers the most" competition, despite Nintendo and Sony giving it their best as well. i hear the anti-consumer olympics is going to be super intense next year, and exponentially more intense over the coming years.
I'm not a betting man but I'd wager my left testicle this will end up getting crushed in EU land (and probably Kangaroo land too), there's no way the EU will let this shit fly.

Like it or not, the EU is now a sort of last bastion of defence from major corpos pushing consumers around. Luckily they've been mostly pretty positive so far (other than the stupid cookie warning law they forced onto the world) but its pretty scary that they have so much power over things, if a moron decides to push through, lets say an internet censorship law then its going to be a bad day.

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

From November 12th, Microsoft promises to block third party accessories that are not authorized by the company from being used on the Xbox, on an unprecedented anti-competitive move. This restriction includes game controllers.

Some current unauthorized accessory users have been receiving the following warning:

Brook Gaming, a manufacturer of third party controller adapters and fight sticks, put out an official statement regarding the upcoming change, and are looking for solutions to keep their products working on Xbox consoles.

A list of authorized accessories can be found on the official Xbox accessory page--most of which are specifically wired gamepads. Going forward, brands will need to have a specific chip and authorization from Microsoft itself to function as an official wireless accessory on Xbox systems.

:arrow: Source
Worth noting that most 3rd party controllers have been authorized for years at this point. This seems to be more targeting devices designed for advantage.

Reactions: ChronoTrig

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States

If done right, this is actually smart because of devices like the Cronus Zen and XIM. If anything, they should change from “unauthorized third party” to “conversion devices” or something of that nature.
Post automatically merged:

Apparently this affects Brooks boards, which are some of the most common ones used in fight pads and arcade sticks. Hopefully they overshot by mistake and will add more controllers to the exception list soon, because this seems like a really egregious unforced error otherwise. They'll end up pushing even more potential customers to other platforms.
If that’s the case, then they will need to go back to the drawing board.

Reactions: Xzi

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom

It was in the first post. Wasn't that hard to notice, honestly.
Where’s the URL link? I feel like we are getting no where here… it’s just says “go to.” And then the error code? No?

I was under the impression there was a link to a lot of devices we would look at?

I don’t see a clickable link?

A list of authorized accessories can be found on the official Xbox accessory page--most of which are specifically wired gamepads

Where is the url to that page?

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
So when the hell are the spiteful hackers that jailbroke the ps3 going to get on this?

Haven't had a newer xbox past my 360; only really wanting a series x because of the backwards compatibility. The proprietary storage is already a question of not if, but when, it will be a problem. Stuff like this feels like the kind of thing to demand a spite based jailbreak, yesterday.

IIRC Fail0verflow only targeted the PS3 after Sony removed the feature, so I'd expect them to only have an interest if Dev Mode is removed/ToS enforced (making it useless for presumably most users).

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the actiblizz merger shouldn't be the reason why the FTC went after them this however is a very good reason to sue for blaitant anti consumer practices eh I'll just buy starfield on steam and repair my rgh 360 (already sold my series S (at first regretted it but not today)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Att is displaying prices like it's an ingredients list now lol