Hacking NOOB PARADISE - ask away

Chiramii

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hello folks! I have a launch day Wii that shows no video output when I try to boot directly to the system menu. However, I have installed BootMii as boot2 but both nand backup and nand flashing freezes when I try them. I have tried both backup and flashing with 5 different SD cards (both SD and SDHC) of various brands and sizes but all of them freeze on the exact same block. Anyone experienced this before?

Notrub

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
OK - So I'm used to modding things having modded by Original Xbox, PS2 and rooted 3 phones. So I decided to have a go at my Wii.

Trouble is, it's difficult to know what's current...

So I eventually followed a Youtube video by HighTeckMan: to Install Homebrew and USB Loader which works a treat. Love to post the link, but the site won't let me -

But then I read about NAND emulation, and decided to have a crack - so I partitioned my HD into 2 sections. A FAT 32 Primary Active section, followed by a NTFS Primary section. I formatted the NTFS section in WBFS manager and installed one of my backups. I followed the "Complete Softmod Guide": to create a NAND dump using ModMii, adding a couple of WADs in here, and copied that to the FAT32 section.

What now - very confused by the final screen left by ModMii... do I need to do something else to my Wii? I was hoping I just needed to plug in my HDD with the two partitions and everything would just work??

Also - is WBFS the way to go? I've read somewhere now that it's outdated?
Does SNEEK support WBFS? - Should I persist with the 2 partition approach, or is better to convert the backups to Sneek format using DiscEx?

Sorry - lots of questions - just there appear to have been many different approaches taken over time, and coming late to the party with many resources no longer available, I'm struggling to figure out what the LATEST thinking is.

Notrub

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for that - looks really useful - the Youtube Guide I followed was pretty much the same, but I'll probably reset my Wii and start again to clear out any crap I may have added.

So is SNEEK old-school?

I understood that WBFS files were smaller than the ISO's as they only contained the Game partition - I thought this was a newer method than "scrubbed" ISO's which seem to be something similar?? What's the current best practice for minimising the size of backups?

Notrub

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
OK I'll research NEEK2O thanks!

So if a USB loader doesn't use scrubbed iso's and obv can't handle WBFS images, then am I limited to full size ISO's?

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for that - looks really useful - the Youtube Guide I followed was pretty much the same, but I'll probably reset my Wii and start again to clear out any crap I may have added.

So is SNEEK old-school?

I understood that WBFS files were smaller than the ISO's as they only contained the Game partition - I thought this was a newer method than "scrubbed" ISO's which seem to be something similar?? What's the current best practice for minimising the size of backups?

Resetting the console only clears settings, saved games and installed channels. Just reinstall your HBC with Letterbomb and reinstall your cIOSes. (link)

Notrub

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
OK - I'm a little confused though.

WBFS Is outdated, and in that link GreyWolf it says "NEVER USE WBFS partition, NEVER use WBFS manager"

But it appears that WBFS manager is the superior tool when it comes to compressing backups - the only downside I can see is that you can't read it directly - you have to go via WBFS manager.

So why is it being advised against?

FancyNintendoGamer567

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Notrub I'm talking about WBFS file, for USB backups, not the WBFS file system and managers.
The WBFS File system shouldn't be used, including managers.
THough, programs like WiiBackupManager will convert ISOs to WBFSes when transferring a game to the USB because WBFSes save up on more space than 1:1 ISOs.

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wii Backup Manager works with both WBFS partitions and WBFS files on FAT32 or NTFS.

WBFS Manager doesn't mark deleted games properly then overwrites parts of games that were not deleted. The contents of the WBFS files are the same thing that gets put on the partition version, just in a file. They're both sparse, meaning only the actual data is there. The blank space is removed.

A cIOS reads WBFS as if it was a full disc and just returns a buffer full of zeros if it's an unused area on the disc image.

Last edited by GreyWolf,

Pseudogenesis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm having trouble using an NTFS USB flash drive with both USB Loader GX and CFG USB Loader. I've been using this drive forever, but I formatted it to use with something else, and when I reformatted back it no longer was being recognized by the USB loaders.

CFG USB Loader says "No NTFS1 partition found" or something along those lines and thinks the partition is something called "UNK-ee". GX just hangs on the "initializing USB device" stage indefinitely.

AFAIK both of these programs are on their latest version. I also have d2x, just installed it. Didn't change anything. I've tried reformatting with Windows format, Rufus and Bootice, and none of it works.

I could probably get it to work on FAT32, but I hate having to break files up into less than 4GB and I use this USB for other things. I can post my Wii's sysinfo or take a picture of CFG's error message if it would help.

EDIT: Doesn't work on FAT32 either. Odd. CFG got into the menu and had a picture of the game, but it wouldn't launch. GX just hung on the initializing screen again. I tried formatting with Rufus and the game wouldn't even show up in CFG anymore.

Last edited by Pseudogenesis,

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm having trouble using an NTFS USB flash drive with both USB Loader GX and CFG USB Loader. I've been using this drive forever, but I formatted it to use with something else, and when I reformatted back it no longer was being recognized by the USB loaders.

CFG USB Loader says "No NTFS1 partition found" or something along those lines and thinks the partition is something called "UNK-ee". GX just hangs on the "initializing USB device" stage indefinitely.

AFAIK both of these programs are on their latest version. I also have d2x, just installed it. Didn't change anything. I've tried reformatting with Windows format, Rufus and Bootice, and none of it works.

I could probably get it to work on FAT32, but I hate having to break files up into less than 4GB and I use this USB for other things. I can post my Wii's sysinfo or take a picture of CFG's error message if it would help.

EDIT: Doesn't work on FAT32 either. Odd. CFG got into the menu and had a picture of the game, but it wouldn't launch. GX just hung on the initializing screen again. I tried formatting with Rufus and the game wouldn't even show up in CFG anymore.

Have you tried an actual hard drive? Flash drives don't generally work very well if at all on Wiis.

teelo

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Did anyone ever make something that can mess with GBA save files over the GameCube/GBA link cable? Just simple extract/import is all I want.e: found one

I don't have an SD card reader anymore. Trying to get WiiXplorer going so I can just FTP in instead. Is it even possible to run it from USB? Where/how do I install it?

Last edited by teelo,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    Usually when such a big title leaks the Temp will be the first to report about it (going off of historical reports here, Pokemon SV being the latest one I can recall seeing pop up here)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I still like how a freaking mp3 file hacks webos all that security defeated by text yet again
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    They have simulators for everything nowdays, cray cray. How about a sim that shows you playing the Switch.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's called yuzu
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I want a 120hz 4k tv but crazy how more expensive the 120hz over the 60hz are. Or even more crazy is the price of 8k's.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No real point since movies are 30fps
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Not a big movie buff, more of a gamer tbh. And Series X is 120hz 8k ready, but yea only 120hz 4k games out right now, but thinking of in the future.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mostly why you never see TV manufacturers going post 60hz
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I only watch tv when i goto bed, it puts me to sleep, and I have a nas drive filled w my fav shows so i can watch them in order, commercial free. I usually watch Married w Children, or South Park
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Stremio ruined my need for nas
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I stream from Nas to firestick, one on every tv, and use Kodi. I'm happy w it, plays everything. (I pirate/torrent shows/movies on pc, and put on nas)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Kodi repost are still pretty popular
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What the hell is Kodi reposts? what do you mean, or "Wut?" -xdqwerty
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Google them basically web crawlers to movie sites
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    oh you mean the 3rd party apps on Kodi, yea i know what you mean, yea there are still a few cool ones, in fact watched the new planet of the apes movie other night w wifey thru one, was good pic surprisingly, not a cam
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, only $2.06 and free shipping. Gotta cost more for them to ship than $2.06
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I got my Dad a firestick for Xmas and showed him those 3rd party sites on Kodi, he loves it, all he watches anymore. He said he has got 3 letters from AT&T already about pirating, but he says f them, let them shut my internet off (He wants out of his AT&T contract anyways)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's where stremio comes to play never got a letter about it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just use a VPN, even give him my login and password so can use it also, and he refuses, he's funny.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I had to find and get him an old style flip phone even without text, cause thats what he wanted. No text, no internet, only phone calls. Old, old school.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    @BigOnYa, Lol I bought a new USB card reader thing on AliExpress last month for I think like 87 cents. Free shipping from China... It arrived it works and honestly I don't understand how it was so cheap.
    +1
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @BigOnYa, Lol I bought a new USB card reader thing on AliExpress last month for I think like 87... +1