Hacking NOOB PARADISE - ask away

jakebriggs

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
A perfectly valid option is to just update it the official way and re-mod it from scratch (letterbomb exploit, HBC/BootMii, D2X v8 cios, update any homebrew you already have, install newest Priiloader)

But the Wii is rather modular and there are multiple, all valid, ways to get to the same result (like updating the HBC first to avoid having to reinstall it)

Right, so even the latest firmware is exploitable now then - thanks :)

Yan3

The guy nobody knows
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
A CIOS is a modified official IOS (usually with trucha re-enabled, permission checks disabled, hacked optical drive drivers, ...)
The brand and version of CIOS you install determine those patches (both their selection of, and their implementation); but since they are patches and not fully homebrew IOS replacements, the rest of the code comes from (typically) an official IOS of your choice: and that's what's called the base IOS

Compare to how Nintendo fixed the trucha bug: they first invented IOS37 which fixed it, then in the next update they ported the fix to (almost) every other IOS - just the fix; they didn't simply copy and paste IOS37 over the others, as some of them have significant differences that may have broken software designed for the older ones!

And the same is true for CIOS - your choice of base effectively influences game compatibility

So which is the best for me ? : I want to play pal games on ntsc tv with USB loader gx (I force ntsc at the start) but some games like wii play or a shadows tale have the black screen when I force ntsc but when I don’t the are black and white. Maybe it hash something to do with the cios base ? (Some pal games work when I force ntsc like super paper Mario, maybe it is case by case ?)

Thanks

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I want to play pal games on ntsc tv with USB loader gx (I force ntsc at the start) but some games like wii play or a shadows tale have the black screen when I force ntsc but when I don’t the are black and white. Maybe it hash something to do with the cios base ? (Some pal games work when I force ntsc like super paper Mario, maybe it is case by case ?)
Yes, forcing video modes is not guaranteed to be compatible with everything (after all it's impossible in normal operation) - and since the game works fine without it, the problem is likely not in the CIOS

Black and white generally means indeed the color standard (PAL/NTSC/SECAM) in use is not supported; but RGB and YPbPr ("component") connections are inherently free from color encoding problems (due to not using them at all in the first place)

Reactions: Yan3

jakebriggs

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
A perfectly valid option is to just update it the official way and re-mod it from scratch (letterbomb exploit, HBC/BootMii, D2X v8 cios, update any homebrew you already have, install newest Priiloader)

But the Wii is rather modular and there are multiple, all valid, ways to get to the same result (like updating the HBC first to avoid having to reinstall it)

I did all the steps, updated usbloadergx, let the wii update itself, letterbomb exploit, HBC/BootMii, D2X v8 cios, installed priiloader - still, no dice. Mario Kart just black screens with a DSI exception. Sports Resort just reloads the homebrew channel somehow.

I am gonna try some different dumps, they all used to work so i dunno....

Edit: welp the godfather works, so, maybe its a bung copy or maybe I'll try ext3 or I dunno....

Last edited by jakebriggs,

Yan3

The guy nobody knows
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yes, forcing video modes is not guaranteed to be compatible with everything (after all it's impossible in normal operation) - and since the game works fine without it, the problem is likely not in the CIOS

Black and white generally means indeed the color standard (PAL/NTSC/SECAM) in use is not supported; but RGB and YPbPr ("component") connections are inherently free from color encoding problems (due to not using them at all in the first place)
Thanks dude

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did all the steps, updated usbloadergx, let the wii update itself, letterbomb exploit, HBC/BootMii, D2X v8 cios, installed priiloader - still, no dice. Mario Kart just black screens with a DSI exception. Sports Resort just reloads the homebrew channel somehow.

I am gonna try some different dumps, they all used to work so i dunno....

Edit: welp the godfather works, so, maybe its a bung copy or maybe I'll try ext3 or I dunno....

Did you check your disc images and make sure they're good? Wiimm's ISO Tools is the best way to do it. (use the "wit verify" command) Using a different filesystem does not matter for Wii games. The cIOS doesn't use it when the game is running, only a list of the sectors the game takes up on the HDD.

Last edited by GreyWolf,
Reactions: Yan3

nekholm

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I can't figure out why my Wii won't play Wii games I've backed up myself.

I've installed everything according to the complete softmod guide. USB Loader, GX WiiFlow, and CleanRip are also installed. Homebrew has been installed for years (though I've updated it to 1.1.2), but everything else has been installed recently (like in the last month or so), so they should all be up to date. USB Loader GX freezes when I try to back up a game, CleanRip works. Then I've used Wii Backup Manager to transfer the .wbfs files. The games show up in USB Loader GX and WiiFlow, but when I try to launch them, it just shows a black screen and the Wii freezes.

I downloaded a couple of games to see if they work, and they do work just fine. So what is it about my backups that make them unplayable?

Specs: European PAL Wii, 4.3. Maxtor external HDD, 500 GB, with its own power supply, formatted as FAT32. I have also tried another HDD, no difference there.

Any ideas?

Yan3

The guy nobody knows
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I can't figure out why my Wii won't play Wii games I've backed up myself.

I've installed everything according to the complete softmod guide. USB Loader, GX WiiFlow, and CleanRip are also installed. Homebrew has been installed for years (though I've updated it to 1.1.2), but everything else has been installed recently (like in the last month or so), so they should all be up to date. USB Loader GX freezes when I try to back up a game, CleanRip works. Then I've used Wii Backup Manager to transfer the .wbfs files. The games show up in USB Loader GX and WiiFlow, but when I try to launch them, it just shows a black screen and the Wii freezes.

I downloaded a couple of games to see if they work, and they do work just fine. So what is it about my backups that make them unplayable?

Specs: European PAL Wii, 4.3. Maxtor external HDD, 500 GB, with its own power supply, formatted as FAT32. I have also tried another HDD, no difference there.

Any ideas?
Are your games pal too ?

Which version of cios in slot 249 ?

EDIT: can you play the games normally ? Maybe it is the disc reader.

Last edited by Yan3,

nekholm

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
The games are PAL too, yes, and the discs work fine when I try to play them normally.

cIOS: v10 beta52 d2x-v10-beta52
cIOS base: 56
cIOS slot: 249
cIOS version: 65535

TheMagicMan

A Person
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I messed up the system menu when trying to install a theme and can't seem to find my nand backup. I was wondering if I extracted the nand with a hardmod and somehow install the system menu back to the nand somehow? Is this at all possible?

banjo2

gamer
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I messed up the system menu when trying to install a theme and can't seem to find my nand backup. I was wondering if I extracted the nand with a hardmod and somehow install the system menu back to the nand somehow? Is this at all possible?
You have BootMii, right? If so, you can just go to the Homebrew Channel and re-install the proper system menu using MyMenuify. I believe you can do this by installing the .app file that you used for patching the .mym into a .csm file.

Arunia

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I recently started my Wii up again. It was modded long ago and currently at version 4.1e. I updated HBC to 4.1.0 (not sure if it is currently at 4.1.2 because I updated it through ModMii yesterday (last version of ModMii btw).
Not sure where to go from here.
4.3 will be the final version of the Wii right? And that one is modable. How do I go about updating my Wii to the final version?
Or do I just use that google page with the long update or ModMii from pc so that I have the manual?
I know there are loads of ways to update, but just want to go to the latest version of the Wii and mods.
I am using USB loader GX and want to use Nintendont. Not sure about the rest.

I am a little bit confused about softmodding it again. Some guids say that. And ModMii gave me an option on the pc to upgrade the Wii, but not sure if that was it.
I will probably go with the ModMii one and going to the upgrade/update process.

And now I think that I have posted a lot of gibberish.

My coworker has a Wii which doesn't run optical discs anymore. Not sure if it is the drive, but after I updated mine, I will go check that one and maybe make a post about it.
I don't really know if it is a software or hardware issue. Will ModMii be able to fix faulty ios installs? I have a NAND from my Wii, but I don't think that can be used on their Wii? Or maybe an ios?

Last edited by Arunia,

ca032769

INFOCOM Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently started my Wii up again. It was modded long ago and currently at version 4.1e. I updated HBC to 4.1.0 (not sure if it is currently at 4.1.2 because I updated it through ModMii yesterday (last version of ModMii btw).
Not sure where to go from here.
4.3 will be the final version of the Wii right? And that one is modable. How do I go about updating my Wii to the final version?
Or do I just use that google page with the long update or ModMii from pc so that I have the manual?
I know there are loads of ways to update, but just want to go to the latest version of the Wii and mods.
I am using USB loader GX and want to use Nintendont. Not sure about the rest.

I am a little bit confused about softmodding it again. Some guids say that. And ModMii gave me an option on the pc to upgrade the Wii, but not sure if that was it.
I will probably go with the ModMii one and going to the upgrade/update process.

And now I think that I have posted a lot of gibberish.

My coworker has a Wii which doesn't run optical discs anymore. Not sure if it is the drive, but after I updated mine, I will go check that one and maybe make a post about it.
I don't really know if it is a software or hardware issue. Will ModMii be able to fix faulty ios installs? I have a NAND from my Wii, but I don't think that can be used on their Wii? Or maybe an ios?

Yes use ModMii, it's the best. Just choose the option for "never been modded before" or something like that and it'll put everything right again.

iwannaplaysomewii

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, looking to USBloader DX working. I've installed cIOS and I can launch USBloader but when I launch it it loads up a menu of homebrew. My games does not show up. Anyone have an idea what could be wrong?

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
maybe doofus question but that's why this thread exists, right? So, after softmodding (let's say using Modmii) and enabling 'region free everything', does that just apply to anything on USB and SD, or does it also apply to the disc drive? I have an old Japanese launch Wii with a broken disc drive, got an OEM replacement drive on the way. Just want to make sure that 'region free everything' will get me to full region free function from USB, SD, and the disc drive without hardware mods. (The old broken drive has a wiikey installed, but I don't plan to reinstall unless necessary.) I have another Wii, a US model, that has been modded and I run all games on it from USB and SD. So I know the disc drive isn't needed anymore - I don't even use it on my USA Wii. But I will be giving this (J) one as a gift when the job is done, so even though it'll have a nice USB hdd attached, I don't want to have to explain why the disc drive won't work (or why it won't load US games).

Yan3

The guy nobody knows
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
maybe doofus question but that's why this thread exists, right? So, after softmodding (let's say using Modmii) and enabling 'region free everything', does that just apply to anything on USB and SD, or does it also apply to the disc drive? I have an old Japanese launch Wii with a broken disc drive, got an OEM replacement drive on the way. Just want to make sure that 'region free everything' will get me to full region free function from USB, SD, and the disc drive without hardware mods. (The old broken drive has a wiikey installed, but I don't plan to reinstall unless necessary.) I have another Wii, a US model, that has been modded and I run all games on it from USB and SD. So I know the disc drive isn't needed anymore - I don't even use it on my USA Wii. But I will be giving this (J) one as a gift when the job is done, so even though it'll have a nice USB hdd attached, I don't want to have to explain why the disc drive won't work (or why it won't load US games).
Try the game. And if it doesn’t work use priiloader to region free the game discs.

Gunnar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a Just Dance 4 DLC WAD file but any time I try installing it through MMM, I get the error code -1022. I used the cIOS 236, 249, and 250 on my Wii but neither work. I was wondering if anybody knew how to get this to work on MMM, possibly with a different cIOS?

Last edited by Gunnar,

GerarRv

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Hi, good morning, my Wii got bricked so i ask here, because im kinda loose. I lend my Wii's to a friend a few weeks ago for him to Play some gamecube games using Nintendont via SD Card. He particularly wanted to play Fire Emblem for GCN. He told me he was playing the game just fine but then the console crashed. He then restarted the Wii via hard reset and continue playing via Nintendont, until the console crashed again. By the moment he turned the console on again, it wasn't giving any type of signal, just black screen. So i got my Wii bricked.

My wii had bootmii installed (it booted before the console), and it was updated years ago to 4.3U using Pymp My Wii (i think), with a lot of emulators and stuff. I didn't actually think i used any sort of modification that could damage the console this badly (maybe some wads for some virtual console games that didn't work), but since i didn't was the one who has the console when this happen, im not sure if my friend is lying or not.

So, what can i do here? at this point i need the console to work, doesn't matter if i need to put it as it was brand new, but i need to save my console since i like to play Retrogames very often.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6igvB1yR04A