Hacking NOOB PARADISE - ask away

Molhel

Westworld Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,

I was wondering (I think I was before, but scrolling through my post history it only goes to page 7 so I can't find it) if someone could point me in the right direction to start modding my Wii? I want to be able to play my Gamecube and Wii backups on it for sure, but play some emulators on it too (like N64) if that's even possible, as I'm not sure what's the full capabilities of it. I have no idea what it takes to start but I have very large USB sticks (16gb and 128gb) but if I need larger or smaller for specific reasons or if I need other resources to start the process, okay. I just need a guide that's newb friendly for me.

Anyways, thanks for reading~

Reactions: Yan3

Yan3

The guy nobody knows
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi,

I was wondering (I think I was before, but scrolling through my post history it only goes to page 7 so I can't find it) if someone could point me in the right direction to start modding my Wii? I want to be able to play my Gamecube and Wii backups on it for sure, but play some emulators on it too (like N64) if that's even possible, as I'm not sure what's the full capabilities of it. I have no idea what it takes to start but I have very large USB sticks (16gb and 128gb) but if I need larger or smaller for specific reasons or if I need other resources to start the process, okay. I just need a guide that's newb friendly for me.

Anyways, thanks for reading~
Start by installing hombrew. I used this one :
Install priiloader to not brick your wii.
Get some ios installed with d2x installer to get things to work. Help here : https://gbatemp.net/threads/d2x-and-cios-249-confusion.481871/ or ask cyan, this guy knows everything.
Then grab the latest USB loader gx on the site : https://sourceforge.net/projects/usbloadergx/
Then nintendont : https://github.com/FIX94/Nintendont
For anything else use homebrew browser : http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Homebrew_Browser

Reactions: Molhel

banjo2

gamer
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: Yan3 and Molhel

Molhel

Westworld Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Start by installing hombrew. I used this one :
Install priiloader to not brick your wii.
Get some ios installed with d2x installer to get things to work. Help here : https://gbatemp.net/threads/d2x-and-cios-249-confusion.481871/ or ask cyan, this guy knows everything.
Then grab the latest USB loader gx on the site : https://sourceforge.net/projects/usbloadergx/
Then nintendont : https://github.com/FIX94/Nintendont
For anything else use homebrew browser : http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Homebrew_Browser

Hello,

Thank you for the help Yan3! :)

I watched both videos and looked through the links. I just have a few questions.

1. Is that in the correct order of modding Homebrew > priiloader > d2x > USB Loader GX > Nintendont > Homebrew Browser? Is the browser optional or at least something I can do any time I want to?

2. can we still not use SDHC cards (video guide and comments say not to)? I can't seem to find regular SD cards to buy anymore and the only one I have is a 2GB card, and I don't think it'll be big enough to backup the nand and do the rest of the steps.

I personally would not recommend the Homebrew Browser. It's outdated, glitchy, outdated, old, half-broken, and did I mention outdated?

It'd be best to use http://wiibrew.org for homebrew apps. Wait for the Open Shop Channel to come out if you really want to download apps using your Wii.

How do you use wiibrew.org for homebrew apps? It looks like it wants me to install the browser too. As for the OSC, I'm guessing it is very far off?

banjo2

gamer
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Hello,

Thank you for the help Yan3! :)

I watched both videos and looked through the links. I just have a few questions.

1. Is that in the correct order of modding Homebrew > priiloader > d2x > USB Loader GX > Nintendont > Homebrew Browser? Is the browser optional or at least something I can do any time I want to?

Yeah, that's just about right. And yes, Browser is optional.

2. can we still not use SDHC cards (video guide and comments say not to)? I can't seem to find regular SD cards to buy anymore and the only one I have is a 2GB card, and I don't think it'll be big enough to backup the nand and do the rest of the steps.

SDHC works for most things, but not all. NAND dumps are around 600 MB, but it'd be best to just move the dump keys.bin to a safe location on your PC.

How do you use wiibrew.org for homebrew apps? It looks like it wants me to install the browser too. As for the OSC, I'm guessing it is very far off?

WiiBrew has download links and pages for apps, and you'll need a device that you can download onto.

Well, not *really* far off, but I don't think there's a set release date yet.

Molhel

Westworld Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, that's just about right. And yes, Browser is optional.

Ah, then in that case, I might wait to install the Homebrew Browser until I'm feeling not lazy. I just want to get my emulators up and running so I can play my GC stuff.

SDHC works for most things, but not all. NAND dumps are around 600 MB, but it'd be best to just move the dump keys.bin to a safe location on your PC.

Oh, alright then, I'd rather be "safe" with a "all working" method. So is 2gb big enough then (by moving NAND dumps) or might I trouble you for a link to a bigger SD card? Seems they only sell them in 2gb models now on Amazon.

EDIT

Hmm, seems they don't actually officially go higher than that. Okay. I'll just get a SDHC 8gb like in the guy's video comments. If not, I'll shoot for my 2gb and hope for the best. haha

WiiBrew has download links and pages for apps, and you'll need a device that you can download onto.

Well, not *really* far off, but I don't think there's a set release date yet.

Okay, I'll dig deeper into the site. I saw the Homebrew Browser install guide and just wondered what it was about. I'll also keep an eye out for OSC.

Last edited by Molhel,

AzzidReign

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
EDIT: Got my fix - at the bottom of my post.

Hi! So recently, my daughter has shown an interest in some games (funny enough, she likes the Zombie shooter games like House of the Dead...hopefully not scarring her for life lol) so I decided to dust off my Wii. I don't think I've touched it in about 8 years now judging by the files I have on my SD card and that was right around the time I was finishing up my post grad (yeah...modded it and didn't do anything with it lol). So I modded it roughly 8 years ago and I don't remember a dang thing I did with it. So after searching topics and topics for the last week (still have about 100 tabs open lol), I decided it was time to make a post here to get some help. I've figured out every other issue I had, just need one tiny bit of help now.

Here's my syscheck:
SysCheck HDE v2.4.0 HacksDen Edition by JoostinOnline Double_A R2-D2199 and Nano
...runs on IOS58 (rev 6175).

Region: NTSC-U
System Menu 4.1U (v449)
Priiloader installed
Drive date: 07.14.2008
Homebrew Channel 1.1.0 running on IOS61

Hollywood v0x21
Console ID: [removed]
Console Type: Wii
Shop Channel Country: United States (49)
Boot2 v4
Found 97 titles.
Found 35 IOS on this console. 8 of them are stubs.

IOS3 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS4 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS9 (rev 521): No Patches
IOS10 (rev 768): Stub
IOS11 (rev 256): Stub
IOS12 (rev 12): No Patches
IOS13 (rev 16): No Patches
IOS14 (rev 263): No Patches
IOS15 (rev 266): No Patches
IOS16 (rev 512): Stub
IOS17 (rev 518): No Patches
IOS20 (rev 256): Stub
IOS21 (rev 525): No Patches
IOS22 (rev 780): No Patches
IOS28 (rev 1293): No Patches
IOS30 (rev 2816): Stub
IOS31 (rev 3092): No Patches
IOS33 (rev 2834): No Patches
IOS34 (rev 3091): No Patches
IOS35 (rev 3092): No Patches
IOS36 (rev 3094): Trucha Bug ES Identify NAND Access
IOS37 (rev 3612): No Patches
IOS38 (rev 3610): No Patches
IOS50 (rev 4889): No Patches
IOS51 (rev 4864): Stub
IOS53 (rev 5149): No Patches
IOS55 (rev 5149): No Patches
IOS56 (rev 4890): No Patches
IOS58 (rev 6175): USB 2.0
IOS60 (rev 6174): Trucha Bug
IOS61 (rev 4890): No Patches
IOS236[36] (rev 65535 Info: rev 3351): Trucha Bug ES Identify NAND Access
IOS249[56] (rev 21010 Info: d2x-v10beta52): Trucha Bug NAND Access USB 2.0
IOS250[37] (rev 21010 Info: d2x-v10beta53-alt): Trucha Bug NAND Access USB 2.0
IOS254 (rev 65281): BootMii
BC v5
MIOS v9
Report generated on 09/16/2018.

My issue is Super Smash Bros Brawl. It gets a black screen. I have tried loading it to 249 and 250 with the same results. I had come across a post here (code below to the link since I am not allowed to hyperlink even to gbatemp) that was saying how to set up the IOS's but it looks like it is for the Wii U and didn't know if I should do the same on the Wii or not.
Code:
gbatemp[.]net/threads/usb-loader-gx.149922/page-1259#post-7880398

Do I need to change anything with my current set up? I see I have [56] on 249 and [37] on 250. Does 250 need to be changed to [57]? And do I need to add 251[58] (I saw 58 isn't that good and I haven't seen 251 referenced before)? And if so, do I just go back into the d2x and install over those or do I need to uninstall and then reinstall those? Step by step would be much appreciated if you have time. Thank you!

EDIT:
Thanks to XFlak, I ran ModMii to get all the updated IOS's installed and now SSBB works for me. I think the issue actually came down to IOS250[37] needed to [57] for anyone searching for this.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/guide-t...mpatibility-issues.394397/page-2#post-8283838

Last edited by AzzidReign,

banjo2

gamer
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Oh, alright then, I'd rather be "safe" with a "all working" method. So is 2gb big enough then (by moving NAND dumps) or might I trouble you for a link to a bigger SD card? Seems they only sell them in 2gb models now on Amazon.

EDIT

Hmm, seems they don't actually officially go higher than that. Okay. I'll just get a SDHC 8gb like in the guy's video comments. If not, I'll shoot for my 2gb and hope for the best. haha

After you launch into BootMii, you *can* switch SD cards, as it's installed to the NAND.

Okay, I'll dig deeper into the site. I saw the Homebrew Browser install guide and just wondered what it was about. I'll also keep an eye out for OSC.
Alright.

Yan3

The guy nobody knows
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ah, then in that case, I might wait to install the Homebrew Browser until I'm feeling not lazy. I just want to get my emulators up and running so I can play my GC stuff.

EDIT

For the homebrew browser it is like the App Store of things that you can have with a hacked wii like games emulators media players etc

For the sd card it is all good. Personally I use an micro sdhc 4gb with an adaptator and it is all good. But if you want a lot of games prepare a big hard drive, like at lease 1to for wii + gc

Personally to use wiibrew I search something I want then search the name on the wiibrew site
Example I forgot to change the name of a GameCube iso to game.iso but I don’t want to go back to my pc just for this so on google I search wii file explorer. The most common result is wiixplorer, so I type wiixplorer on the site and I download it

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

EDIT: Got my fix - at the bottom of my post.

Hi! So recently, my daughter has shown an interest in some games (funny enough, she likes the Zombie shooter games like House of the Dead...hopefully not scarring her for life lol) so I decided to dust off my Wii. I don't think I've touched it in about 8 years now judging by the files I have on my SD card and that was right around the time I was finishing up my post grad (yeah...modded it and didn't do anything with it lol). So I modded it roughly 8 years ago and I don't remember a dang thing I did with it. So after searching topics and topics for the last week (still have about 100 tabs open lol), I decided it was time to make a post here to get some help. I've figured out every other issue I had, just need one tiny bit of help now.

Here's my syscheck:
SysCheck HDE v2.4.0 HacksDen Edition by JoostinOnline Double_A R2-D2199 and Nano
...runs on IOS58 (rev 6175).

Region: NTSC-U
System Menu 4.1U (v449)
Priiloader installed
Drive date: 07.14.2008
Homebrew Channel 1.1.0 running on IOS61

Hollywood v0x21
Console ID: [removed]
Console Type: Wii
Shop Channel Country: United States (49)
Boot2 v4
Found 97 titles.
Found 35 IOS on this console. 8 of them are stubs.

IOS3 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS4 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS9 (rev 521): No Patches
IOS10 (rev 768): Stub
IOS11 (rev 256): Stub
IOS12 (rev 12): No Patches
IOS13 (rev 16): No Patches
IOS14 (rev 263): No Patches
IOS15 (rev 266): No Patches
IOS16 (rev 512): Stub
IOS17 (rev 518): No Patches
IOS20 (rev 256): Stub
IOS21 (rev 525): No Patches
IOS22 (rev 780): No Patches
IOS28 (rev 1293): No Patches
IOS30 (rev 2816): Stub
IOS31 (rev 3092): No Patches
IOS33 (rev 2834): No Patches
IOS34 (rev 3091): No Patches
IOS35 (rev 3092): No Patches
IOS36 (rev 3094): Trucha Bug ES Identify NAND Access
IOS37 (rev 3612): No Patches
IOS38 (rev 3610): No Patches
IOS50 (rev 4889): No Patches
IOS51 (rev 4864): Stub
IOS53 (rev 5149): No Patches
IOS55 (rev 5149): No Patches
IOS56 (rev 4890): No Patches
IOS58 (rev 6175): USB 2.0
IOS60 (rev 6174): Trucha Bug
IOS61 (rev 4890): No Patches
IOS236[36] (rev 65535 Info: rev 3351): Trucha Bug ES Identify NAND Access
IOS249[56] (rev 21010 Info: d2x-v10beta52): Trucha Bug NAND Access USB 2.0
IOS250[37] (rev 21010 Info: d2x-v10beta53-alt): Trucha Bug NAND Access USB 2.0
IOS254 (rev 65281): BootMii
BC v5
MIOS v9
Report generated on 09/16/2018.

My issue is Super Smash Bros Brawl. It gets a black screen. I have tried loading it to 249 and 250 with the same results. I had come across a post here (code below to the link since I am not allowed to hyperlink even to gbatemp) that was saying how to set up the IOS's but it looks like it is for the Wii U and didn't know if I should do the same on the Wii or not.
Code:
gbatemp[.]net/threads/usb-loader-gx.149922/page-1259#post-7880398

Do I need to change anything with my current set up? I see I have [56] on 249 and [37] on 250. Does 250 need to be changed to [57]? And do I need to add 251[58] (I saw 58 isn't that good and I haven't seen 251 referenced before)? And if so, do I just go back into the d2x and install over those or do I need to uninstall and then reinstall those? Step by step would be much appreciated if you have time. Thank you!

EDIT:
Thanks to XFlak, I ran ModMii to get all the updated IOS's installed and now SSBB works for me. I think the issue actually came down to IOS250[37] needed to [57] for anyone searching for this.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/guide-t...mpatibility-issues.394397/page-2#post-8283838
First check on the loader options. Try default disc for the video mode if it still is in black and white it means it is a bad iso. Try to find another one. If it is in black and white it means it is not the right region ( maybe you have a ntsc wii and it is a pal game ) if so, try to get a component cable or a wii2hdm.

Reactions: Molhel

Molhel

Westworld Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

AzzidReign

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright then, thanks you guys! :) I'll probably just install it or use the website. Seems pretty easy enough in that regard. I just have one more question, if you do not mind. Is the link on the first page of this thread, second post by cyan, the best place to get the latest version of d2x installer? I'd hate to use an outdated version.
I linked to ModMii above. That's what I used to get the updated d2x IOS's. Got everything up to date for me too (including HBC from 1.1.0 to 1.1.2).

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

wiseman9986

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im updating a Wii a hacked for a friend years ago and want to switch to a 2tb hdd the compatibility list seems outdated what is a good drive to use that I can find now

Yan3

The guy nobody knows
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Im updating a Wii a hacked for a friend years ago and want to switch to a 2tb hdd the compatibility list seems outdated what is a good drive to use that I can find now
I’m sure you can find something on this page : https://forums.afterdawn.com/threads/wii-compatible-usb-hdds.701251/ or
Best Wii External hard drive : WiiHacks - Reddithttps://www.reddit.com › comments › be...
And I don’t think the compatibility list is outdated because there was no new version of anything that could change the list of HDD compatibles so I think it is up to date

Last edited by Yan3,
Reactions: wiseman9986

zolakiller

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi wondered if anyone could help im in the process of redesigning a custom wii menu
i keep facing the same issue where the wii message button is there is a block over my image i think it is a notification letter,
i cant seen to remove it or find a way to change it from a block, if anyone has the answer to this please help thanks!!
Also have many frames can you animate in the menu channel it only seems to do four can i some how add more?
thanks.

Heres an image of what it looks like

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 145

stefanbatorowy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
So, um, can you set regions for games that are out of region, so that they always boot in that other region? Like you can do on Luma on 3DS. You set a region like for example EUR DE on an USA 3DS and you always get the german version of the game when you launch it, right? Is there any way to do something like that on a 4.2E Wii?

Yan3

The guy nobody knows
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So, um, can you set regions for games that are out of region, so that they always boot in that other region? Like you can do on Luma on 3DS. You set a region like for example EUR DE on an USA 3DS and you always get the german version of the game when you launch it, right? Is there any way to do something like that on a 4.2E Wii?
If you are talking about a wii game disc there is no such option. You need to get the game with the language and if there is multiple languages on the disc it chooses the same language as your console.

But if you talk about backup games then yes, you can just download a game with multiple languages and force one or another

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Right, thank you. Sad, there ain't a way for discs but whatever, I still can technically play them, so it's just a minor gripe

Any backup loader should be able to boot them without regard to their region. It obviously won't translate any text, though, and you may end up with video compatibility issues if it's an NTSC title and you're in a PAL region (or vice versa.)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I need shrooms to read his comments