Gaming NSMBU and Nintendo Land News

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Not to mention that NSMB2 is a bit more difficult than the previous iterations. The Rainbow courses are a joke, just to get more coins quickly. The Mushroom, Flower and Star worlds are where it's at. It is definitely not the same old. Plus they added back the raccoon suit.

As for the game being short, yes, it always will be. It will never be as long as a regular Super Mario game. As for no 3D, well, as I said before, it's all they can do with a 2D side-scroller.
Please tell me you're talking about the coin rush mode. Because if you actually find NSMB2 difficult...

Then I sorta pity you.

I said a bit more difficult than previous iterations. The previous iterations weren't difficult either. This one is less less difficult though.
And this contradicts your argument.

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
OK, lets dissect your argument:

VMM said:
No innovation or originality.
Implying that a game needs to be original or innovative to be good. By that logic, Uncharted 3 and God of War 3 sucks.

Have you ever played these games?!
There are tons of innovative and original things, there were significant graphical improvements(even all Uncharteds being released for the same console, different of NSMB2)
They have deep and complex stories, different of all Mario games that start with princess Peach being kidnaped.
You look like a Sony hater who never played those games, but criticize Sony and defends Nintendo at all costs

VMM said:
Repeatitive gameplay.
What?

The middle boss is always Reznor.
The bosses of castles 1-5 and mushroom and flrower worlds are just variations of Bowser Jr.
The last boss and the boss of star world are almost the same,
and are defeated by the same way of every bowser on the previous game and on SMB,
just press the button and you won the game.

VMM said:
Not a single new powerup.
Gold Flower.

This is just a variation of fire-flower,
it's hard to consider it a new power-up.
NSMBW and NSMBU look to have real new power-ups.

VMM said:
No Wii power-ups.
I don't see how that's a bad thing.

Why not put the Wii power-ups in this game.
They were fun, and would bring new elements to the gameplay of the game,
turning it a lot more different than the first NSMB.

VMM said:
Not a single new music.
The World Mushroom/Flower/Star map themes.

But were are the new music in the levels.
Having a new song, for the outide of 3 worlds isn't something impressive.
Normally Mario games are very innovative in graphics and music,
this game isn't it in neither of these categories.

VMM said:
Ugly graphics.
Yeah, no.

It looks like a DS/DSi game, but surely not a 3DS game.
I looks more like a DS game that was ported to 3DS.

Looking to these screenshots it's hard to say they are not the same game

new-super-mario-bros-20060504024950729.jpg

eo7kW.jpg

VMM said:
The secrets are hidden in the same damn predictable places(ghost houses, castles, hidden-blocks in a row of blocks...).
Yeah, they're so predictable. I instantly knew I had to hit that flying block, and then ride it into the sky.

Were are almost every secret level walkways? Ghost Houses and Castles.
The hidden blocks are hidden in the same damn predictable places.
You mentioned the most secret walkway from the game,
that one being different does not change the whole game.

There were three cons you already assumed,
but with all I said it's obvious the game has more cons than pros and is indeed a bad game.

D

Deleted_171835

No it's not.
No innovation or originality.
Repeatitive gameplay.
Not a single new power-up.
No Wii power-ups.
No Yoshi or baby yoshi.
Not a single new music.
Ugly graphics.
3D is non-existent
The secrets are hidden in the same damn predictable places(ghost houses, castles, hidden-blocks in a row of blocks...).
The game is too short

This game feel more of the same,
it looks more like an extension to NSMB DS than a new game of the series.

I'm trully dissapointed with this game,
and do not recommend it for anyone.
Repetitive gameplay? What are you expecting, Mario to turn into a third-person shooter? It's a platformer so of course it's going to play the same.

The Gold Flower is a new power-up.

The lack of Wii power-ups isn't a down-side. It isn't the Wii game.

Lack of Yoshi also isn't a downside. Super Mario Bros. 3 isn't shit because it didn't have Yoshi.

Music was remixed a little with vocals but I agree here.

Ugly graphics is a foolish complaint. The NSMB series is supposed to look like that.

3D exists in the form of depth of field. There are also a few pop-out parts in some levels.

Too short? If you want to fully enjoy it, try getting all the Star Coins or playing multi-player with a friend.

While the game is kind of lazy with few visual improvements, the level design is still really good.

There are tons of innovative and original things, there were significant graphical improvements(even all Uncharteds being released for the same console, different of NSMB2)
They have deep and complex stories, different of all Mario games that start with princess Peach being kidnaped.
You look like a Sony hater who never played those games, but criticize Sony and defends Nintendo at all costs
Deep complex stories is a ridiculous argument. It's a goddamn Mario platformer, not an epic thriller.

new-super-mario-bros-20060504024950729.jpg

eo7kW.jpg
Looking at the screenshots, it's clear that they are different games. Re-done models, sprites not used for certain things and more. It's not a major jump by any means but it's noticeable.

You seem to want a game that looks like Super Mario 3D Land but that isn't 2D Mario. It doesn't fit with the game.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't say too much since I haven't played it, but this game theme is about coin collecting. How isn't that
theme giving at least originality vs the other NSMB?

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I said a bit more difficult than previous iterations. The previous iterations weren't difficult either. This one is less less difficult though.
And this contradicts your argument.
No it doesn't. read what he said again, he said "less LESS difficult." But poorly worded, I agree. :P

Reactions: 1 person

DonnyKD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
VMM said:

Of course, if I don't call Uncharted 3 or God of War 3 original (they aren't, but it doesn't make them or their stories bad), I'm a Sony hater and blah, blah, blah.

VMM said:
The middle boss is always Reznor.
The bosses of castles 1-5 and mushroom and flrower worlds are just variations of Bowser Jr.
The last boss and the boss of star world are almost the same,
and are defeated by the same way of every bowser on the previous game and on SMB,
just press the button and you won the game.

Apparently, bosses are gameplay. A-doy!

VMM said:
This is just a variation of fire-flower

That turns bricks into gold. Its a new damn powerup.

VMM said:
But were are the new music in the levels.

Quit moving the goddamn goalposts. Is this about music in the GAME, or music in specific places?

VMM said:

Its hard for blind people to say anything about how something looks.

VMM said:
Were are almost every secret level walkways? Ghost Houses and Castles.

And normal levels, and secret levels.

VMM said:
The hidden blocks are hidden in the same damn predictable places.

Which is why people like how clever the secrets are, of course!

VMM said:
You mentioned the most secret walkway from the game,
that one being different does not change the whole game.

"The secrets suck and are easy to find!"

"This secret and a couple of other ar--"

"THAT DOESN'T COUNT"

Again. Only two REAL cons, and eight other things you try to PRETEND are cons.

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Repetitive gameplay? What are you expecting, Mario to turn into a third-person shooter? It's a platformer so of course it's going to play the same.

No, I'm expecting new level styles, a lot of different bosses with different mehcanics.
Having Reznor in every middle-castle and bowser variations in every single final-castle, doesn't help in anything.

The Gold Flower is a new power-up.

This is just a variation of fire-flower, not a new power-up

The lack of Wii power-ups isn't a down-side. It isn't the Wii game.

So it have to be a Wii game to have Wii power-ups?
I fail to see your logic here

Lack of Yoshi also isn't a downside. Super Mario Bros. 3 isn't shit because it didn't have Yoshi.

SMB3 didn't have yoshi because Yoshi first appearence in a Mario game was in SMW.
Your argument is invalid.
There is no reason to not put Yoshi in NSMB,
except for lazyness of Nintendo,
which is the exact case.

Ugly graphics is a foolish complaint. The NSMB series is supposed to look like that.

NSMBU graphics are a lot different than NSMBW graphics.
I expected a similar graphical evolution on NSMB-NSMB2 to NSMBW-NSMBU

3D exists in the form of depth of field. There are also a few pop-out parts in some levels.

It just applies a blur effect on the background, this isn't even 3D.

Too short? If you want to fully enjoy it, try getting all the Star Coins or playing multi-player with a friend.

I got all the star-coins and still find this too short.

While the game is kind of lazy with few visual improvements, the level design is still really good.

See, that's what I'm talking about

Deep complex stories is a ridiculous argument. It's a goddamn Mario platformer, not an epic thriller.

I'm not saying Mario games should have a deep story,
I'm saying that God of War and Uncharted have deep stories different from each game and they are positive points to the game.

Looking at the screenshots, it's clear that they are different games. Re-done models, sprites not used for certain things and more. It's not a major jump by any means but it's noticeable.

Major jump kkkkkk
Are you kidding me?
This is a close to none jump,
try comparing MKDS with MK7 to see a major jump

You seem to want a game that looks like Super Mario 3D Land but that isn't 2D Mario. It doesn't fit with the game.

I showed 2D screenshots of SM3DL to show what 3DS is capable of doing in a 2D Mario game.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Major jump kkkkkk
Are you kidding me?
Someone needs to get their eyes tested or make sure they'er looking at the Wii U game and not the Wii game. While nothing major, the art style is very noticeable and for once in this series they have got the actual character models just right.

As for comments about this being a "lazy" title from Nintendo, you're talking out of your arse. NSMB2 is lazy, this game isn't. From the more recent gameplay videos it is vvery clear that the levels are painstakingly made by professionals, they've bothered with new modes that actually change the way you play and the additional power-ups as well as the baby Yoshi gameplay make a difference to gameplay unlike being put in there for the sake of being in there.

Also Yoshi is in the game, but that doesn't mean he NEEDS to be in there. Unlike a lot of developers/publishers what I like about Nintendo is that they don't clusterfuck their games too much just so they can fit in everything people want. The directors and designers of their main titles have a little thing called "artistic integrity", so they put in what they feel works. Does it always work out? Not always no, but I rather they did that then just overload a title just to cave in to fanboys.

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Major jump kkkkkk
Are you kidding me?
Someone needs to get their eyes tested or make sure they'er looking at the Wii U game and not the Wii game. While nothing major, the art style is very noticeable and for once in this series they have got the actual character models just right.

As for comments about this being a "lazy" title from Nintendo, you're talking out of your arse. NSMB2 is lazy, this game isn't. From the more recent gameplay videos it is vvery clear that the levels are painstakingly made by professionals, they've bothered with new modes that actually change the way you play and the additional power-ups as well as the baby Yoshi gameplay make a difference to gameplay unlike being put in there for the sake of being in there.

Also Yoshi is in the game, but that doesn't mean he NEEDS to be in there. Unlike a lot of developers/publishers what I like about Nintendo is that they don't clusterfuck their games too much just so they can fit in everything people want. The directors and designers of their main titles have a little thing called "artistic integrity", so they put in what they feel works. Does it always work out? Not always no, but I rather they did that then just overload a title just to cave in to fanboys.

Man, I was talking about NSMB2 not NSMBU.
For me the NSMBU looks amazing, and I wish that game was ported to 3DS(if possible)

Hadrian

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Major jump kkkkkk
Are you kidding me?

Man, I was talking about NSMB2 not NSMBU.
For me the NSMBU looks amazing, and I wish that game was ported to 3DS(if possible)
Sorry, I'm a little drunk. :P

It's a shame that they're only doing one game per console because NSMB2 was pretty mediocre.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Sorry, I'm a little drunk. :P

It's a shame that they're only doing one game per console because NSMB2 was pretty mediocre.
Well, there hadn't been two 3DS mario's on a console before Galaxy and Galaxy 2 and we're not that far in the 3DS's lifecycle yet, so it's not impossible.

Hadrian

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, there hadn't been two 3DS mario's on a console before Galaxy and Galaxy 2 and we're not that far in the 3DS's lifecycle yet, so it's not impossible.
I mean the "New" series. Nintendo has stated that like Smash Bros & Mario Kart, there will only be one game per platform.

No doubt they'll do another 3D Land title, though I hope they put more thought into it than the first one. Fantastic use of 3D but it was mostly uninteresting, the first proper Mario title that I don't care about playing again. 3DS isn't doing too well on the platforming Mario titles for me, they should take their time with whatever they do next.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I mean the "New" series. Nintendo has stated that like Smash Bros & Mario Kart, there will only be one game per platform.

No doubt they'll do another 3D Land title, though I hope they put more thought into it than the first one. Fantastic use of 3D but it was mostly uninteresting, the first proper Mario title that I don't care about playing again. 3DS isn't doing too well on the platforming Mario titles for me, they should take their time with whatever they do next.
Ah, I didn't know they actually stated there'd be only one per platform. I would very much like to see a second 3D Mario on the 3DS as well. I never actually played 3D Land, but I heard it was pretty good.

D

Deleted_171835

The levels in New Super Mario Bros. 2 are really good and unique. Just because the art-style is similar doesn't mean the level-design sucks.

And clearly you don't know much about Mario as Koopalings are not Bowser variations. If you're going to bitch about Koopalings here, then why isn't it a problem in Super Mario Bros. 3 or New Super Mario Bros. Wii?

I'm not arguing about the game not looking different, I agree that the art-style should have changed more (like NSMBU). It's just that you want the game to look like Super Mario 3D Land and that isn't what the designers are trying to achieve. That's a 3D Mario game, this is a 2D Mario game. The Wii U is much more powerful than the 3DS yet New Super Mario Bros. U doesn't look anything like Super Mario 3D Land. The game not looking like Super Mario 3D Land isn't lazy, it's just the designer's vision of how the game should look.

And I never said it was a major jump. If you read what I was saying, I said that it isn't a major jump but there are changes such as models replacing some sprites and other things (so it isn't like a DS game).

@[member='Hadrian']
Super Mario 3D Land really is a love-hate thing. Most people have praised it like it's the best thing since sliced cheese but others have just found it mediocre.

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
@VMM I agree with about half your points, but seriously, just stop it. Sheesh. You turn every Mario thread into an anti-NSMB rant lately. Plus, it's obvious that you're going to criticize every point of the game possible, even if it's obvious that you're wrong.

No, the gold flower is NOT a copy of the fire flower, same as how the mega and micro mushrooms aren't just copies of the super mushroom. Lack of Yoshi isn't a downside, just another excluded "powerup." Just like how NSMBU doesn't have the racoon suit, and not a single Mario game since SMW has had the cape feather. As long as they put a good amount of powerups in otherwise (like SM3DL didn't), there's really no problem.

But regardless, we get the point you're trying to make. That's enough.
/soapbox

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
@VMM I agree with about half your points, but seriously, just stop it. Sheesh. You turn every Mario thread into an anti-NSMB rant lately. Plus, it's obvious that you're going to criticize every point of the game possible, even if it's obvious that you're wrong.

No, the gold flower is NOT a copy of the fire flower, same as how the mega and micro mushrooms aren't just copies of the super mushroom. Lack of Yoshi isn't a downside, just another excluded "powerup." Just like how NSMBU doesn't have the racoon suit, and not a single Mario game since SMW has had the cape feather. As long as they put a good amount of powerups in otherwise (like SM3DL didn't), there's really no problem.

But regardless, we get the point you're trying to make. That's enough.
/soapbox

If you see my previous posts I avoided doing that,
but when I was asked why I tought NSMB2 was such a bad game,
I said all the things I said a thoushand times.
I don't understand why you're so pissed off about this.

But about mini-mushroom and mega-mushroom;
mini-mushroom gives the ability to go on tiny spaces only able with it,
and gives the ability to walk on water.
mega-mushroom is just a destructive power.
They have a lot of difference to normal mushroom

But about golden-fire-flower;
fire-flower throws a fireball,
golden fire-flower throws golden fire balls.
This is too similar to be denied as a variation,
even more considering the similarities.

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I don't understand why you're so pissed off about this.
I'm not. It's just getting old.
But about mini-mushroom and mega-mushroom;
mini-mushroom gives the ability to go on tiny spaces only able with it,
and gives the ability to walk on water.
mega-mushroom is just a destructive power.
They have a lot of difference to normal mushroom

But about golden-fire-flower;
fire-flower throws a fireball,
golden fire-flower throws golden fire balls.
This is too similar to be denied as a variation,
even more considering the similarities.
Um, all flowers let you throw some sort of projectile. And all Mushrooms change your size somehow. There's really no difference. both are just as similar to their respective flowers/shrooms. In fact, I'm sure they do that on purpose, that way you always know a mushroom changes your size somehow, and a flower lets you throw some sort of projectile. It's a nice consistency, IMO. And that's all I'll say about that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGClRsx0x64