• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Oklahoma Republican proposes that any provider who provides gender affirming care to 26 year olds or younger is a felony

Status
Not open for further replies.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It not even longer that excuse to "protect the children from themselves, it's just a phase", what's the excuse for adults now aside religious fanaticism?
I know it is another Nothereed troll post but 25 is about the time a lot of formation of various things in developmental psychology (there is a reason special forces won't recruit you before then, driving fatalities drop like a stone and all manner of other marks of maturity that correspond to perks in society or at least massive reductions in insurance).
How it plays in matters of transgenderism I am not sure, or indeed if it has even been studied that much (the stuff for kids is up in the air and this is way out into the unknown in either direction, though rates for 25+ are probably on the low end).
There is probably also the element of insurance at play if 25 is the cut off for kids to be on the insurance of their parents.

Deleted member 586536

Returned shipping and mailing
OP
Trophies
XP
know it is another Nothereed troll post but 25 is about the time
Going to cut you off. All up to that point they have a substantially higher chance of suicide, which said gender affirming care, substantially brings down the odds. This is specifically targeting them, this is hate.
You wouldn't delay depression medication who is suffering suicidal ideation would you?
How it plays in matters of transgenderism I am not sure, or indeed if it has even been studied that much
https://www.columbiapsychiatry.org/news/gender-affirming-care-saves-lives

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamanetworkopen/fullarticle/2789423
In this prospective cohort of 104 TNB youths aged 13 to 20 years, receipt of gender-affirming care, including puberty blockers and gender-affirming hormones, was associated with 60% lower odds of moderate or severe depression and 73% lower odds of suicidality over a 12-month follow-up.

https://whatweknow.inequality.cornell.edu/topics/lgbt-equality/ what-does-the-scholarly-research-say-about-the-well-being-of-transgender-people /

Transgender individuals, particularly those who cannot access treatment for gender dysphoria or who encounter unsupportive social environments, are more likely than the general population to experience health challenges such as depression, anxiety, suicidality and minority stress. While gender transition can mitigate these challenges, the health and well-being of transgender people can be harmed by stigmatizing and discriminatory treatment.
We have studies on this and consensus on it, go act ingorant on the subject elsewhere.

Last edited by Deleted member 586536,

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
This isn’t about children, it’s just a hatred of trans people and no amount of mental gymnastics can change that fact. Conservatives are just hateful people who hate when other people have freedom, that’s how it has always been.

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if OK AL TX and SC want to suceed from our union let them most hateful states in the nation go, good riddence,also a vast majority of conservitives polled disagree with the people in charge R v W some a pro trans it is only the people in power and those religious wackjobs that hate LGBTQ (don't quote me on that though i read somewhere a vast majority of republicans (middle class) disagree on those issues that the higher ups hate

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Going to cut you off. All up to that point they have a substantially higher chance of suicide, which said gender affirming care, substantially brings down the odds. This is specifically targeting them, this is hate.
You wouldn't delay depression medication who is suffering suicidal ideation would you?

https://www.columbiapsychiatry.org/news/gender-affirming-care-saves-lives

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamanetworkopen/fullarticle/2789423

https://whatweknow.inequality.cornell.edu/topics/lgbt-equality/ what-does-the-scholarly-research-say-about-the-well-being-of-transgender-people /

We have studies on this and consensus on it, go act ingorant on the subject elsewhere.
Everything I saw was way less settled, and diagnosis rates also very questionable (rates that initially engage vs rates that ultimately do anything, and rates of detransitioning later if first do no harm is in play). For genuine cases I can well believe access to care being blocked by whatever would make things troubling, the question is usually on figuring out who needs it and who is something else as not all things are eminently reversible. You are also trying to twist my reasoning, though again you seem to have a nice agenda in all the posts around here (half the population is evil, world is terrifyingly awful despite all evidence to the contrary) and are possibly misreading me as well (I dare say we would align on many things but you seem to enjoy raging).

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Everything I saw was way less settled, and diagnosis rates also very questionable (rates that initially engage vs rates that ultimately do anything, and rates of detransitioning later if first do no harm is in play). For genuine cases I can well believe access to care being blocked by whatever would make things troubling, the question is usually on figuring out who needs it and who is something else as not all things are eminently reversible. You are also trying to twist my reasoning, though again you seem to have a nice agenda in all the posts around here (half the population is evil, world is terrifyingly awful despite all evidence to the contrary) and are possibly misreading me as well (I dare say we would align on many things but you seem to enjoy raging).
People claim it's settled science but we are BY FAR in uncharted territory and we aren't practicing evidence based medicine when it comes to sexual transition / hormone therapy

Wolfy

Person That Never Was
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As much as I want to support people, it makes sense to not let those who are below a certain age do irreversible damage to their bodies. Everyone is entitled to their reasonings, but when its someone who may be going through a hard time and it seems like the only way, at least anyone up until 18 is usually confined to staying with their families, which can be very hard at times, but not the reason to alter your body in ways like transitioning. 26? Nah, you're probably mentally stable to make such a decision, but nothing before 18 I'd say.

Reactions: TheCasketMan

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It not even longer that excuse to "protect the children from themselves, it's just a phase", what's the excuse for adults now aside religious fanaticism?
Based on the number chosen, and this is pure speculation on my part, I’d wager it has to do with brain development. The prefrontal cortex develops and matures until the age of 25, give or take. With that in mind, the logical conclusion is that at the age of 26 you’re dealing with someone who has a fully developed brain. Personally I think it’s a huge stretch, I’m against any age gate that goes beyond 18 - if someone’s old enough to go to war, they’re old enough to drink, smoke and make decisions regarding their own health. If we’re pushing things well beyond the age we consider as “adult”, the distinction between “adult” and “child” loses all meaning. Either someone’s an adult or they’re not. “Adult Lite” isn’t a thing.

Edit: First thing that popped up on Google tracks, so I’ll go with that - prefrontal cortex and limbic system.

The maturation of the adolescent brain is also influenced by heredity, environment, and sex hormones (estrogen, progesterone, and testosterone), which play a crucial role in myelination. Furthermore, glutamatergic neurotransmission predominates, whereas gamma-aminobutyric acid neurotransmission remains under construction, and this might be responsible for immature and impulsive behavior and neurobehavioral excitement during adolescent life. The adolescent population is highly vulnerable to driving under the influence of alcohol and social maladjustments due to an immature limbic system and prefrontal cortex. Synaptic plasticity and the release of neurotransmitters may also be influenced by environmental neurotoxins and drugs of abuse including cigarettes, caffeine, and alcohol during adolescence. Adolescents may become involved with offensive crimes, irresponsible behavior, unprotected sex, juvenile courts, or even prison.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3621648/

DCarnage

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Years ago, I lived in California and tried to get snipped when I was 20 years old, I had two children but nooo, no doctor would snip me until I was 24. I tried again at 24 and nobody would snip me.. Had another child later on, wouldn't trade her for the world but.. wasn't supposed to have another one. Oh wait, are we talking about gender reassignment? Pfft, 18 plus, who gives af? It's their choice, let them live their lives.

RetroGen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's extremely doubtful that this anti-transgender bill is the result of anything scientific, such that any correlates in the literature are probably spurious cherry-picking at best. Rather, it is punitive legislation which is more likely motivated by religious and political ideology and the denial of scientific facts, as most such views generally are.

Something to bear in mind is that there is a limited time window for developing secondary sexual characteristics. Barring transgender people from receiving gender affirming care until well into adulthood all but guarantees that their bodies will develop with the wrong secondary sexual characteristics, callously ensuring permanent gender dysphoria and all of the psychological issues that come with it. Suffice to say, I accept the reality that transgender people exist and require timely, scientifically-informed, medical care. Ideologically driven denial of this has no place in modern governance.

Reactions: IncredulousP

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It's extremely doubtful that this anti-transgender bill is the result of anything scientific, such that any correlates in the literature are probably spurious cherry-picking at best. Rather, it is punitive legislation which is more likely motivated by religious and political ideology and the denial of scientific facts, as most such views generally are.

Something to bear in mind is that there is a limited time window for developing secondary sexual characteristics. Barring transgender people from receiving gender affirming care until well into adulthood all but guarantees that their bodies will develop with the wrong secondary sexual characteristics, callously ensuring permanent gender dysphoria and all of the psychological issues that come with it. Suffice to say, I accept the reality that transgender people exist and require timely, scientifically-informed, medical care. Ideologically driven denial of this has no place in modern governance.
I don’t know if it’s black and white like that. Gender identity starts properly developing between the ages of 10 and 13, even children who perceive themselves as the opposite gender have a very high likelihood of desisting - in fact, the majority does end up being comfortable with their natal gender. It can only be considered permanent after puberty, and even that’s not a given. Brain development is strongly influenced by sex-specific hormones and interrupting that development leaves a lot of question marks, to say the least. That being said, once someone reaches adulthood, which in most countries is considered 18, I don’t see a reason why a patient couldn’t make an educated decision on the subject. As far as secondary sexual characteristics are concerned, they’re a purely cosmetic issue. I would err on the side of caution in this instance.

Reactions: Minox
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/fRENPoVaZHk?si=0xgCyaSVzuc5GD5F