Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
They are clearly not listening to their customers because if they did then they wouldn't be making odd decisions like rental 'free' games and voice-chat via a smartphone.
I'm almost 100% sure you'll be able to voice chat through Switch's 3.5mm too, but probably only with friends. It's by no means a dumb move to tie certain services to a smartphone, everyone carries one anyway. It offloads processing power, allows for additional features such as hot-spotting for online play away from home, and will probably be able to tie-in to Nintendo's mobile IPs like Mario Run and Pokemon Duels as well. Not to mention that specifically is what allows Nintendo to offer cheaper online services relative to their competitors.

It's not like they're just shoving this down our throats, either, we'll have like a 5-6 month trial period (maybe 3 months with the app) before deciding whether or not to keep. ~$2 a month to play SSB, MK8, Fast RMX, and ARMS online? As well as beat one SNES/NES game a month? That's a good deal to me. Maybe not to everybody. I definitely drink more than $2 a day in various liquids.

Last edited by Xzi,
Reactions: TotalInsanity4

specht

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Personally, I think undercutting the competition by this amount could make up for the "free" games only lasting a month if they offer a discount on the $5 price to own that game. You'd be paying $2 a month for online and the extra $2 or $3 only if you choose to own the game. You're still free to cancel your subscription without losing access to the discounted games you paid for. PSPlus gives you multiple games across their consoles but they're contingent on the subscription. I have nearly 1TB of games on my PS3 and PS4 currently inaccessible because I can't be bothered to use my PSPlus card I bought before the price change until something is worth using it on. Though I'm considering it for LittleBigPlanet 3.

foob

Trophies
XP
Country
Assuming any of this is true, this could also be interpreted this way:
* you will be our paying beta testers. We are years behind the competition and you will help us make it good
* we will raise prices once we make our online service 'good' after the first year
* we reserve the right to charge differently in different regions, so this price may be meaningless in your country, especially with exchange rates and simply 'charging what the market will accept' being what they are
* we desperately need the Switch to be accepted, so our service has to be competitively priced next to the competition (PS4 and Xbox One) which have sold over 80 million consoles combined to this date. We are doing what is necessary so you will consider the Switch.
* when issues crop up, hopefully there will be less backlash from the angry unwashed masses since we are charging you less, lovely beta testers

xile6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Voice chat is free on PS4. It works with or without PS plus.
Gotta pay to play online.
So while you can talk to people you cant play a game online with them
So uhm, before anyone starting bitching it totally down. Why not let the Switch get released and see how many games actually require talk? A lot of them today (example Overwatch) have short commands you can issue with a push of a button. Speech isn't even nessary. Also, there is most likely and probably a function to speak with your friends directly over the switch. It have TRRS/TRRRS audio jack. And third party are already developing headsets for it, even if you can use any pair with a TRRS/TRRRS plug.
Yea just like battlefield. I have never use voice chat.
Destiny is a must tho.
But most other games i dont need it if everyone knows how to play the game.

RandomUser

Rosalina in Plush Form
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most likely will not have this option, wonder how much would it cost for a one time payment of online service till the console's EOL? Would people pay that instead of annually?

Last edited by RandomUser,

Shining Greninja

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know what's funny? The fact that the ninty fanboys complained about PSN and XBL paid online service, yet Nintendo does it (and you get no benefits by paying, all you get is one NES/SNES game that you get to rent for a month) and now all of a sudden Nintendo is smart for making this move? I don't get it

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most likely will not have this option, wonder how much would it cost for a one time payment of online service till the console's EOL? Would people pay that instead of annually?
Those kinds of deals are tricky to evaluate. Is it tied to the console or account? Transferable? What if you are banned? What if it breaks? (Under warranty or outside warranty).

Another issue:

What I have not seen discussed in this thread is the price range given per device or account? I do not subscribe to the other two services so don't know how they work. I am purchasing a Switch primarily as a home console for now but have three gamers in the house. Do I need a subscription for each account? Now I am looking at potentially $26.50 x 3 =$79.50 per year.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know what's funny? The fact that the ninty fanboys complained about PSN and XBL paid online service, yet Nintendo does it (and you get no benefits by paying, all you get is one NES/SNES game that you get to rent for a month) and now all of a sudden Nintendo is smart for making this move? I don't get it
Have you not seen all the people complaining about paid online?

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Assuming any of this is true, this could also be interpreted this way:
* you will be our paying beta testers. We are years behind the competition and you will help us make it good
* we will raise prices once we make our online service 'good' after the first year
* we reserve the right to charge differently in different regions, so this price may be meaningless in your country, especially with exchange rates and simply 'charging what the market will accept' being what they are
* we desperately need the Switch to be accepted, so our service has to be competitively priced next to the competition (PS4 and Xbox One) which have sold over 80 million consoles combined to this date. We are doing what is necessary so you will consider the Switch.
* when issues crop up, hopefully there will be less backlash from the angry unwashed masses since we are charging you less, lovely beta testers
The "beta" is the period before they start charging for the services. It'd be entirely against their own interests to make the services seem buggy and unfinished. Nobody would pay to continue using that after the free period.

Last edited by Xzi,

foob

Trophies
XP
Country
The "beta" is the period before they start charging for the services. It'd be entirely against their own interests to make the services seem buggy and unfinished. Nobody would pay to continue using that after the free period.

Yes, good point.

k3rizz3k

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm excited for this. Usually paid service gets better over time, due to them having revenue, and a reason to improve. I'm willing to pay as long as it's reasonable.

jerzmob

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
how can you console heads approve of this from nintendo sony? its Microsoft's fault for starting this trend. what do you think PC folks did to Windows LIVE??? Yes you guessed it, it got shut down. This is robbery & the reason this is is because many console heads are not well informed. Even with all these limitations they put on consoles, they still get cracked. If the network was open like in PC we'd be hosting the servers for all these games at top notch speed. It's pretty easy for these companies to shut down a server if cheats are used so i don't see that being a problem. It just won't be any different just because of a subscription fee (i.e. 3ds mario kart 7). The consumers need to end this. done

Last edited by jerzmob,

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think sums it up for most.

IMG_0026.JPG

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum