Only using SYSNAND? how long? and are you banned yet?

orangpelupa

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Atmosphere nowadays have "protections" enabled by default AFAIK. But the general consensus seems to be the same: never install nsp (not just pirated games. But also homebrew nsp), and you'll be safe from ban (for now). Even if you use homebrew NRO

Gep_Etto

Being late since '88
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
what if Nintendo themself are redirecting 90dns o3o I mean, when's the last time 90dns changed? If it's a static DNS all the time, Nintendo could have got smart and been like, if this specific DNS is used, then redirect it. lol
You don't know what 90DNS is, do you? It blocks access to Nintendo's servers. Nintendo won't ever see that you're using it, because you'll never connect to their servers. What you're saying is like claiming that the other side of a locked door can "redirect" you (towards where, by the way?) if they find out you went through the locked door to get to the other side. But the whole point of a locked door is that you don't go through it.

Takokeshi

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I mean they could, by why would an ISP just randomly do that one day, makes very little sense.
Also, HOS is very thoroughly scrutinized after every update. If there was ever anything added to specifically ignore specific DNS server addresses, it would be known about very quickly. It would also be a waste of time for Nintendo because all it would take is for 90DNS to move to a new address.

Don't use 90DNS, anyway. Waste of time. Add 90DNS blocklists to dns mitm hosts with Atmosphere instead.

Reactions: Gep_Etto

jubbagee

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Been using my day one switch no probz. Used to have sxos but switched to atmosphere for quite some time now i also keep it offline apart from when i update firmware when i boot into horizon and all updates fine straight from nintendos servers all since sxos first came out

Gep_Etto

Being late since '88
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I mean if you're worried your ISP is redirecting the DNS traffic, there is a tool for that I just found. lol https://github.com/farrokhi/dnsdiag
Um, that's just a bunch of tools to see if your DNS is being hijacked. At the end of the day, you really can't circumvent it if your ISP is really bent on forcing you to use their own DNS server (although usually they aren't that dogged about it). All of your WAN traffic goes through them first, before going anywhere else. They're the perfect MITM.
it's also common practice not to always trust 3rd party DNS.
Tell that to Watch.DNS, OpenDNS, OpenNIC, 1.1.1.1, Quad9.... heck, even Google's public DNS if Alphabet already knows enough about you from your using Google the search engine, Chrome, GMail and Google Drive. It's actually common practice to use one of these third-party DNS services instead of your ISP's to avoid shenanigans like @Takokeshi mentioned... if the ISP allows it, of course.

MrSandstorm

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I've been running sysnand-only since SXOS stopped getting updates and I moved to Atmosphère. Haven't tried playing online, primarily because I'm not really into giving some company money for the "privilege" of connecting my console to the internet, but so far I've seen no indication that I've been banned. Got curious once and tried checking for an update through the system menu and it worked, but that's about as far as I went.

Personally I think that when someone mods a console, they should have in mind that online functionality will likely be lost or limited. It's a not an issue for me since I never intended to play online on the Switch, but for someone who wants to do it I'd say they should probably stick to using emunand for homebrew and keeping a clean sysnand for online stuff.

Reactions: Takokeshi

Gep_Etto

Being late since '88
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I've been running sysnand-only since SXOS stopped getting updates and I moved to Atmosphère. Haven't tried playing online, primarily because I'm not really into giving some company money for the "privilege" of connecting my console to the internet, but so far I've seen no indication that I've been banned. Got curious once and tried checking for an update through the system menu and it worked, but that's about as far as I went.
My Switch is banned but I can still update HOS through the official channels. If you want to test if you're banned, try connecting to the eShop.

Reactions: MrSandstorm

digipimp75

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also just curious, but what do you think the number of banned peeps is for HardModded VS SoftModded? Maybe the extra hardware flags something cause it changes the power distribution slightly, and Nintendo notices it somehow?

Maybe. I have 2 Switches, both hardmodded with a trinket chip. One just got banned and the other didn't...yet. On the banned one, I've been playing the leaked copy of Kirby (on emunand) so maybe they somehow can detect that.

JeepX87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Several years ago, I was told that 90DNS will not prevent you from get a ban, but just delay and Nintendo could add new telemetry lines that aren’t blocked by 90DNS.

MrSandstorm

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
My Switch is banned but I can still update HOS through the official channels. If you want to test if you're banned, try connecting to the eShop.
Thanks for the info. I've read somewhere that they have different ban tiers, guess this is what it means. I prefer to have physical copies of my console games, so I don't even remember if I have a Nintendo account to test the eshop with.

Do I need to be on the latest firmware to use the eshop? Because I was waiting for Atmos 1.3.0 to come out of pre-release before updating to HOS 14.0.0

Last edited by MrSandstorm,

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also has anyone ever checked if the switch has some sort of telemetry thing on boot?
1) SciresM has duplicated the official software's behavior since day 1. So yes, HE has.
2) No, it isn't possible something is done on boot. The ONLY WAY we can run CFW to this date (4.x warmboot thing that I never paid any attention to notwithstanding), is to glitch the system at boot, before any official software is even loaded, and in fact, before the security system is even turned on so that it can decrypt and even read the official system files. The initial injected payloads have to control the system from bare metal, right down to turning the screen on...

JayBae

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lol What if Nintendo has some "inside guy" that secretly works for them that makes a homebrew app, that works and such, but bypasses the DNS to just catch people. lol Honestly, we don't even know who some of these people are. ya never know! #Conspiracies lol jk

Last edited by JayBae,

JayBae

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been playing the leaked copy of Kirby (on emunand) so maybe they somehow can detect that.
TBH, Is it really a good idea to play a leaked game that early? Maybe they just know cause it's running on your system before it's actually released properly... hmm.

JayBae

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TBH, the only way i'mma be playing copies on my switch is the day it gets banned. cause it's the only way I could update my games the day that happens. Until then no backups or copies are ever gonna touch my switch.

jigoku99

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so it's safe? i also want to connect cfw sysnand because im tired of changing between stock and cfw to connect to the internet, never pirated games just have a custom theme and homebrew menu

Gep_Etto

Being late since '88
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Nice quadruple post there, guy.
so it's safe?
The answer is "we don't know". Some people get banned, some don't. What 100% causes a ban are piracy, installing homebrew NSPs to the Home Menu, cheating online and messing with online account stuff (custom profile pic, clearing system logs). AFAIK, custom themes and homebrew installed as NRO files to the Homebrew Menu have never resulted in a ban yet. This could change tomorrow, however, and something that is safe now might get you banned further down the line. Caution is advised.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Stop flapping your stick in my face