Homebrew RELEASE Open source horizon nand-dumper

Meepers55

Flintstones Regular
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I love how a user with an extremely random username @asdfaaasssdddfff and no other activity posts some script, then another person who also only registered yesterday and also only posted on this thread vouches for it.
This just has attention written all over it, even with the source attached.
It's fine to be skeptical, but when your only arguments are "I think their username is weird" and "they only registered yesterday," you might wanna think a bit more before actually commenting.

Reactions: tiliarou

comput3rus3r

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's fine to be skeptical, but when your only arguments are "I think their username is weird" and "they only registered yesterday," you might wanna think a bit more before actually commenting.
in all fairness I too get suspicious from new accounts.
Anybody remember XCIment? the dev creates an account and releases this xci renaming tool with "github coming soon". it never came and I never touched it.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/xciment-auto-xci-file-renaming-tool.506348/

Meepers55

Flintstones Regular
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
in all fairness I too get suspicious from new accounts.
Anybody remember XCIment? the dev creates an account and releases this xci renaming tool with "github coming soon". it never came and I never touched it.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/xciment-auto-xci-file-renaming-tool.506348/
Like I said, it's okay to be skeptical. However, there are a couple of things to take note of. For one thing, the OP of this thread has released the source code right from the get go. Also, it wouldn't be too strange if someone made an account on a popular forum site just so they could get their work out there. I'm sure many popular developers have done it in the past.

comput3rus3r

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Like I said, it's okay to be skeptical. However, there are a couple of things to take note of. For one thing, the OP of this thread has released the source code right from the get go. Also, it wouldn't be too strange if someone made an account on a popular forum site just so they could get their work out there. I'm sure many popular developers have done it in the past.
I mean I agree with you. I'm just saying a new account releasing something without source is highly suspicious.

Meepers55

Flintstones Regular
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean I agree with you. I'm just saying a new account releasing something without source is highly suspicious.
Yes, but that isn't really as relevant considering that the title of this thread literally states that this is an open source tool. I never said that a closed source product can't be suspicious.

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah because that's two points that totally don't ring alarm bells first thing. Man, you must be new here

(edit) you actually are

KsAmJ

Trophies
XP
If you dump the nand on a cwf it will be already having a logs of that doesn't it? so I think hekate cleaner that this for the "safe online" restore wise

Drakia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
> Without source
> Without
> source

You are aware that the attached file is literally called "source.zip", contains one file, "main.c", and that is literally the source, right...?

It's a simple tool, a port of the Pegaswitch NAND dump code to C from the looks of it.

"i made this"
if you indeed did make this why are you hiding behind an alt with one post?
I can understand why someone may want to release something anonymously, with how shit some people in this scene are.

Meepers55

Flintstones Regular
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah because that's two points that totally don't ring alarm bells first thing. Man, you must be new here

(edit) you actually are
Being new to a forum doesn't necessarily mean that you can't post useful, harmless content. As I've stated previously, it wouldn't be that strange if someone had decided to make an account on a popular site just to share their content. Anyone who's released anything has to start from somewhere. Because of this, your points are pretty weak and anyone who can think logically will understand that.

You can be skeptical of the tool all you want but when they literally release the source code and multiple people say it's relatively safe, you might wanna add more substance to your argument.

Also, I'm not new to this site. I've lurked around since the days of the Wii and haven't really seen much of a reason to create an actual account until recently.

xx_

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Estonia
Just so you know, the toolkit wasn't being kept closed-source for "no apparent reason" - we wanted to iron out bugs and get it ready, maybe refactor some code, and at its first stable release, we would open-source it. This was the plan since the beginning, and if you had asked any of the devs why it was "closed-source", this is the answer you would've gotten.

In any case, the toolkit is now open source on GitHub.

Reactions: Deleted User

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Let me finish do the harder drugs