Homebrew OPEN_AGB_FIRM discussion thread

Maximumbeans

3DS is love, 3DS is life
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Is there any injector for MacOS?
Do you mean something that injects an old Mac OS into the 3DS, or do you mean an app for Macs that plays GBA games? If you mean the latter then you’re talking about an emulator, and yes, there are plenty. You wouldn’t call it injection in this case as it’s not working the same way.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Do you mean something that injects an old Mac OS into the 3DS, or do you mean an app for Macs that plays GBA games?
I expect "Is there any injector for MacOS?" is intended in the sense of "Is there a program like New Super Ultimate Injector for MacOS that can create .cia files?". (And there is indeed no such program.)

Reactions: anotherthing

luxorator

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, all! I have a quick question. Is there any particular reason why my roms loaded through OAF are stuck on a blank Game Boy start up screen? It's like turning on a gba without a cartridge. I have been somewhat stumped trying to figure this out. The roms in question work perfectly everywhere else.

kenseiden

i am overflow
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, all! I have a quick question. Is there any particular reason why my roms loaded through OAF are stuck on a blank Game Boy start up screen? It's like turning on a gba without a cartridge. I have been somewhat stumped trying to figure this out. The roms in question work perfectly everywhere else.

which games does it get stuck on the startup screen? i found that it did that for some romhacks, such as Castlevania: Revenge of the Findesiecle, and the only solution that worked for me to get into the game itself was to disable booting into the startup screen.

luxorator

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
which games does it get stuck on the startup screen? i found that it did that for some romhacks, such as Castlevania: Revenge of the Findesiecle, and the only solution that worked for me to get into the game itself was to disable booting into the startup screen.
The only luck I’ve had is with a homebrew: Anguna: Warriors of Virtue. I’ve tried about a dozen other games — no romhacks — and they all seem have the same problem. 007 - Everything or Nothing, Pokemon FireRed, Emerald, Samurai Jack - Amulet of Time, Pirates of the Caribbean, Golden Sun, etc.

Maximumbeans

3DS is love, 3DS is life
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
When you say they work fine elsewhere, are you referring to emulators? If so, which ones?

luxorator

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When you say they work fine elsewhere, are you referring to emulators? If so, which ones?
I've tested them with Visual Boy Advance on my Mac, mGBA on 3DS, and they also work flawlessly on both an Everdrive and EZ Flash Omega.
Post automatically merged:

better than use cias on home menu?
I definitely injected my favorites onto the home menu, and they work great as cias. I just have a rather extensive rom collection that could be accessed more conveniently with OAF.

Last edited by luxorator,

Maximumbeans

3DS is love, 3DS is life
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've tested them with Visual Boy Advance on my Mac, mGBA on 3DS, and they also work flawlessly on both an Everdrive and EZ Flash Omega.
Not sure why that would be. Are the roms modified in any way? Are they headerless? Not sure if the header makes a difference for OAF but it might be that.

Edit: Found this which might help (scroll to bottom): https://github.com/LumaTeam/Luma3DS/issues/642

luxorator

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure why that would be. Are the roms modified in any way? Are they headerless? Not sure if the header makes a difference for OAF but it might be that.

Edit: Found this which might help (scroll to bottom):
This is interesting — I am using a 128gb SanDisk. I’ve tried formatting with both 32kb and 64kb clusters to see if it makes a difference, but nope. I’ll pick up a Samsung card and give it a go. Thank you for all the help!

Reactions: Maximumbeans

AleronIves

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Both DS and 3DS have full GBA hardware inside, so compatibility is perfect on both systems, barring any bugs in OAF. All OAF does is let you access the GBA hardware that's already included in your 3DS.

StarGazer22

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Code:
Hardware Limitations
open_agb_firm using the 3DS's built-in GBA hardware. Unfortunately, this comes with limitations compared to GBA emulators. 

This is a list of limitations we can't solve in software or are very hard to work around.

32 MiB (>256 Mbit) games and homebrew.
Games with extra hardware built into the cartridge (except real-time clocks). Patches are required.
Proper save autodetection (can't find save type during gameplay).
32 KiB (>256 Kbit) SRAM (homebrew games/emulators).
Sound has lots of aliasing issues. No known workaround (hardware bug).

This is all working perfect now or still broke?

luxorator

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is interesting — I am using a 128gb SanDisk. I’ve tried formatting with both 32kb and 64kb clusters to see if it makes a difference, but nope. I’ll pick up a Samsung card and give it a go. Thank you for all the help!
Unfortunately a new SD card did not solve the issue, regardless of formatting. I still appreciate the assistance, and I will probably be content sticking with a combo of mGBA and VC injects. :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    :wacko: rolling?
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    make up his mind dude
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Go gay there I made up his mind
    :rofl2::tpi::rofl2: I meant his eyes :tpi::rofl2::tpi:
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    :toot:blow me then @K3Nv2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I'm straight but you're more than welcome to blow ancientboi
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    LOL, which straight person does not make gay jokes?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm straight but we can whack dicks together
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    nah, I'm gud over here, no need for sword fights

:glare:
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Dick slang
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    See ancientboi already has a crush on you
    [brings my ⚔️ ] On Guard :D:evil::wub:
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Looks more like a dagger to me
    Pffffft I have a crush on everybody
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I see no problem, unless i happen to grow another gender one day. Too bad it ain't now
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Thought you already had both hotswappable gender fluid
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Enjoy whatever life chucks your way

:teach:
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Deeze nuts
    Dem Nutz
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    'Em nutters
    M&M nutz
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Slim anus nutter
    :unsure::unsure::unsure: I might go buy them M&M w/nuts. I gotta go out to pay the rent anyway
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :unsure::unsure::unsure: I might go buy them M&M w/nuts. I gotta go out to pay the rent anyway