Homebrew Discussion OPENGL finally on horizon SWITCH??

Bellebite2000

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
OpenMW port. ;)
https://openmw.org/media/

I'm mostly excited about N64, PSP, DS implementation and Xash3D (Half Life open source engine), as well as performance and efficiency improvements on PSX emulation - should it ever come to pass. :)

Many people are also excited about Jesus coming back... Doesn't mean it will happen...

Fadi5555

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is really a big deal - all the interesting ports starting happening on the Vita when vitaGL arrived.
You’re absolutely right about this.
Not only that some port games half life can now run on vita at 60fps and Counter-strike up to 70 fps. As you said all this amazing ports are happening after getting OpenGL support. This is also extremely effective for emulators.

Here is a simple video for half life on vita and see how looks on it

I’m just wondering if vita can do all that stuff with low specs think about switch what can do.
Also in the future if we get vulkan implement as well we’ll get a huge step especially for emulation community.
If that’s happened maybe we can see a standalone version of dolphin running on horizon os with a fullspeed for many games.

Last edited by Fadi5555,

m4xw

Ancient Deity
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
What sort of time frame does it usually take for an OpenGL implementation like this to make its way from this stage to a usable driver in, say, Retroarch Switch (RetroNX)? This stuff is really exciting - There's been huge improvements to RetroNX recently (especially the PCSX-Rearmed core) but I feel like this is the missing piece in the puzzle!
The missing puzzle is JIT, not GPU.
Actually opengl will do nothing to pcsx (unless u want more bugs/glitches!)

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
What sort of time frame does it usually take for an OpenGL implementation like this to make its way from this stage to a usable driver in, say, Retroarch Switch (RetroNX)? This stuff is really exciting - There's been huge improvements to RetroNX recently (especially the PCSX-Rearmed core) but I feel like this is the missing piece in the puzzle!
Months, maybe years. You can have partially implemented OpenGL that will render simple things, but for it to actually be useful, most of it needs to be implemented and relatively bug free. OpenGL has a lot of features and extensions, most of which glgears might not need to work but anything more advanced will.
My first Android phone had hardware acceleration but no drivers to take advantage of it, one guy decided to write drivers from scratch to take advantage of it, we heard a lot about it but it took months for it to progress to the point of actually being able to successfully run basic examples and probably a year or two for it to progress to the point of running games, but still with a lot of bugs. I don't know if it ever got to a stable enough state for end users to use, as I gave up on the phone before that happened.
But the Tegra X1 has a lot more info available on it (like that long document from Nvidia) and there might even be some driver source code which helps things, plus the Switch is more popular than that phone ever was, so hopefully it won't take that long.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Many people are also excited about Jesus coming back... Doesn't mean it will happen...
Ah, its been so long since I was on the receiving end of sarcasm... It actually feels good.. ;)

Also, I must be a glutton for masochism, because that wasn't even sarcastic.. ;) Huh, can you catch that with age?

Kobigov

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you know this is going to lead to a bunch of burned out hardware unless we make case mods
You do realize we've had this on linux for quite awhile? The only time the switch has overheated in my experience is if you tried to overclock it, and even then it turns itself off if it gets too hot (like most modern things).

Akira

I'm not a SHRIMP!!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's Horizon OS
7E2AE16E-A016-4108-9514-4144856FF834.jpeg

Last edited by Akira,
Reactions: lordelan

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum