OpenMW for Switch

Github repo: fgsfdsfgs/openmw
Latest version: 2 (28 Oct 2019, based on OpenMW 0.46.0)
Download link

2019052916154500-DA63280140B1530CD17755515D814CFE.jpg 2019060519442700-DA63280140B1530CD17755515D814CFE.jpg

Features:
  • most things seem to work: sound, gamepad controls, intro videos, etc;
  • barebones touchscreen controls in tablet mode;
  • OpenGL 2.1 rendering.

This port is still in a very early state. Expect issues and bad performance. I have not tested it on any other Switch except mine.
This port is not affiliated with or endorsed by Bethesda Softworks and contains no code or resources copyrighted by or belonging to Bethesda Softworks.
To play the game, you need to copy a licensed installation of Morrowind from your PC.

To install, unzip openmw_nx_v2.zip into the switch folder on your SD card. Then:
If you already have an OpenMW install on your PC:
  1. Copy your openmw.cfg into /switch/openmw/config/ (for Windows users: it's in Documents/My Games/OpenMW). You might have to correct the data paths in the cfg file for this to work.
  2. Copy your data files (esm, esp, bsa, contents of the Data Files folder) into /switch/openmw/data/.
If you don't, but you own Morrowind:
  1. Install Morrowind.
  2. Copy the Data Files folder and Morrowind.ini file from your Morrowind installation into /switch/openmw/data/.

Known issues:

• Exiting the game using the HOME button during a loading screen will crash it.
  • Cursor sometimes displays when it shouldn't.
  • Performance isn't very good.
  • User accounts that have non-ASCII characters in the name will be treated as an absence of user account (i.e. your saves will go into global).
  • Startup loading takes a long time. Depends on the SD you're using, for me it takes around 00:40 on the black screen with a total of 01:30 to get to the main menu with Morrowind GOTY.
  • Startup times can be decreased by packing loose files into a BSA archive. See this post for an example of how to do that.

Some notes:
  • You have to run this from either NSP hbmenu or from a game override. Applet mode does not offer enough memory.
  • The game will start with a black screen. You have to wait at this point. This can take up to 3 minutes (see above bug).
  • Press MINUS to bring up the software keyboard when an input field is selected.
  • Click LSTICK to enable/disable gamepad cursor control.
  • This has only been tested with the English release of Morrowind GOTY Edition, without any mods.
  • Mods should probably work, however you'll have to either edit your openmw.cfg manually or use openmw-launcher on PC, then copy the config file over.
  • The port is bundled with a performance-tuned config file (/switch/openmw/default/settings-base.cfg). Feel free to play around with that or /switch/openmw/config/settings.cfg to find out a better compromise between performance and quality.
  • If you somehow avoid selecting a user account, your saves will go into /switch/openmw/data/global.
  • If the game crashes, check /switch/openmw/fatal.log and /switch/openmw/config/openmw.log.

Credits:

• OpenMW team and contributors for OpenMW;
  • terabyte25 for help and code contributions;
  • Gluka for help;
  • xyzz for some patches and build scripts;
  • fincs, Armada651, Subv and probably others for their work on the OpenGL/mesa/libdrm stuff;
  • Bethesda Softworks for TES3: Morrowind.

Last edited by fgsfds,

rantex92

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi, I've been having issues getting OpenMW running myself too; Title Override and it crashes to the "The software was closed because an error occurred." screen rather than a total atmosphere crash, I tried this recompile you linked above and it now asks to select a user profile which is more than the homebrew store compilation did, though after selecting the user it once again software crashes to the "The software was closed because an error occurred." screen.

I've tried reinstalling atmosphere, replacing sigpatches e.c.t. but nothing seems to make it want to work and I'd rather check before having to reformat my entire SD card; any idea if there's crash logs I could upload that'd help with diagnosis?

(EDIT) There isn't a fatal.log in the openmw folder, just looked before I get asked to post, I don't think the programme is even getting an opportunity to launch to even generate a log file.

(EDIT 2) Found the openmw.log file, says the engine isn't detecting my esm/esp files but they are definitely present so I'm completely lost; any help or direction would be masively appreciated. (attached .7z contains said log file.)
could it be that you tried to play another language? ive had the same issues with the german .esp´s

Reactions: altstink

altstink

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Copy in your Morrowind.ini but delete the config files that it generated when you tried to run it without the ini.
oh perfect, that got it working, tysm for the support getting it up and running, I thought it'd probably be something obvious I was overlooking :rofl2:

LilGec

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm at a complete loss, I've spent around two days messing with this install and I cannot get mods to work. I can launch the game fine in vanilla, but as soon as I install any mod, the game crashes on launch with the default switch message of encountering an error and needing to close. I'm really confused as to what I'm doing wrong, and the log doesn't really help other than Error: boost::filesystem::status: I/O error: showing up for all of the filesystems I point the mods to. i really don't know what I'm doing wrong but I'm starting to get really frustrated at this. it works fine in vanilla and loads pretty much instantly with the bsa trick, but I cannot get mods to work. and I'm not particularly nooby at modding OpenMW, I have a *heavily* modded install on my PC but I literally just want uvirith's legacy, the merged addons mod, and PatchforPurists on the switch. can someone point me to where I can get some help with this? i'm literally losing my mind over it

Edit: I think I was a bit too sleep-deprived to explain my problem. A vanilla install of this works fine after moving the data files, packing assets into a bethesda archive, and transferring a default morrowind.ini to the switch/openmw/data directory. But as soon as I attempt to install a single mod, literally anything from the Merged Official Plugins to Patch for Purists to Tamriel_Data, it causes the game to hang on a black screen on launch for about 30 seconds before "This software has encountered an error and needs to blah blah blah blah." Checking openmw.log doesn't really give much that's notable, it loads all of the content, archives, and indexes the data paths for both Morrowind's data files, and my mods' locations (switch/openmw/data/mods. I point to it using data="./data/mods/Patches/PatchForPurists," using patch for purists as an example). Then a message about deleting a duplicate /data/ path, and finally: Error: boost::filesystem::status: I/O error: [data path to just one of the mods, at random, in the data paths in cfg.
I'm completely lost, I'm still trying to mess with it but I'm hardly qualified to understand what an i/o error can possibly be, much less how to solve this specific one. If anyone could help out, I'd be super grateful and even buy you a coffee or something.

Edit 2: Here are the contents of openmw.log after a crash - there's no fatal.log for me to see anywhere, so this is the best I can do:
Loading config file: ./config/openmw.cfg
Loading config file: ./default/openmw.cfg
OpenMW version 0.46.0
Revision: 11714a4f86
Using default (English) font encoding.
OSG version: 3.6.4
SDL version: 2.0.12
Loading settings file: ./default/settings-default.cfg
Adding BSA archive ./data/Data Files/Morrowind.bsa
Adding BSA archive ./data/Data Files/Tribunal.bsa
Adding BSA archive ./data/Data Files/Bloodmoon.bsa
Adding BSA archive ./data/Data Files/archiveIMT.bsa
Adding BSA archive ./data/Data Files/archiveBMS.bsa
Adding BSA archive ./data/Mods/Landmasses/TamrielData/PT_Data.bsa
Adding BSA archive ./data/Mods/Landmasses/TamrielData/TR_Data.bsa
Adding data directory ./resources/vfs
Adding data directory ./data
Adding data directory ./data/Data Files
Adding data directory ./data/Mods/Patches/PatchforPurists
Adding data directory ./data/Mods/Patches/UnofficialMorrowindOfficialPluginsPatched
Adding data directory ./data/Mods/Performance/MorrowindOptimizationPatch/00 Core
Adding data directory ./data/Mods/Gameplay/GraphicHerbalismMWSEandOpenMWEdition/00 Core + Vanilla Meshes
Adding data directory ./data/Mods/Gameplay/GraphicHerbalismMWSEandOpenMWEdition/01 Optional - Smoothed Meshes
Adding data directory ./data/Mods/Gameplay/GraphicHerbalismMWSEandOpenMWEdition/00 Correct UV Ore + README
Adding data directory ./data/Mods/Fixes/Fixthosebastardropefences
Adding data directory ./data/Mods/Landmasses/TamrielData
Adding data directory ./data/Mods/Landmasses/TamrielRebuilt/00 Core
Adding data directory ./data/Mods/Landmasses/TamrielRebuilt/01 Faction Integration
Adding data directory ./data/Mods/Landmasses/TamrielRebuilt/03 Travel Network for Core and Vvardenfell
Adding data directory ./data/Mods/Landmasses/ProvinceCyrodiil
Adding data directory ./data/Mods/Landmasses/SkyrimHomeOfTheNords
Adding data directory ./data/Mods/TexturePacks/MorrowindEnhancedTextures/Interface
Adding data directory ./data/Mods/NPCs/FamiliarFacesbyCaleb
Adding data directory ./data/Mods/ObjectsClutter/OpenMWContainersAnimated
Adding data directory ./data/Mods/Weapons/WeaponSheathing
Adding data directory ./data/Mods/Performance/MorrowindOptimizationPatchWeaponSheathingPatch/02 Weapon Sheathing Patch
Adding data directory ./data/Mods/Architecture/Nordsshutyourwindows/00 Core
Adding data directory ./data/Mods/Fonts/TrueTypefontsforOpenMW
Adding data directory ./data/Mods/UserInterface/BigIcons
Adding data directory ./data/Mods/UserInterface/CantonsontheGlobalMap
Adding data directory ./data/Mods/Gameplay/UvirithsLegacy
Adding data directory ./data/Mods/Tools/DeltaPlugin
Ignoring duplicate data directory ./data
Error: boost::filesystem::status: I/O error: "./data/mods/Architecture/GlowintheDahrk/00 Core/Meshes/spok"

Edit 3: I got some mods to work, Tamriel Data, Skyrim:HOTN, Province: Cyrodiil, FixThoseBastardRopeFences, UMOPP & Patch For Purists, Morrowind Optimization Project, a few textures from Morrowind Enhanced Textures. Frustratingly, I can't install them via "the OpenMW Way," by referencing their location in openmw.cfg as it causes the game to immediately crash with an i/o error to log, as stated above. But I was able to get the mods to "work," by just using an override install of all the mod files, overwriting whatever is found in Data Files and installing them in the correct load order, then packing all those files up into their own bsa archive for the mods. Load times are great, even. Of course, this is not a very ideal solution and I'm basically stuck with this mod install, so I would still really like to solve what was going on with the previous implementation of mod installs, if possible. Still, if anyone has the problem I was having, try doing a clean install of OpenMW and install your mods on top of your Morrowind/Data Files installation directly. Be sure to install and overwrite according to install/load order of mods, if you do it this way, and also be aware that you're not going to be able to easily uninstall them, should something break.

Last edited by LilGec,

Saigaiii

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I’m having an issue where pressing - to bring up the keyboard freezes the game, while the sound still plays. Can’t get past putting my name. I’ll post my log in a bit. Anyone have any suggestions to fix this?

Edit: Should have put this sooner, but the solution was to turn off I believe it was sys-ftpd module, as it was using up alot of the ram. Other sysmodules may do the same thing so experiment a bit with turning off modules and such in Tesla.

Last edited by Saigaiii,

Benja81

GBATemp Sporaddict
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used to be able to play it but now just always get "the software was closed because an error occurred"
I tried deleteing everything and starting over, same error. I have the data files and the morrowind.ini in place. Any idea what the issue could be?

sapphicmoon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used to be able to play it but now just always get "the software was closed because an error occurred"
I tried deleteing everything and starting over, same error. I have the data files and the morrowind.ini in place. Any idea what the issue could be?
i have only recieved this message, just downloaded

• Sad
Reactions: Benja81

regigiygas

??? bees maybe
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so after using the guide from here (https://switch.homebrew.guide/index.html) to get atmosphere onto my switch, i followed these instructions (both methods) and when i try to run openmw from the HBmenu, i get "the software was closed because an error occurred"

ive even tried the suggestion above to move the morrowind.ini file into switch/openmw/data and delete the cfg file that was created by trying to run it, but im still getting the error.

any advice or suggestions? also please bear with me, im very new to switch hacking so if you can, please explain things like im 5
thanks in advance

edit: reading through the thread i saw something about hbl using the game being "run" for memory. i was opening hbl through a game DEMO, which brought up the launcher just fine, but not Morrowind. downloading an actual full game now and trying it with that.

edit 2: it did not work, same error

Last edited by regigiygas,

safarirat

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
so after using the guide from here to get atmosphere onto my switch, i followed these instructions (both methods) and when i try to run openmw from the HBmenu, i get "the software was closed because an error occurred"

ive even tried the suggestion above to move the morrowind.ini file into switch/openmw/data and delete the cfg file that was created by trying to run it, but im still getting the error.

any advice or suggestions? also please bear with me, im very new to switch hacking so if you can, please explain things like im 5
thanks in advance
I have same problem with openmw.

with or without openmw config and recompiled nro - crashes with "the software was closed because an error occurred"

16.0.1 | kefir 705 | atmosphere 1.5.4

*.log is not generated

Reactions: regigiygas

EmeraldTuxedo56

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cant Figure Out How To Get Console Commands Working, When I Hit Submit On The Keyboard Nothing Happens And When I Plug A Keyboard Into My Switch The Enter Key Doesn't Work To Help It Either

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm thinking about getting a 1tb SD card and booting batocera just for pc emulation
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    See some new 830gb builds that should work on the cheaper ones
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    For your steam deck ken?
    If just for PC I would recommend an external hard drive like 2 TB and just build your own bootable drive
    Although even if it's the steam deck and a 1TB MicroSD I would still recommend building it yourself.... Almost all the builds I tried just sucked
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah but why not just have a img file mounted through us you can still transfer through windows
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Usb*
    Yeah Batocera has a shared folder it's pretty cool
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Less clutter for all the 6 usb options we never use
    Just drag and drop your Barbie Roms
    Barbies BDSM Dungeon Adventure Featuring Gimp Ken!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's the Florida meth
    Don't make Barbie put a cigarette out on your nipples!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Although expensive Florida meth can rot the brightest of minds
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    lol qbits almost taking a
    full gb of ram usage
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, qbittorrent?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    no I dont torrent
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: