Overheat after Atmosphere ?

Nano_G4

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
So my N-Switch is eligible for Atmosphere, so i did it by first format the switch and worked fine ! my only problem is overheating after 30 mins to 1 hr ! can't enjoy the slightest thing before overheating & goes to sleep mode! i'm positive everything is fine before atmosphere but after it installing it , its started to overheat when i play games (Kirby, Mario Party etc) so what should i do?

Reactions: huy757243

JayBae

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nope i'm sure i didnt install anything to overclock the system , gotta search deeper on what did i do wrong
Have you tried starting over completely? ya kno, copy your nintendo folder to your pc, format the card, re-set it up, add the Nintendo folder back... ect ect. If you are unsure what you did, it might be quicker just to start over, cause the issue you are having if not a normal thing that happens. unless it is overclocked or your fan is indeed borked somehow.

Reactions: binkinator

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is this directory on your switch? /atmosphere/contents/00FF0000636C6BFF

A) If you have it, it would indicate that you have the sys-clk module installed and might be over clocking. Simply delete that dir and reboot.
B) If you do not have it, then you are definitely not over clocking. Have someone look at your fan.

orangpelupa

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Install sysclock or edizon. Complete with tesla overlay.

Then you can check in realtime for the clock speeds and the temperature and the fan speed.

Post the result here for when in the home screen. When in game. When 45 minute in game

Nano_G4

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
Have you tried starting over completely? ya kno, copy your nintendo folder to your pc, format the card, re-set it up, add the Nintendo folder back... ect ect. If you are unsure what you did, it might be quicker just to start over, cause the issue you are having if not a normal thing that happens. unless it is overclocked or your fan is indeed borked somehow.
Alrighty, just formatted my SD to exFAT , previously was FAT32 , redownloaded the atmosphere
kept only Atmosphere, bootloader and switch files
will test it after few hours when i get home cuz the overheat only in dock

Nano_G4

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
Seems like the problem has been fixed! all i did was format the SD card and just redo the process again ! thanks

JayBae

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You’ll have another problem before long. You really shouldn’t have used exfat. You should have just let nyx format it…
Yeah, exfat is nice for bigger files and junk, only useful if you're a dirty pirate lol, but it also has higher risk of issues down the road than fat32 XD, exfat always seems to corrupt easily, and you run into strange issues often.

Maalze

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello there, sorry for bumping the thread up but I've also been experiencing the same Switch overheating issues for the past few months, especially when docked in. I recently got the overheating message which caused to system to go to sleep mode.

I've been monitoring my temps for a long while now with the Tesla overlay, here's an example of my high temps readings on something like Pokemon (still docked):

CPU [62%.63%.60%.39%]@1020.0
GPU 86.0%@768.0
RAM 2888/[email protected]
TEMP 76°C/69°C/60.0°C
FAN 100.00%

As you can see, they are quite high and are still pretty much going up until the "tskin" threshold I believe (63°). For the record, I do not overclock at all, and the dock is not enclosed whatsoever. It "seems" to be fine when i'm on OFW but I can't be 100% sure with no monitoring tools. I repasted and cleaned (barely any dust tbh) my system a few months ago, but that did not seem to do anything. The fan seems to be working well, even though it is not particularly as loud as I would have imagined especially at 100%? I kinda have to be really close to the Switch to hear it a bit.

So is reinstalling CFW from scratch worth the try? It seems to have worked for OP but it is kind of a pain to redo obviously lol, the formatting, EmuMMC and so on. But the thing is that I feel that I've been getting these issues since i've put CFW on my Switch when I think about it, but I don't know why it would be related to that. On the other hand, the culprit could be the fan not working at its fullest...?

I would love to know your suggestions, and especially feedback from @Nano_G4 to know if the problem still kicks in nowadays.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello there, sorry for bumping the thread up but I've also been experiencing the same Switch overheating issues for the past few months, especially when docked in. I recently got the overheating message which caused to system to go to sleep mode.

I've been monitoring my temps for a long while now with the Tesla overlay, here's an example of my high temps readings on something like Pokemon (still docked):

CPU [62%.63%.60%.39%]@1020.0
GPU 86.0%@768.0
RAM 2888/[email protected]
TEMP 76°C/69°C/60.0°C
FAN 100.00%

As you can see, they are quite high and are still pretty much going up until the "tskin" threshold I believe (63°). For the record, I do not overclock at all, and the dock is not enclosed whatsoever. It "seems" to be fine when i'm on OFW but I can't be 100% sure with no monitoring tools. I repasted and cleaned (barely any dust tbh) my system a few months ago, but that did not seem to do anything. The fan seems to be working well, even though it is not particularly as loud as I would have imagined especially at 100%? I kinda have to be really close to the Switch to hear it a bit.

So is reinstalling CFW from scratch worth the try? It seems to have worked for OP but it is kind of a pain to redo obviously lol, the formatting, EmuMMC and so on. But the thing is that I feel that I've been getting these issues since i've put CFW on my Switch when I think about it, but I don't know why it would be related to that. On the other hand, the culprit could be the fan not working at its fullest...?

I would love to know your suggestions, and especially feedback from @Nano_G4 to know if the problem still kicks in nowadays.

Replace your thermal paste.

Reactions: impeeza

Maalze

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe forgot to renew cooling paste or left the fan unplugged during re-assembly?
Nah I definitely put some new cooling paste, and I never unplugged the fan to begin with and its spinning. But I may have to repaste the system even though I thought I did it well enough (I watched a few tutorials before).

Reactions: ZeroT21

sudeki300

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
renewing the thermal paste is something i would like to do on mine but just don't trust myself, wish there were more modders in UK ( especially London ) as majority of users here seem to be US based.

Maalze

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I repasted again my Switch, still gets really hot while docked in for some reason despite the fan seemingly spinning... Could the fan still be the culprit and worth replacing?

Edit : Well, it appears that the fan is actually not spinning at all lol, despite what the tesla readings say. I turned on the console without the backplate to be sure, despite the small "buzzing" sound I could hear which I thought was the fan doing its job. Could it be shorted? I feel like the issue came up last year when i modded my switch with a jig?

Last edited by Maalze,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nearly 4 hours without power :(
  • Veho @ Veho:
    SO POWERLESS
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Tell Kanye I need power
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    Better start running in your hamster wheel
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Meth addicts on a treadmill connected to a generator "Unlimited POWER!!!'
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before or after a hit?
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Do you dangle a baggie in front of them, like a carrot?
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    they're the same thing
    +1
    i like that idea
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the same thing?
    +1
    before or after a hit
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nah, a hit gives them mad meth powers, but makes them more difficult to control.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before a hit they're like zombies, persistent but slow.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a tradeoff.
    +1
    no i mean, before a hit is after the previous hit
    +1
    if you keep them well enough fed, it's the same thing
    +1
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay