Overrated rpgs

Porygonal

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know CT was a unique game for it's time,but then time passed and better rpgs were made and yet there are ppl who still consider CT to be one of the best of all time,I guess I just don't understand why...

Dragonlord

Linux-Dragon of quick wit and sharp tongue
Trophies
Website
www.indiedb.com
XP
Country
Swaziland
Porygonal said:
lol,VS IS unique because what other game can you name that is like that...?There sure wasn't a game like that then and probably not even now.Atleast the gameplay is something DIFFERENT rather than than games that just wanna play like FF clones with a few differences here and there,but not enough to make a difference... And I never had a problem with the lvling system in Oblivion,nor the character jobs.I made my custom job and it worked fine for me and the other things you complain about just seem minor to me... And how can you say VS is cliched when mostly EVERY rpg is gunna have you killing dragons... I don't see what the big deal is.
Weapons with "type advantage/disdvantage" is nothing new. Targeting system (target different body parts) is also nothing new. Switching between a story and combat mode is again nothing new. Mind to elaborate what is supposed to be "unique" on that game?

Concerning Oblivion I talked about character builds not jobs. Jobs have no influence on the character build by itself and are just a collection of side quests to accomplish. This is not the problematic part in this game. It's the way you play the character which is limited and broken in comparison to for example Morrowind. Hence developing your character into certain directions is a chore since the game mechanics are designed to support only one kind of build and that's an RPG sin so-to-speak.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Dragonlord said:
VS had boring game mechanics. After a couple of places you've seen the game mechanics and there is nothing interesting to it. In fact it gets annoying to do type-book-keeping and swapping weapons constantly to improve type advantage. The targeting system is annoying too and gives nothing except cramps. Story itself doesn't hook one too. So overall while playable and perhaps enjoyable by some it's sub-par at best. One of the games I had been happy to have gone from my desk as fast as possible. Granted the Pkmn and company have not great game mechanics but VS doesn't send something new, unique (sorry, it's simply not unique, no matter how much you try to stake that claim) nor interesting, especially in the long run. So it's on the same level as the others.

Ah... nearly forgot... why VS cliché? Whenever somebody builds a game around killing dragons he gets an insta-cliché tag issued from me
tongue.gif

Everything you say here i totally disagree with. If anything despite it's sales and generally good reception, Vagrant Story is one of those games that many don't feel is a great game because it's not a simple and easy to play RPG like the Final Fantasy series. Whilst it garnered great reviews in the main, i'd say if anything Vagrant Story is under-rated by gamers.

Porygonal

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Weapons with "type advantage/disdvantage" is nothing new. Targeting system (target different body parts) is also nothing new. Switching between a story and combat mode is again nothing new. Mind to elaborate what is supposed to be "unique" on that game?

Really...?Because I've never played a game like it,and I loved it.I don't see what you have against it at all and it may have a few set backs but so does EVERY game... And even if it does,it still deserves more praise than the FF7,CT,and Pokemon(or any other overrated rpgs),although those are good games too.

And alot of people like Oblivion and may even consider it one of the best rpgs... So maybe I should exclude that one... But still,what you're complaining about is minor and maybe you just didn't have the patience for it,I dunno.I really had no problem with it.

QUOTEEverything you say here i totally disagree with. If anything despite it's sales and generally good reception, Vagrant Story is one of those games that many don't feel is a great game because it's not a simple and easy to play RPG like the Final Fantasy series. Whilst it garnered great reviews in the main, i'd say if anything Vagrant Story is under-rated by gamers.

Couldn't agree more... I guess it would've gotten noticed more if it had the ''Final Fantasy'' name... lol.

Dragonlord

Linux-Dragon of quick wit and sharp tongue
Trophies
Website
www.indiedb.com
XP
Country
Swaziland
I played Oblivion through well enough including mods and stuff like that. This doesn't change the facts though. You try to wish this away as minor stuff but that won't help. Everything which is show-stopping or prevents a game from being played the way it's labeled (aka an RPG) fails. And I'm not the only one. If you ask players liking the TES series and ask them which one is better, Morrowind or Oblivion the answer is most of the time Morrowind.

Concerning VS just look around with open eyes and you'll see tons of games having similar game mechanics. Just because the presentation is slightly different doesn't make it different. Maybe you can't see this as you are not a game developer (and hence you don't have an eye to see the actual game mechanics no matter what presentation) but that's the way it is. Now concerning your point if I ask people about a game named Vagrant Story majority will not know what it is. It definitely flies under the radar there and from when I played it (although quite some time ago I admit that) I can understand very well why this is the case. Concerning easy or not this can have an influence. We game developers have a saying: if it ain't fun to play it's worthless no matter how complex the game mechanics are. Point in case here. There are games which really need the complexity they contain but this one here does not belong to this category. And if this is the case it kills the fun. You are supposed to play the game not fiddle constantly with your gear just because the game mechanics demand so.

But as it looks it's tech versus opinion here. My statement is from the technical, game developer side. Not much you can do against "opinion" calls so I guess I let this stand with this last post.

Porygonal

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Eh... I'm not saying Morrowind is better than Oblivion or vice versa,I'm just saying it's not as bad as you say it is.Nor is Vagrant Story,I guess you'd be more content playing old school rpgs with bland,tired gameplay thats been done thousands of times before... And you couldn't name me a game thats like VS,you just said that there are ''games like it'' but I haven't seen any,nor did you name any.You just can't appreciate it at all... And like I said before... all games have their setbacks,some big,some small,and I don't think VS has such horrible setbacks that it should be considered to be shitty.I've played many rpgs and alot of them just ended being the same ol' turn based FF wannabe type games ''I attack you,you attack me and when you level up you may get some skills'' but that doesn't change the fact that it's still the same tired formula thats been used over and over and over... I was just glad to see a game like VS,because it's nothing like those games and I'm sure if it had a ''popular'' name or if it was a really ''hyped up'' game,that it would have been noticed more.And just because it didn't doesn't automatically make it a terrible game,it's underrated compared to games like Pkm,FF7,CT... Just like all the others I talked about.

choconado

Doesn't understand a damn thing on here
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
And how can you say VS is cliched when mostly EVERY rpg is gunna have you killing dragons...
Uh, I think you just defined "Cliche" with that sentence, actually.
QUOTEI know CT was a unique game for it's time,but then time passed and better rpgs were made and yet there are ppl who still consider CT to be one of the best of all time,I guess I just don't understand why...
Name a similar game that is as good as, or better than CT. Every time someone says there are better games in that style, they always drop the ball at naming specifics.

I'm with Referencer in saying that ALL RPG's are overrated...and I love the genre. The gameplay mechanics are usually fun, but it's been a long time since there was any real "innovation". Unless it's made by square, you're never going to get top-of-the-line graphics, and to be honest, I've never played an RPG whose writing was actually "Good". I.E. there's NEVER been "good" dialog, and the scenarios are either step-by-step predictable, or are so complex that even the writers can't keep track of them. Again, I LOVE the genre, and still see its big flaws left and right.

But anyways, I have to respect that you seem to understand what "Overrated" means, and aren't just trying to knock down favorite games. From what I understand you're saying "Okay, these games you say are great are. But these games that nobody plays are far better." It's more like you're trying to up the underrated games than knock the "overrated" ones.

Porygonal

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Uh, I think you just defined "Cliche" with that sentence, actually.

lol,Then that would mean nearly EVERY rpg is ''cliched'' is what I meant by my statement.

CT was a good game for it's time and maybe it was one of the best rpgs... back then... But like I said before... time passed and better games were made(like the ones I stated in my first post... I grow tired of repeating myself)and I guess some of you haven't played these games,or you'd agree with me.What rpgs could I name that are better that CT?Well,I'd say all the games I stated in my first post are... but I guess I'm the only one who judges games on a ''fun'' factor
tongue.gif
... And I won't say those games that I like have no flaws whatsoever,it's just that I wish they could get as much recognition as some rpgs do... And what exactly makes the games I suggested so great?It's because they're ALL unique with unique,fun gameplay,not your typical FF clone snooze fest.And you want me to explain what makes them so great?Well I just did,what else would you like me to say?And it would be great if they could remake those games since some of them are a little older... But instead I find people wanting remakes of FF7,gimme a break man... Just because the games I talked about may not have been ''popular'' or didn't have a ''popular'' name doesn't mean they're total shit.If thats the case,I guess you're saying that about all games in that regard...

Aeladya

*mistressOFtheCLOW
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would have to say Final Fantasy VII. It's really not as great as people make it out to be. I couldn't even beat it...the plot holes...ugh the game made no sense and to this day I still have no idea why on earth Cloud had to cross dress...

Edgedancer

Director of Moon based operations
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Just thought I would say that I am glad you mentioned Baten Kaitos in your list. Very under-appreciated game. In regards to your opinion about old games like Chrono Trigger, you have to realise that in terms of what it had to work with, games like Chrono Trigger are still among the greatest. By your logic, all of your favourite RPG's will stop being the good as soon as the hardware is dated and new ways of playing are implemented. I am not attempting to attack your opinion but games are going to hold no value for you if you simply just yesterdays games by todays standards. A good example would be that my personal favourite RPG is Golden Sun which is now 10 years old and I have yet to find a game that rivals it.

Raiser

I am mad scientist.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Hop2089 said:
Most RPGs are overrated but there are a few underrated RPGs one being Guardian's Crusade for the PSX.
This.

I do however have a personal passion for Final Fantasy. I enjoy all its RPG aspects from the story to battle systems to customizations to character development.

I actually hate those who call the Xenosaga games bad, but totally worship Xenogears.

Forstride

The rudder moves when I turn the wheel
Trophies
Website
forstride.stormbit.net
XP
Country
United States
Final Fantasy series, TWEWY, and a majority of other RPGs. Sure, it's opinionated, but when people praise games of a certain series, even when they are completely awful (Again, opinion), I can see why people call the games overrated.

asdf

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
TWEWY. I have no idea what people saw in that game. The music sucked, the battle system was crap, and the characters were as generic as you can get. I will admit that the pin system was pretty cool, though.

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's not so much that RPGs are possibly over rated, it's that some good games are likely under rated all because they weren't some franchised brand named RPG.

CyrusBlue

Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Final Fantasy 7
Chrono Trigger
Super Mario RPG

I love Super Mario RPG and Chrono Trigger but fuck Final Fantasy 7. I'm tired of hearing about that garbage and I'm glad it's never getting a remake.

If any RPG needs a remake it's the Breath of Fire games.

Porygonal said:
Tales of Symphonia,Vagrant Story,Shadow Hearts,Baten Kaitos and Legend of Mana

I love these games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: this one +1