p1ng's Nintendo Switch hands-on impressions

Hi guys, I recorded a quick audio log of my thoughts immediately after attending the Nintendo switch hands on preview. The footage taken is from my phone and nothing special, just filler for the sake of showing what the event was like that is relooped halfway through.

I also just saw the prices of the switch peripherals and games, frankly I was disgusted. I felt that I needed to record an extra ten minutes of audio to voice my concerns. The prices for the games and accessories for the switch are purely Nintendo gouging its fanbase. Nothing can justify the prices here, in my opinion if these prices are not lowered by a good 30% across the board the switch is DOA and will fail.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
This may have been asked before, but of all the games you played on TV and off TV, was there any difference in performance, fps and such?
From what I've read there are some framerate issues, especially in undocked mode, p1ng can probably confirm or deny.

Last edited by Foxi4,
Reactions: Deleted User

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
OP
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
This may have been asked before, but of all the games you played on TV and off TV, was there any difference in performance, fps and such?

The Switch screen is ok and fit for purpose, I would say something like the Vita's OLED display has better colours and such though. The thing is we only played bright, colourful, cartoony type games on the switch so it is a bit hard to tell just how good its colour depth is. I would have liked to see some full motion video on it or something like that in order to get a better idea. Most games we played were on a TV but Zelda and Mario Kart I played on both. Although I preferred playing both games on a TV, especially Zelda, I didn't feel like I lost anything from the experience by switching to the Switch's display. Mario Kart was buttery smooth on both and on split screen, I already said Zelda had some framerate issues that may be due to it being an early preview build. The only real criticism I have is that on the Switch display Zelda looked a little jaggy, however it was a little jaggy on the TV too. So it is hard to say if that is due to the screens low resolution or due to the preview build or game itself.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Nintendo are ripping people off with these prices. Before I knew about the pricing I mentioned that I wasn't willing to pay Nintendo prices for their new console and games, and with Nintendo making things even more expensive there's no way in hell that I'd pay for it.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
The HTC vive type controllers were inevitable for VR, you need to manipulate 3D space, they are not aping wii motes even if wiii motes never existed a similar device would be invented for VR.

Also Nintendo didn't invent air mice that were around long before wii motes.

Also waggle doesn't sell in 2017.
Depends on what your waggling :creep:

As for most of people's concerns I would say there is a bit of time for slight pricing revisions, and if all else fails there is the potential for third party accessories that scale back all the features to after a cheaper option, I think with the 2 joycons included people would only really want an addition pro controller or something, and player 2 can have the crappy tiny controller (screw you player 2 :tpi:)

Personally the most concerning thing for me is that the joycon controllers look a bit dinky, I.e where did you put that controller......oh.......errr its gone, not to be seen again for a long time.......I doubt anyone would know at this point but it would be good if they have a sort of "find me" feature (just a option to make them both beep or something accessible just from the tablet) as I can see these going missing very easily

Last edited by gamesquest1,
Reactions: Subtle Demise

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The U.S. doesn't have this problem. Maybe there's some problem going on inside of NOE, and hopefully they will fix this before launch.
Europe, Canada, Australia and many other countries seem to have this problem haha.
399 CAN for Canada due to the exchange rate. I don't know for the other countries though,

vayanui8

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo has so much potential here and they make stupid mistakes as usual. the pricing of the controllers is ridiculous. To everyone defending this bullshit, how do you explain the pro controller price. Its a peripheral that is pretty much mandatory for alot of consumers, is $20 more than the competitions equivalent, and doesn't come with the system. Whoever thought removing the D pad from the joycons is an idiot. I use the D pad heavily in alot of games and the removal of it is completely unjustified. Even if they do make a version with a D pad later down the line it will be another $50 people have to spend just to have a basic input method. The online service is also terrible. They still don't have any of the features the competition offers Voice chat isn't even a system feature, you have to use an app for your phone. Why the hell am I going to want to pay nintendo so I can talk to my friends on my phone when I could use another service like Discord thats free. The free monthly game is just an old SNES or NES game and you don't even get to play it after the month is over, regardless of whether you keep subscribing. Nintendo's online services have been historically terrible, and I see no reason it will change here. Its a complete joke that they think this is acceptable for a paid online service.

I still have hopes for the switch, it has a solid selection of games announced and I'm quite excited for a few of them, Ill be waiting for a while for them to clean themselves up. If their pricing causes it to be another flop like the Wii U I'll pass and it'll be nintendos own fault.

CitizenSnips

a seldom-used crab named Lucky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
full $60 price for arms? no thanks, no thanks at all. Also $50 for 1,2 Switch...not happening, I expected that to come with it as like Wii Sports came with the Wii

Last edited by CitizenSnips,

mechagouki

Kill 'em all...
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I also just saw the prices of the switch peripherals and games, frankly I was disgusted. I felt that I needed to record an extra ten minutes of audio to voice my concerns. The prices for the games and accessories for the switch are purely Nintendo gouging its fanbase. Nothing can justify the prices here, in my opinion if these prices are not lowered by a good 30% across the board the switch is DOA and will fail.

I normally disagree with everything you write, for no good reason other than I personally find you objectionable, but on this point I am in 100% agreement with you. Nintendo need to re-establish themselves in the home console market, and a smart way to do that would be by selling hardware at little to no profit to build a healthy user base. I seem to remember reading somewhere that the original XBOX didn't make any money for MS at all in it's whole lifetime, but it established them as a leader in the marketplace, leading to profitability in 360 and XB1 generations. Nintendo has passed the point where its history and fanbase will ensure its survival (as a home-console manufacturer), the Wii-U proved that, and SEGA already demonstrated what a poor understanding of the marketplace can do to a busines.

The controllers are probably expensive to make, packing all that gadgety crap into them, but the gadgety crap that made the Wii-U expensive proved to be unpopular and underused. I think an option to buy the Switch with just the XBOX-ish controller might appeal to some, especially gamers like myself who don't tae their Vitas out of the house because they are too bulky.

As for the game pricing, we know the media is cheap these days (assuming microSD variant), AAA titles like Zelda, MK, SM have always been pricey, but going back to my earlier point, why not sell 10-20% cheaper than XB1 or PS4 games and get people invested?

I hope this isn't the last Nintendo home(ish) console, maybe they will listen to public opinion and revise pricing before launch, if not then I feel the switch may have a short, sad life. I really hope I'm proved wrong.

Reactions: geodeath

xile6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the pricing is fair to tell the truth.
If you slap a xbox or ps name on it. No one would fuse about the price.
$129 for a xbox elite controller
$60 for a ps4
$80 for a switch thats is in a way 2 controllers

Games are all $60 now

Ps4 is $299 and so is x1

Soni dont see the big fuss about pricing

RemixDeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's pretty ballsy of Nintendo to not make 1, 2, Switch a free game with the system.

They did a free game with Wii (Wii Sports) and Wii U (Nintendo Land) to help introduce the consoles features.

Reactions: Deleted User

ArChYoAtis

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

Hi guys, I recorded a quick audio log of my thoughts immediately after attending the Nintendo switch hands on preview. The footage taken is from my phone and nothing special, just filler for the sake of showing what the event was like that is relooped halfway through.

Hello Brexit prices LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Last edited by raulpica,
Reactions: Catsinabucket

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Seeing as most people can admit the wiiu flopped, surely there is no harm in them rehashing games that probably the majority of people didn't ever play as they had no wiiu (well except for the fans who did stick by them and bought the wiiu)

seems that's just what developers do now days the PS4 lineup is like Groundhog Day for hd remakes and remasters, it's just the hip thing to do now rerelease the same game over and over again

Just waiting for the obligatory twilight princess HHD announcement so we can have the same game on 4 generations in a row :P

Last edited by gamesquest1,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Absolutely ridiculous pricing for accessories. There is nothing that justifies controller prices like this, no matter what kind of tech is in them. DS4 controllers have sixaxis, a touchpad, the works - all they're missing is the kitchen sink and they cost 49,99. There is no reason why a bunch of buttons and an accelerometer should cost this much, the PS4 and XBO controllers are overpriced as-is and Nintendo went far beyond what was already too much. This very well might bury an otherwise interesting, albeit underpowered system.
For the price of a set of JoyCons, you can buy a 2DS

F4LK

Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Just waiting for the obligatory twilight princess HHD announcement so we can have the same game on 4 generations in a row :P
Can't wait for Wind Waker HD HD Deluxe with extra bloom :P
1XnaqTo.png

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/9seCZUSS8zE?si=xMNkLYWrWl6kDH44