Country
Canada

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Download the right ROM from here and install it in TWRP. Note that even if it is the same version installed overtop itself it might mess your phone up (usually just FCs) so backup first! (I know I said this before but I can't help buy reiterate it!)

Castiel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Download the right ROM from here and install it in TWRP. Note that even if it is the same version installed overtop itself it might mess your phone up (usually just FCs) so backup first! (I know I said this before but I can't help buy reiterate it!)

Do I download the version my phone is or just the one I want?

Note: I just remembered that I never actually uninstalled the package installer. As soon as I moved it from /system/apps it disappeared. I don't know if that changes anything or not.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do I download the version my phone is or just the one I want?

Note: I just remembered that I never actually uninstalled the package installer. As soon as I moved it from /system/apps it disappeared. I don't know if that changes anything or not.

You'd pick the one specifically for your phone's model name.

So you moved it out of /system/apps/ and it's no longer in the directory you moved it to? o_o Wouldn't really change anything in the end but that's damn odd.

Castiel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You'd pick the one specifically for your phone's model name.

So you moved it out of /system/apps/ and it's no longer in the directory you moved it to? o_o Wouldn't really change anything in the end but that's damn odd.

I didn't even move it to a different directory. I just simply made it so it was no longer a system app.

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well it has to be at least the same carrier but it is best to use the same version or higher because of bootloader, booychain updates. But before you try that go to the phone settings and see it you can update OTA. This can help save you from having to wipe and reinstall (and prevent possible save games/data loss).

Moving/deleting apks essentially brute-force uninstalls them without removing their private storage and cached files.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Forgive me for being confused, but how do you mean, exactly? Apps in /system/apps/ are system apps, so unless I am terribly mistaken the only way to make it no longer be a system app would be to move it to a different directory (or append a different extension to the end of the filename)

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't even move it to a different directory. I just simply made it so it was no longer a system app.

It may have been renamed to .bak, etc. but it is still the same effect.

I just remembered something. Check to make sure in the developer options that usb debugging is enabled. Turn it on if it isn't and and should connect (after the driver is installed).

Castiel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Forgive me for being confused, but how do you mean, exactly? Apps in /system/apps/ are system apps, so unless I am terribly mistaken the only way to make it no longer be a system app would be to move it to a different directory (or append a different extension to the end of the filename)

That could be. I just used an app to do the work for me :P
But before you try that go to the phone settings and see it you can update OTA.

Please excuse my ignorance, but how do I do this?
I just remembered something. Check to make sure in the developer options that usb debugging is enabled. Turn it on if it isn't and and should connect (after the driver is installed).

I just did this right before you suggested it. USB Debugging was off since it wiped my phone when I unlocked the bootloader.

Okay, so I tried to install it through TWRP, but it kept saying failed. So I tried to install it through cmd using "adb install fix.zip" (I renamed it to fix.zip). and this is the error I get, assuming you can read the picture:
Fix.png

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Still no luck. I'm really starting to think this is a lost cause. Even installing the correct ROM to put the device back to how it was when I first got it isn't working correctly...

This -should- be the right CM11 listing for your phone. http://download.cyanogenmod.org/?device=xt925

And this would be the TWRP (custom recovery) for your phone. IMO better than CWM Recovery. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2302979

But it looks like you already have TWRP installed so you -should- be okay on that.

Download the CM11 for your phone from the CM link above. put it in your Motorola Fix dir or wherever is convenient for you. rename it to cm11 (keeping the .zip extension) just for convenience.

Keep in mind I'm kind of toasted right now lol so these steps may not be 100% exact but I'm kind of going through the same steps on my phone to write this so it should be pretty close. Any incorrect syntax should be able to be figured out by the usage flags that show up in the command prompt.

Anyway, boot into recovery, make a full backup if you haven't already. Backup > and check System, Data, Boot, swipe to back up, let it finish.

Click the home button once it's done. Advanced > ADB Sideload. Swipe to start Sideload.

Start a command prompt in your adk directory and do an "adb devices"

then "adb sideload path to cm11.zip"

After that you -might- need to do a swipe to install, I don't remember, you might not. reboot to system and see if it works. You're not going to have GApps yet so you won't have many apps at all installed. Get GApps here when you need them - http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Google_Apps

If it doesn't work, boot back to recovery and restore your backup and let us know.

If it DOES work (boots, even if you're getting force closes/app not responding, which would be from dirty flashing), boot back to recovery, go into wipe, advanced, and wipe system, data, cache, dalvik. Then repeat the same process above with the adb sideload stuff. This will start you with a clean slate, dirty flashes are seldom a good idea. Reboot to system, make sure it boots. You'll boot straight to the homescreen, no activation most likely. If it did, download the gapps package and repeat the same process as above but maybe just name the file gapps.zip and you're obviously then going to be doing an adb sideload path_to_gapps.zip. You'll be on a clean slate except for anything that was on /sdcard/.

Feel free to wait for anyone elses input on my suggestion considering I'm not exactly sober right now, but I have followed this exact process for my phone without a hitch (SCH-i515, Samsung VZW Galaxy Nexus (toro). I don't have any experience with Motorola devices, but if you have Fastboot access and there are fastboot and adb drivers available for the phone and you can access those functions from your computer, there's very little you can critically fuck up.

Edit - this is assuming you're comfortable running cyanogenmod. If you're not, I CBA to find a stock image for your phone right now. If it's a *.zip you'd fastboot flash filename.img boot, if it's a *.img I think you just fastboot flash filename.img. Been a while since I flashed a stock rom *.img with fastboot, did it recently with cm11 which is a *.zip and where you'd use the first fastboot command.

Reactions: p3rand0r

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You are running the your line as administrator right...? Run it as administrator then "copy link location" and paste it into the command line and move the apk to system/app you can try the adv restore command too but I'm not sure if that only restores backups not single apks.

Castiel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The OTA update is at System Settings - phone info - system update.

I am able to update OTA. What's your suggestion when it's updated?
EDIT: I downloaded it, and pressed install now, but it keeps booting me into recovery mode. Even if I hit reboot - system and it brings me to my actual phone operations, it turns off and boots me into recovery mode again.

I am trying Sickly's method once Cracker responds.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo