Gaming Persona 2: Eternal Punishment - Time for a Fan Translation?

tathra

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wouldn't be great an english patch of the PSX's SMTs?
i'd much rather see the gba versions translated (visionary items expand the story quite a bit, plus there's other additions over the ps1 versions), but really anything newer than the snes one would be a dream come true if for no other reason than being able to see item and equipment stats/descriptions.

ceifadorx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
for shin megami tensei we at least has the ios version in english. i know that the ios version is the gba version ported.
would be nice if someone could import the english script of this version to use for gba.

cj_iwakura

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, SMT iOS is the GBA version, and apart from the iffy control scheme, it's the definitive version of the game by a mile.

I still prefer the SFC OST though.

jDSX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Apologies if this has been addressed

Can't you just take the english script from the old PS1 version and add it in the PSP one somehow? Not too sure if there are any big differences though?

revengerofdeath

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
San Marino
Can't you just take the english script from the old PS1 version and add it in the PSP one somehow? Not too sure if there are any big differences though?

I think it's not that much simple, unfortunately...
If it was so, they could add all the translations from the snes games to their ports on psx (like smt 1, 2, if).

Scorp

Trophies
XP
Country
Kazakhstan
All was recompiled and restructured in PSP version. Added new scenes, new shop dialogues, lot of gaps, things in PS1 location scripts no more present in PSP script (or made in different way) and vice versa. Also tons of text in eboot never helps. Also custom name for Tatsuya (as you now can set the name for him in P2:IS)... So only tedious slow work to migrate content, find all the problems. I was way too optimistic to see this project to be fast. And no one aimed on complete retranslation, that's an edited adaptation of existing PS1 script + Tatsuya scenario translation. If it was a retranslation this would probably taken years.

cj_iwakura

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also, the script has some serious issues. Its heart is in the right place(thank god it doesn't have honorifics like IS PSP), but it has ellipses EVERYWHERE. Not to mention the incorrect names from Revelations(calling Takehisa Kandori 'Guido Sardenia', Maki 'Mary', etc.)

The issues are minor, but they add up to enough impact that they definitely warrant fixing.

SandyFarron

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, definitely not ruling that out. There's a lot of VA in this game, and I do like some of the performances from EP PS1.
Hi there; I know I'm waaay late to reply to this, and I know this is neither here nor there, but you'd have to do something with the "incorrect" Revelations: Persona names spoken in the dialogue, like Ellen, Guido, etc. It'd be really easy to remove them, I'm doing so in Audacity now.

I'd like to help, and the voice clips are actually on YouTube, so I'm gonna link to both parts of the video and list all the "wrong names" with their corresponding times. I'm pretty sure this is just a raw dump from the voice data.

2:42 - Maya: Ellen, do you have a boyfriend?
3:42 - Nanjo: Guido, you acknowledged your weakness before.
10:51 - Chizuru: Master Guido, allow me. (You may also need to take the "Master" part out of there.)
12:14 - Sudou: I'll make you remember. If this guy doesn't eat you, come to the Sky Museum! (Not as important as the previous names, but the Museum is known as the Aerospace Museum in Innocent Sin for PSP, so maybe there's a way to edit out the "Sky" part?)

3:14 - Maya: Nate, do you have a dream?

There are only two movies with voice acting in the entire game, so hopefully it's not a problem to swap audio.

Hope this isn't overbearing. :) I'm not requesting or demanding, just trying to be of some help.

My thanks for this to the team, regardless of what gets done!

Last edited by SandyFarron,

Tobi555

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello I'm new how far along is the script in terms of edits to accurate Japanese names? Also after the scripts done how much is left to do? Is the project technically almost done? Sorry for all the questions just been wanting to play this game bad for awhile now and don't wanna play the Americanized version <.< XD

cj_iwakura

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Uh, a ways to go. Keep in mind Nanjo and Elly appear at several, SEVERAL locations, not to mention all the references to 'Guido', 'Mary', etc. It takes time.

Tobi555

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the Japanese VA clips are going to be kept will they be subtitled or is there no need to subtitle them because the translated script potentially explains what they already say? Just curious never played EP :)

cj_iwakura

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All the voices in-game are usually subbed(i.e. when you contact a boss or do negotiations), except for start and end of battle quips(i.e. 'the whoop-ass completed!').

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: horny jail is full la